just cant leave well enough along.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
So, you know me.not a big computer user..simple..get me email and search for rockets, motorcycles ,parts and pieces and TRF.
I get home and goes to get me email and the whole page is totally different now. And to tell the truth,it looks like a page from back in the 80s.Amitureish
Have to learn where **** is all over again. WTF? I cant find my addy book? maybe that all gone?
Amazes me how we think tech is soooooooooooooooooooooo great!

Time to start scanning your computer for a virus. Might not be anything but when something like that happens that I don't expect the computer gets a deep scan.

Terry

We naturally love comfort..
Comfort is knowing where everything is,,
being familiar with a layout of frequently used items...
The manufacturer has a secret sensor in our computers..
They know when we're really getting comfortable and familiar with them...
That's when they do an automatic 3 am operating system upgrade....lol...

Teddy

Learn to use your tech. Read about it, learn about it, and try to understand how it works. It will make your life easier.

Like a couple people in my family who keep asking repetitive questions about their tech, and can seemingly mess up the simplest things. I got tired of hearing about it, and told them that if they cannot work their tech they should not have it.

Welcome to my wife, I mean life:) I had to start writing instructions on the TV and controllers to describe selecting the tv input and turning on the blu-ray player or roku stick for a while, she still relapses into ignorance from time to time.....

Frank

Learn to use your tech. Read about it, learn about it, and try to understand how it works. It will make your life easier.

Like a couple people in my family who keep asking repetitive questions about their tech, and can seemingly mess up the simplest things. I got tired of hearing about it, and told them that if they cannot work their tech they should not have it.

Not even close to me life and tech. I'm as low tech as most get. It is NOT going to make me life easier by spending countless hours learning tech I will never use.

Ya..OK...today I had a small glitch that I made mention of..not the end of the world for me by any means.
I don't use, or I should say, need a computer for work.

Now, I do understand your point of rep "Qs". That's why,again, I keep it very simple. Low tech.
I don't even do the rocket sim thingys.

OH YA...this..
That is EXACTLY what they (the techies) want you to believe.

I called me server and they told me it WAS THEM that changed the look of the page. WOW, dodge another bullet... :lol: :eyeroll:

And again. just because we have the tech,doesnt mean its a better product or system just cuz we load it up with a bunch of crap.

I used to pull into the gas station and a man would fill it up,check the oil,wash the window and give me a smile when he took me coin.
Took maybe a minute or two depending on the fill up.
Now, I get out,freeze me balls off in the blowing wind,cold,snow,ect. swipe the card, asked for pin# asked for zip code, what you want for octane...some now have leds screens with the news playing loud enough to drowned out me "Wide Spread Panic" I mean,you are a captive audience .Again,while standing outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some ask if you want a coffee and donut, carcwash. ect on the tab. ..You get me point ?
I worked at a 66 gas station in Manchester NH and did the service check when pumping gas.One thing I can say is," I met a lot of different people." :jaw:

With me, when it comes to tech,less is better.

Like you said..if ya dont need or cant learn to use it...don't have it.

Last edited:
My computer is my tech. No smart phone here!!!! Don't need it. I hate upgrades unless I really need them, and if I don't, I turn the automatic updates OFF! I leave them turned off all the time anymore. They either change things or make some older software obsolete. My computer is where my job is, so I really can't work without it. It's taking a lot for me to get used to having to ditch XP for Win 7. Nothing is the least bit easier. If anything, many things don't work as good as they used to, and some not at all. They hid things in the dumbest places and put the necessary items you need for preferences in hidie-holes that are hard to find or remember where they are. Win 10 was even worse! I was ready to break out the sledge hammer. Win 7 f***ed my Mozilla Thunderbird up, and now I can't attach certain files in a reply or a new message without first finding the file, right clicking it and send to mail recipient. That's friggin screwy!

Scotty, I'm with you man.

Mark, learning the tech is bad enough already, but it's those stupid changes that get my goat.

I understand about changes- deal with that all the time as a network admin. I am pretty tech savvy- I do not struggle with tech.

I read all sorts of stuff to learn. Have to read, learn, and experiment. Nature of the beast.

