Where do you do your ejection ground tests?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test in my back yard. Rocket set up with a kids playset to prevent it from backing up and some cheap Harbor Freight moving blankets laid out on the ground. Works just fine. I've done as much as 3g. With laundry in place, it's not much more noise than slamming a door.

Here is my outdoor test with 1.5g FFFFg black powder. Turn up the volume and listen. Sounds just like a slammed door. Good sound analogy by BanzaiBB there. The tubing and laundry really muffle the sound.

[video=youtube;eB8vqssPK-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8vqssPK-w[/video]

Here is my outdoor test with 1.5g FFFFg black powder. Turn up the volume and listen. Sounds just like a slammed door. Good sound analogy by BanzaiBB there. The tubing and laundry really muffle the sound.

Hmmm, that doesn't seem bad at all. That helps - thanks!

In the yard. I'm within the town limits (just barely) and have had no issue. My yard is real private, only one adjacent house. I figure if it was bothering anyone the cops that fuel up and hang out at the bottom of the hill would be by to inquire--they have not. This is charges up to 6g.

I've tested the tender descender in the basement. When no one else was home, and sprayed febreeze afterward to not set off Nikki's nose. She doesn't read the forum, and it's not like anyone here is gonna say anything... Right?

Right?

Later!

--Coop

Brian, you can always come to my house and test. Surely lots closer than jean. My house is by the airport and my neighbors are (only one) are super cool and aware of my hobbies. Actually its a really small gated community, and all my neighbors often stop by to check out whatever im working on.

You have my number?

Brian, you can always come to my house and test. Surely lots closer than jean. My house is by the airport and my neighbors are (only one) are super cool and aware of my hobbies. Actually its a really small gated community, and all my neighbors often stop by to check out whatever im working on.

You have my number?
Thanks a ton, Rob. I don't have your number & didn't see it on our Tripoli site. I'm taking care of a sick daughter today, so I don't know when I'll be able to test it. I'll PM you my number in a bit.

I also need to do an anti-rain dance for this Saturday. No rain please!

I test in my backyard, or my dads. The first time I was doing a test I sent an email out on our neighborhood email list to let everyone know what was up. No one had any issues.

We live on a small Christmas Tree farm, so I do it in the field. We used 4G of FFFF black powder and I was surprised at how little noise there actually was - I expected a bang like a rifle, but it was more of just a big "whump."

My backyard. I tested a 20+ year old D motor in my backyard once just to see if the batch of them were still good, and it made more noise than the deployment test. The ejection charge was just a dull thud, there are people shooting off rifles and shotguns in the open land behind my subdivision all the time so most people just don't notice anymore.

We live on a small Christmas Tree farm, so I do it in the field. We used 4G of FFFF black powder and I was surprised at how little noise there actually was - I expected a bang like a rifle, but it was more of just a big "whump."

So true, did my first one expecting somewhat of a bang, it was a whump. Popping champange bottles in the backyard is louder.

Test in your neighbors backyard and then hurry home before the police arrive!!! Just a thought. I test in my backyard. The sound is not very loud and it's so brief I don't think anyone even notices. It's more of a thud than a pop like a firecracker.

Test in your neighbors backyard and then hurry home before the police arrive!!!
Now we're talkin'!!

I have a few moving blankets ready and ran some wiring to connect to the charge. I'll sneak over to my neighbor's backyard soon. ;)
IMG_9548.jpg

I might go test my Formula200 at my mom's house. She is kind of rural, and it is not unusual to hear a shotgun now and then.

I ground test in the front yard.

I live around the corner from the Police station and never have had any problems.

IMG_1489.jpg

Used to be back yard. After 16 years I've learned my neighbors tolerate me so front yard it is. Haven't had the cops called on me yet lol.

I'm kind of in the same boat. What I do is let the neighbors know what I'm doing and invite them over to watch, or push the button. I figure they won't call the cops if they are involved too. It also makes for nice opportunity to socialize with the neighbors and in our transient area, that's a good thing.

Back