Estes Pro Series II 24" Nylon chutes and HPR - fix or forget?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to do for a chute for my 2.5" Javelin. I could order another 24" chute more suited to HPR but I have a couple extra 24" Estes nylon chutes sitting here and would like to use them somewhere.

I've been wondering: What would need to be done to beef them up for HPR rockets? As in ~1.5lb rocket on I motors. I've already had one line rip out on a G motor flight that ejected a bit early.

Sew the lines on a bit more secure? Or just leave the Estes ones for MPR and spend another $15-20 for an "HPR" one?

A small chute, even attached to a heavy rocket, never really has to withstand much weight. The important thing is to break the rocket apart so it's not coming down ballistic. I would try the nylon chute you have.

I've used the Estes PSII chutes for several small HPR rockets, they're fine. The only one that I managed to tear up was one that deployed at about 100' due to a failed drogue ejection charge... the main was set to 400', it was just enough to keep the rocket from being destroyed. I'll trade a torn up chute for an intact rocket any day.

if the Estes chute is the right size for the rocket weight, I would use it.

Tearing the shroud loose because early or late ejection is a function of speed and the weight of the rocket, not whether it is a MPR or HPR. I haven't seen and difference in construction between the Estes chutes and those made for HPR. I think any difference in quality is more a function of who manufactures it then it is about what size rocket it is sold with.

If you really want top quality, it's hard to beat homemade.

the Estes chutes are not bad, but they're not rip-stop nylon.
Rex

Well, my wife is taking a sewing class. Maybe I can let her practice on some rip-stop :wink:

Absolutely! and get her to practice with patterns and sewing seams etc. 8 Gore elliptical chutes are great and can be made pretty easily.

One tip, use a hot knife (soldering iron with flattened tip) to cut the ripstop nylon with. It melts through and prevents unraveling.

Of course, don't give up if she doesn't want to sew them, you can learn to sew them just a well as she can.

I've had about a 50% fall out rate with Estes PS2 chutes, where the shroud lines would pull out of the stitching. It didn't take a lot either, I could tug them out by hand or they'd stay firm. It seemed that some % of them didn't get the stitching through the lines, only around them. A few minutes of restitching and they're fine, however. Given the choice, though, I typically use Top Flight thin mill...

+1 re-stitching the PSII chutes shroud lines, and making your own if you so choose, if not then TFR makes some great chutes at reasonable rates.

Back