Source for 3/8" Tubular Kevlar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm working on a recovery harness. I have a very specific design in mind. Sewing can be difficult on 1/4". And 1/2" is way too big. I'd really like to use 3/8" Tubular Kevlar. I cannot find a source for it. I'm actually having issues finding any plain Tubular Kevlar in this size. Even 11/16" seems impossible to find. I can order a premade harness, but making it myself is just something I want to do. Plus it's a nice cost cutter.

Any idea where I can locate some?

onebadhawk comes to mind for both 3/8 and 11/32 . emmakites' 3/8 is supposed to be a bit tighter weave which apparently doesn't allow for splicing

onebadhawk comes to mind for both 3/8 and 11/32 . emmakites' 3/8 is supposed to be a bit tighter weave which apparently doesn't allow for splicing

I looked at One Bad Hawk. I couldn't find just the Kevlar for sale. Only complete harnesses.

I used to buy all my Kevlar from Rocketry Warehouse. They said MadCow was picking up their entire line of products, but the Kevlar selection room does not appear to have been one of them.

I looked at One Bad Hawk. I couldn't find just the Kevlar for sale. Only complete harnesses.

I used to buy all my Kevlar from Rocketry Warehouse. They said MadCow was picking up their entire line of products, but the Kevlar selection room does not appear to have been one of them.

For almost every listing at OBH, there's a per-foot price called out for custom lengths. Shoot Teddy a message letting him know -exactly- what you want, and I'm fairly certain you'll end up in good shape.

For almost every listing at OBH, there's a per-foot price called out for custom lengths. Shoot Teddy a message letting him know -exactly- what you want, and I'm fairly certain you'll end up in good shape.

I'll go look again. Maybe I missed it. And yes, I didn't think to email Teddy and just ask.

Teddy for sure, best place for anything harness related.

You got a link for a viable source other than just saying eBay. I've never had any luck there myself, search returns lots of bicycle tires which, try as I might, does not make a good recovery harness.

Chris' rockets sells 1/2", it is really flexible and easy to work with. Yeah I know its not 3/8" but...
https://www.csrocketry.com/recovery-supplies/shock-chord/1/2-tubular-kevlar.html

I don't see 3/8" tubular kevlar at One Bad Hawk, maybe I missed it.

Mikey D

Our 1/4" is just like the 3/8" listed on Ebay. The manufacture calls it 1/4" but its closer to 3/8" and rated at 3600lbs

Teddy has it just shoot him an email, I talked to him today :wink:

I just have to say, thank you all. I can always count on you guys. All of the offerings may not have been viable, but look how many options I now know I have.

I know you asked for tubular kevlar, but if you do a search on ebay for "kevlar mule tape" it is available in 3/8" and 1/2" fairly cheap.

I was able to score some lengths of 1/2" the electricians were throwing away. It is very flexible. Should be easy to sew as well.

I was going to add MAC. Their stuff is what you are looking for.

If you order from Chris' Rocket Supplies, his "half inch" is lighter than the 3/8" stuff from MAC, and MUCH looser weave. It pulls tight at about 1/4" wide. I'm pretty sure it is designed as a protective sheath for nominally 1/2" cables. It expands to a large diameter, at a cost of length, so you could fit it over some rather large cables, but I doubt the manufacturer even rated the stuff for tensile strength. There's no way it's as strong at the stuff from MAC. But you could probably splice it by tucking it inside itself, something you can't do with the heavy duty stuff like MAC and others sell.

Back