Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Mini clone Colonial Viper

I recently got the 24mm Super Viper from More Rockets, and decided to try building a min dia 13mm clone from cardstock, (see thread in the mid power forum) The first trial was just from some spare paper and roughly scaled 32% from the geometry of the Super Viper. When I started to make a decal sheet for that one, I decided to make a printable template with the artwork already on the body and turbo tubes and the fins. Went together fairly easily, might need to make some minor tweaks. Here are the two mini clones, the first one has a first coat of white, needs the decal sheet, the second one was ink jet printed with the decal artwork on the paper. Fins are just 5 ply laminated cardstock. I plan to add a launch lug and engine hook. The nose cone is modified from the 13 mm template in the Project Paper thread here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	309640

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	309639

Last edited by GlenP; 18th January 2017 at 09:41 AM.

Looks great. I've been thinking of doing a mini Viper, myself.

Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright at AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    NAR #103560 L1 6/25/17 Estes Leviathan CTI H175-SS
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Great work Glen!
    I'd love to get a PDF of your mini Colonial Viper.
    Be sure to put your name and the name of the model on your PDF.

If you are looking for a place to host your carded PDF (and make it available to many others),
    email Wayne Hill at The Rocketry Blog. Check out his "Ultimate Paper rocket Guide".
    https://rocketry.wordpress.com/about/
    He has got a huge collection of carded models and will list it giving you name credit.
    All my carded models are there.
    Hans "Chris" Michielssen
    Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

www.oddlrockets.com
    www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
    http://www.nar.org/educational-resou...ng-techniques/
    Your results may vary
    "Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
    Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
    Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!

Quote Originally Posted by hcmbanjo View Post
    Great work Glen!
    I'd love to get a PDF of your mini Colonial Viper.
    Be sure to put your name and the name of the model on your PDF.

If you are looking for a place to host your carded PDF (and make it available to many others),
    email Wayne Hill at The Rocketry Blog. Check out his "Ultimate Paper rocket Guide".
    https://rocketry.wordpress.com/about/
    He has got a huge collection of carded models and will list it giving you name credit.
    All my carded models are there.
    Many thanks! I would be happy to pass the PDF along to share. I have a couple of updates pending, I am making a B-side template that will color the inside of the turbos in red, just run the paper through the printer flipped over. I did this trick on my Groove Tube template.

The Bob Harrington Satellite Interceptor was my gateway into the cardstock models. My first test mini Viper's laser cannon was just a toothpick, on the next iteration I added a little cardstock wrap around the toothpick, similar to the Dr. Zooch trick of a using cardstock-wrapped dowel on the Soyuz.

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	310697

I attached the shock cord to a chute line to the top turbo tube, this is just aft of the balance point with a spent engine, so the streamer recovery will be in more of a horizontal landing approach orientation like the model is suspended in the picture. The nose cone has a slightly extended shoulder that is full of clay, since the front part of the chamfered cone portion is hollow.

Also, I found some empty tissue and paper towel rolls in the recycle bin that have the makings of a Colonial Wiper. :-). Sorry, it just had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by GlenP View Post
    Also, I found some empty tissue and paper towel rolls in the recycle bin that have the makings of a Colonial Wiper. :-). Sorry, it just had to be done.
    Haven't been here in a while...just saw your "Colonial Wiper" and you have my (belated) vote for winning the internet last January 31st!

Quote Originally Posted by GlenP View Post

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	310697

I attached the shock cord to a chute line to the top turbo tube, this is just aft of the balance point with a spent engine, so the streamer recovery will be in more of a horizontal landing approach orientation like the model is suspended in the picture. The nose cone has a slightly extended shoulder that is full of clay, since the front part of the chamfered cone portion is hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lone_Beagle View Post
    Haven't been here in a while...just saw your "Colonial Wiper" and you have my (belated) vote for winning the internet last January 31st!
    Anyone who makes a crack about Klingons will have to answer to ME!
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    Anyone who makes a crack about Klingons will have to answer to ME!
    The Klingons would now be on Uranus. Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Actually, that Colonial Wiper might actually fly if we put a motor mount in it (and a nose cone, although it might fly without one).