Unannounced changes can be problematic. I think a lot of software manufacturers really use the world as their beta testers. This sucks. Now imagine that you are responsible for a thousand users and all of their tech and a unannounced "feature" pops up. Not fun.

I do stand by thinking most folks would be better served by spending more time learning about the tech they use. Their are how to's for most things- read and experiment. Knowing more is better than knowing less.

Mark,

It's not really that simple" "read up on the tech, learn it, etc..." I'd rather it be left alone, as I have it set up how I like, and am used to the lay-out, and read up about other things, learn other stuff that's more important to me, than trying to figure out why my Windows explorer suddenly changed from the detailed list to a bunch of icons, and which some seem to be missing ("windows has now hidden some files as we feel you do not need to see them, and altering them may damage your system...") and so forth..

I'm still struggling with the windows "Ribbon" menu style. hate it hate it hate it... 1" of my screen is now devoted to it, and I have silly little pictures for things that were once words. I still use keyboard short cuts, as I'm faster with the keyboard rather than reaching for my mouse for each & every command... (And half the pictures turn into pull down menus anyways!)

Adobe Acrobat is the latest to give itself a make-over.. Surprise! figure out where all the stuff went, that you used to know.

It's kinda been proven, that a major (software) update tends to slow production down for a short time, as we all try to figure it out, where stuff went, what changed...

I'm still trying to figure out why I need "Cortana" or why I need certain tiles in my start menu.. Weather: I can have a windows app in my start menu, or I can open the internet and go to a proper, dedicated weather site for it, and usually with a bit more info.. I've done the internet thing for years. why change? why is the M$ app better?

In reality it will not be left alone so frankly you need to get past that idea. Time marches on as does tech. I do agree that some of the upgrades are not always easier to use, and yes, they can slow production.

You cannot change the above so instead of fighting it perhaps embracing it is the better stance. It is not worth getting upset about- change, death, and taxes are the only three constants in the universe.

The people who write viruses, ransomware, and other malware designed to steal your financial information, identity, tax returns, and private photos love people who don't keep their systems updated.
All those other useless features, like Cortana, can be turned off.

Steve Shannon

Welcome to my wife, I mean life:) I had to start writing instructions on the TV and controllers to describe selecting the tv input and turning on the blu-ray player or roku stick for a while, she still relapses into ignorance from time to time.....
Frank

I too had pages of written instructions for the entertainment center and its 7 remotes. Enter Logitech Harmony remote, aka the marriage saver. One remote does all, and very simply. It was great for the geek in me (I knew it was meant to be when the first thing I had to do was flash a firmware update to it!). Once set up with all my gear, it's as simple as clicking "watch a DVD" and the right components and inputs are all selected.

OK, now back to the PC issues...

Here's another dumb upgrade. Let's use Win Media Player. Used to be, I could click on a song in my HD, and it played with the full screen visual psychedelics. Which I had an option to turn off if I wanted to. Now, I have to figure out why I only get a user unfriendly box. OH, I see there is this library thing....huh!!! OK, how does this work? Hmmmm, (3 days later) Let's hit these little dropdowns and see what's in there. OH, that's where they hid the tool bar function. Geez! That ought to be standard since you can't operate without it. Turn that on and I see where the skins are. YAY.....I found....something. Now I get this box of sorts that won't go full screen, but as long as I download the visuals, I get the psychedelics back. OH, so at least I can stretch it out some to make it bigger. WHAT? No way to play consecutively anymore? Just 1 song at a time? That sucks. Now heaven forbid I should turn it off. Everything goes back to square 1 and I have to reconfig the whole thing again to get what I want. That totally sucks.

All they did was make it harder to play with. So in a nutshell, I really have no control over how my computer operates. That is, unless I discover that I didn't find that illusive "SAVE" function that keeps it like I want it for next time I use it.

ARRRRRG!

Here's another dumb upgrade. Let's use Win Media Player. Used to be, I could click on a song in my HD, and it played with the full screen visual psychedelics.
I use Winamp for music - don't need the psychedelics. For video, I use VLC Media Player - plays almost any video file format.

Back