Mobius Action Cam overheating when installed in an Adaptive Aerospace shroud?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
Anyone ever have problem with their Mobius Action Cam overheating when installed in an Adaptive Aerospace shroud while sitting on the pad? With the cameras heat sink being covered by the shroud it might be that the camera could overheat while waiting for launch, particularly on a hot day in direct sunlight. Anyone know why the shroud is not cut out to expose the heat sinks?

Never had that problem especially launching in Florida. Have had rocket sit on pad for 30+ minutes at times.

My shrouds have slots for the heat sinks to be in the open air. Never had one overheat yet.

Your Adaptive Aerospace shroud has slots? Do you have a picture that I can reference when I contact Adaptive?

Are you asking about the Additive Aerospace shrouds, or Adaptive Aerospace?

Same here, no issues with the camera flying in CA sun, even on 100+ degree days. Now I did have a Mobius shroud deform when sitting in the sun without a camera in it. Camera wouldn't fit in it anymore, discovered that after crashing one camera so I thought perhaps the newer one was a different dimension, but it turned out to be the shroud that changed size. Probably didn't help that I'd painted the shroud black to match the rocket. :p

First link is dead. The shroud looks great, but I am more interested in a picture of the Mobius heatsink itself.

You looking at it. In either link including the link from a previous post. Both pictures show the shroud and the camera.

I don't know why this thread is still going. The OP asked about a Mobius camera overheating in an Additive Aerospace shroud and myself and others have stated we've had no overheating problems in any kind of weather. Seems pretty simple to me.

In post 3 Dave A. said his housing had slot for the heat sinks. People are wondering what heat sinks he was referencing. I don't recall seeing any.

It's on the camera.

If you are looking at top side you are looking straight at it, hence my question since the shroud covers them. There may be some type of additional accessory that the metal pads are intend to contact when installed but I don't no of one and it wouldn't work for a rocket anyway so I don't know what CORZERO is asking about.

Sorry

I don't know why this thread is still going. The OP asked about a Mobius camera overheating in an Additive Aerospace shroud and myself and others have stated we've had no overheating problems in any kind of weather. Seems pretty simple to me.

My camera does start to warm up so I do have some concerns it could overheat. Dave A mentioned that his shroud had slots. If Additive made them that way at some point I'd love to see a picture, but I don't think he ever replied. :-(

Sorry, but been off grid for a few days.
My Additive shrounds do not have slots for the heat sinks but thought about drilling and cutting some with a drimmel.

Thanks Dave, no worries... I thought about that too. Speculating that it would unnecessarily complicate the 3D print. Based on everyone's comments I'll just wait and see as they always can be cut out later.

Here is some info about the installation. All-in-all the design is pretty good, couple of improvements would include 1) a cover screw that does not screw through the shroud base and into the air-frame, the screw is simply to long given the thickness of the base 2) mounting holes the align radially, I had to enlarge the recessed holes to accommodate the angle and screw heads.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMarvinWrightRocket/posts/1284739248287743

Did it want to bond to the plastic? How has the finish held up? Flaking, Chipping?

I didnt see/notice any bond issues, and it has held up really well! If I had to do it over again, I might suggest using an adhesion promoter also.

I might suggest using an adhesion promoter also.

"Great minds..." On plastic nosecones I always remove oils, sand, and apply an adhesion promoter BEFORE I prime with a filler primer. Plan to do the same thing with the shroud.

Back