29mm GPS trackers...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the first real HPR Eggfinder test out at Eagle Eye, along with a beta tester. If you don't have a good tracker there, you don't get your rocket back. We drove right up to both rockets...

This all makes me want to solder up the Eggfinder I got last month...and go fly rockets in Phoenix. I may have to make the drive from Vegas.

Eagle Eye can be challenging even with a beacon, lots of mesquite scrub brush. With GPS it's easy, and the Eggfinders are popular in the club. So solder yours up and make the drive! The monthly launches are always a two day affair, so that might help make the drive worthwhile. We're a laid back group of altitude junkies, always a good time.

This was directly from our club officer that handles waivers. Have you renewed yet?

Just a FYI, I have been working with the FAA for our waiver for the upcoming flying season. There has been a change in Washington that lowered the highest altitude for all waivers from 25,000 msl to 18,000 msl. (Roughly 17,400 feet above our field). This was done at the national level to standardize the airspace which matches FAA airspace classifications (Class A goes from 18,000 to 60,000 MSL).

We can get higher launch windows into Class A airspace but they will have to done in 45 days in advance, for each rocket, and specific date and times which will go to Washington for approval.

We will be operating on our current wiaver till it expires, then we go to the new one.

So 64K what the heck if 25K was the limit? :confused:

None of the above makes much sense. I think someone is misinterpreting something. Washington has not lowered waivers to 18,000msl.

Last edited:
So.... how does that change the altitude of the standing wavier? Are you saying you request waivers for every launch 45 days in advance so you can fly some of the rockets above 18K?

I have a COA that lasts a year at a time. That's what I have to request 45 days in advance. Then, during the year I can activate it up to 52,000' MSL, which is a little more than 46,000' AGL, whenever I need. The procedure for activation is as follows.
If people in our club need more than 25k MSL they have to let me know in advance. Otherwise that's all I activate the COA for.
Three days before a launch I call or email a person at Salt Lake ATC and let that person know how high we intend to fly, what time our launch will begin and what time we will shut down for the day. He puts together a briefing sheet which he sends to the controllers. He also puts in a TFR for us.
At the same time I notify him I request a NOTAM for the launch day.
On the day of the launch I call the controllers and let them know 30 minutes before our launch begins. They have my cell number so they can call me if they need me to halt the launch.
At the end of our launch day I call the controllers again and let them know we're done. Then I call and cancel the NOTAM.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
I did the first real HPR Eggfinder test out at Eagle Eye, along with a beta tester. If you don't have a good tracker there, you don't get your rocket back. We drove right up to both rockets...
Yeah, I'm looking forward to flying with it. I have a semi-DIY GPS telemetry solution in my current HPR that has a ~3 mile range, so I haven't needed it yet. This just highlights that I need more rockets! The Eggfinder should fit perfectly in that 38mm min-diameter rocket I should order parts for. :)

Eagle Eye can be challenging even with a beacon, lots of mesquite scrub brush. With GPS it's easy, and the Eggfinders are popular in the club. So solder yours up and make the drive! The monthly launches are always a two day affair, so that might help make the drive worthwhile. We're a laid back group of altitude junkies, always a good time.

Sounds great. I probably won't make the trip with my 29MD rocket. Once I get a 38 going with the Eggfinder in it, it seems like good clean fun.

Last edited:
I have a COA that lasts a year at a time. That's what I have to request 45 days in advance. Then, during the year I can activate it up to 52,000' MSL, which is a little more than 46,000' AGL, whenever I need. The procedure for activation is as follows.
If people in our club need more than 25k MSL they have to let me know in advance. Otherwise that's all I activate the COA for.
Three days before a launch I call or email a person at Salt Lake ATC and let that person know how high we intend to fly, what time our launch will begin and what time we will shut down for the day. He puts together a briefing sheet which he sends to the controllers. He also puts in a TFR for us.
At the same time I notify him I request a NOTAM for the launch day.
On the day of the launch I call the controllers and let them know 30 minutes before our launch begins. They have my cell number so they can call me if they need me to halt the launch.
At the end of our launch day I call the controllers again and let them know we're done. Then I call and cancel the NOTAM.

Steve Shannon

That sounds like that same process we go through. Something is amiss, would not be the first time I have heard about a regulator telling those they regulate something that was not correct. :mad:

That sounds like that same process we go through. Something is amiss, would not be the first time I have heard about a regulator telling those they regulate something that was not correct. :mad:

I guess time will tell. I can't tell where you are. I'm in Montana, which is in the Western region for FAA. I think most of the higher COAs are in the Western region, Argonia, Black Rock, Lucerne, Brothers, Bonneville Salt Flats...

Steve Shannon

Back