Estes Saturn V scale fin size?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twotired

Reaction score
I'm soon to begin building an Estes 1:100 Saturn V (older version, #2001) with balsa fins. I know the fins are larger than true 100th scale, so I'm thinking of making fins from clear Lexan and painting the correct fin image and size on the clear plastic so I'll get both the stability and appearance of scale fins. However, I can't find how much larger the kit's too-large-for-scale fins are. Anyone know?

David Takemoto-Weerts
JPL Solar System Ambassador
Nat'l Assoc. of Rocketry, L1 high power
Davis/UC Davis Astronomy Clubs
Davis, CA

There are a number of internet sources for the dimensions of the Saturn V. I've even seen details on the fin's internal construction. Once you get the real size, divide measurements by 100.

You might consider making the clear fins removable, and attach scale fins, so that the display model looks realistic.

Last edited:
I'm soon to begin building an Estes 1:100 Saturn V (older version, #2001) with balsa fins. I know the fins are larger than true 100th scale, so I'm thinking of making fins from clear Lexan and painting the correct fin image and size on the clear plastic so I'll get both the stability and appearance of scale fins. However, I can't find how much larger the kit's too-large-for-scale fins are. Anyone know?

David Takemoto-Weerts
JPL Solar System Ambassador
Nat'l Assoc. of Rocketry, L1 high power
Davis/UC Davis Astronomy Clubs
Davis, CA

David,

Give some thought to using the Lexan as a core, sandwiched between "true scale" 3-dimensional "fins", constructed on either side of the Lexan, rather than just being "painted-on".

Fin%20with%20rivets.gif

Dave F.

I do not know what the current Estes fin size is, but here is what the dimensions should be at 1/100 scale:

Fin.Scale.1.100.jpg

Greg

Back