"Hidden Figures" movie - Great Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
The movie "Hidden Figures" (about African-American women who worked in the space program) has some great views of Mercury Redstone, Atlas, and Vostok (?) rockets.

Excellent movie for the scale rocketeer.

I would rather see a movie about Apollo 12. Just like Ron Howard made Apollo 13 in 1995 he should make an Apollo 11. That would be a movie to see.

As the father of a bright African-American girl, I couldn't be happier with this movie. I'm so glad this story is being told.

I would rather see a movie about Apollo 12. Just like Ron Howard made Apollo 13 in 1995 he should make an Apollo 11. That would be a movie to see.

Hidden Figures is a movie to see. Well acted and a wonderful story. Just like in the movie Apollo 13 (and in real life) it shows hw the human spirit can overcome obstacles.

Hidden Figures is a movie to see. Well acted and a wonderful story. Just like in the movie Apollo 13 (and in real life) it shows hw the human spirit can overcome obstacles.

+1. They took a few historical and technical liberties, but otherwise it told a relatively unknown story not only about the 3 AA women, but other back-office people who worked on the space program at the dawn of both the space age and the computing age. (there aren't too many other movies about practicing mathematicians, for example, unless they are breaking secret codes or doing other spy-movie stuff)

I thought the idea, message and acting were great and I hope it encourages all people to go into the science fields, women, minorities, everyone! I enjoyed it a lot. I think the things these women had to put up with were rediculous even if not unique to them I'm sure.

I didn't like the fact that it made most of the engineers look like idiots, like the fact that no-one seemed to know that a redstone couldn't put a capusle in an orbit, they would have figured that out long back, and like the fact that they were two weeks away from a launch and had no idea about orbital mechanics or a way to calculate a return point from orbit....
and a few other things like exploding rockets supposed to be redstones that were not. I also questioned whether they would have ordered or installed an IBM mainframe without any thought to having people trained to program it.

In the end though those things didn't bother me and I left the movie with a good feeling.

Frank

Last edited:
I didn't like the fact that it made most of the engineers look like idiots, like the fact that no-one seemed to know that a redstone couldn't put a capusle in an orbit, they would have figured that out long back, and like the fact that they were two weeks away from a launch and had no idea about orbital mechanics or a way to calculate a return point from orbit....
and a few other things like exploding rockets supposed to be redstones that were not, most of the explostions they had were not redstones anyway, were early atlas tests etc...
Frank

It is a standard movie technique to make the supporting characters as one dimensional as they can so the main character can shine. I agree that they overdid it. It is ludicrous that the engineers wouldn't know the things you pointed out. I admit I winced at those scenes, but they have to throw a lot at you in 2 hours so I chalk it up to artistic license. I wish there was a better way to do it.

They rarely get the exploding rocket, airplane, whatever correct. I think they figure most people don't know enough to care. Then again, when they go to considerable pains to create a reasonable facsimile they can also get ripped apart. On another forum I remember people screaming on how awful it was in Saving Private Ryan that they used a heavily modified T-34 to represent a Tiger I. Honestly, I'm big into armor and I didn't notice the Tiger wheels (the one major thing they didn't try to modify) were wrong the first time I watched the movie. But to some people that was sacrilege and made the entire movie complete garbage.

+1. They took a few historical and technical liberties, but otherwise it told a relatively unknown story not only about the 3 AA women, but other back-office people who worked on the space program at the dawn of both the space age and the computing age. (there aren't too many other movies about practicing mathematicians, for example, unless they are breaking secret codes or doing other spy-movie stuff)

Hollywood does that most of the time, they take liberties the way they see fit. They just want to make money. That is why when a movie does not make lots of money they gripe.

Back