Rocket company to 3-D print rocket fuel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igotnothing

Reaction score
I'm surprised at this patent, honestly. I've read several research papers from universities and space agencies from the last 5ish years doing exactly this.

Before reading the story I was pretty concerned about printing-voids and unexpected surface area that could lead to overpressure.
...Then I saw it was a hybrid, so that makes me feel better.

This is interesting. 3D printing could definitely allow for more complex oxidizer channels than by conventional coring. This may be a necessary step towards bringing hybrids into a more commercially applicable condition.

As usual, another ridiculous patent covering things people have been doing for a long time now. 3D printing hybrid fuel grains is mind-numbingly obvious to anyone familiar with both technologies. Rocket uses plastic for fuel, let's make weird geometry with 3D printers.

I seen / heard of some companies grabbing ideas, applying for the patent, then pulling the rug out from under the original guy / producer..

The cost of applying for a patent though, can be extremely prohibitive for some, if not most!

Back