Wild Ideas for Stopping Climate Change

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys! I made an amazing scientific breakthrough!
Did you know that there are 'plug and play' solar devices that convert CO2 into sugar?
(plug into ground)

Amazing, huh? Yea, they're called "plants".
Not that efficient (if I remember correctly) but pretty much free after the initial cost and solves our problem better than the other way... Some places plant them around solar panels and use them to feed livestock.
Also, with the right brands, you can ferment it into Boo- I mean, Ethanol.

I don't know if this is correct, but I think so read that currently, the process used to create ethanol is only 50% efficient or so.

Plants, you say... and where can I find some of these miraculous "plants"?

You have been led to believe there is a correlation between global temperature and CO2 levels in the atmosphere; there isn't. My only real point is that CO2 can be repurposed for something of value.

View attachment 309227

It doesn't take long for participants in a thread on this topic to start talking past each other. Suffice it to say that your chart doesn't change my mind, and anything I post in reply will not change yours, so we've already reached the point of useless conversation with regards to convincing each other.

Have a great day!

The solution stairs us in the face every single day of the year. Think about your cars motor . The oil in your motor naturaly cools your motor . The oil protects the motor and keeps the motor from breaking down and overheating. What happens when you take all the oil from the earth? Is it not too much to assume that the "motor" of the earth is overheating and will raise the temperature of the planet? Maybe if we stop stealing all the oil from the earth , the overheating and will change , and global warming will not be an issue.

Eric

The solution stairs us in the face every single day of the year. Think about your cars motor . The oil in your motor naturaly cools your motor . The oil protects the motor and keeps the motor from breaking down and overheating. What happens when you take all the oil from the earth? Is it not too much to assume that the "motor" of the earth is overheating and will raise the temperature of the planet? Maybe if we stop stealing all the oil from the earth , the overheating and will change , and global warming will not be an issue.

Eric

A car uses antifreeze to allow coolants to keep the motor of your car cool in cold weather. Does this mean you should drink antifreeze in cold weather?

My point is that the logic is failed.

Last edited:
Actually soft drinks in cold climate areas are supplemented with a little antifreeze to keep them from freezing in outside vending machines.

Dixon,

Where did you find the graph, I would like to use it for a work related project but I have to source it,

Hmm. It was meant to be pasted as a direct link to the article. I'll have to go back and find it.

Eric

Oil's role as a coolant in a car is secondary at best. It's a lubricant which reduces friction which would cause heat and wear.
Oil is not a lubricant or a coolant within the earth. In fact most crude oil would be a very poor lubricant, and the only way anything within the earth or the earth's atmosphere could work as a coolant is if the heat it absorbs could be transferred somewhere else, such as outer space.
There are a lot of heat sources that contribute to the earth's overall temperature, just as there are paths for global cooling. I don't pretend to be an expert on the balance between the two.
It's factual that carbon dioxide and other gases within the atmosphere retain heat and it's a good thing they do or the earth would be cold and lifeless.
Climate change is a very complex process that is not well understood and any simple remedies could easily have unintended consequence. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be responsible. Economics alone are a good reason to live more efficiently.

Steve Shannon

It doesn't take long for participants in a thread on this topic to start talking past each other. Suffice it to say that your chart doesn't change my mind, and anything I post in reply will not change yours, so we've already reached the point of useless conversation with regards to convincing each other.

Have a great day!

Actually I'm agnostic on the subject. I kind of get the global warming argument, but then harken back to junior high science where they explained how warm it was when dinosaurs roamed the earth (thus the graph). But I don't really know(?). Suffice it to say if the dinosaur theory is right we have much more warming up to do!

Oil's role as a coolant in a car is secondary at best. It's a lubricant which reduces friction which would cause heat and wear.
Oil is not a lubricant or a coolant within the earth. In fact most crude oil would be a very poor lubricant, and the only way anything within the earth or the earth's atmosphere could work as a coolant is if the heat it absorbs could be transferred somewhere else, such as outer space.
There are a lot of heat sources that contribute to the earth's overall temperature, just as there are paths for global cooling. I don't pretend to be an expert on the balance between the two.
It's factual that carbon dioxide and other gases within the atmosphere retain heat and it's a good thing they do or the earth would be cold and lifeless.
Climate change is a very complex process that is not well understood and any simple remedies could easily have unintended consequence. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be responsible. Economics alone are a good reason to live more efficiently.

Steve Shannon

I agree with everything you said. One thing I would point out is that while Climate Change is very complex process that is not well understood, Anthropogenic Global Warming is not very complex.

As you said, carbon dioxide and other gases within the atmosphere retain heat. We know that is true, and we also know that human activity is increasing the concentration of those gasses. From those two facts, we predict that the earth's atmosphere will retain more heat, and we actually do measure that that is the case. The earth, its atmosphere, and the oceans are retaining more heat than they used to, and the system overall contains more heat energy than it used to in the past. Those are facts. That's what Global Warming is, the retention of excess heat by the earth's systems due to the warmer blanket of greenhouse gases. That can be measured, and it is happening as predicted.

The thing that is more complex and less well understood is Climate Change --- the changes to climate, weather patterns sea level, etc. that we expect to happen due to the Global Warming that we know is happening. Those changes are much harder to predict, and some of the results will no doubt be very surprising.

I watched an interesting science special the other night.
Global warming is melting snow and uncovering things that hasn't been seen for 10's of thousands of years.
Included are carcasses that contain viruses and biological germs that we've never seen before.
There is recent cases of diseases killing people carried by birds and animals eating off these exposed carcasses.
It seams nature might be on the way of solving the over population of this planet by itself.
If humans are the cause of global warming, we have triggered a fail safe Mother Nature built into herself.

Ah, who or what created the global warmer that caused the ice that formed during the Ice Age to melt?

It's too late anyways. The increased temperatures have been evaporating water and water vapor is a very potent greenhouse gas... which traps more heat and evaporates more water... It's a positive feedback loop. Even if humans stop producing greenhouse gasses, this feedback loop will propagate the global warming.

Please tell me what caused the climate change that melted the ice that was formed during the Ice Age?

Please tell me what caused the climate change that melted the ice that was formed during the Ice Age?

Good question. And also what caused the little Ice Age around 1000 AD to cool down and then warm up again, long before the man-made industrial age started with its green house gases.

And none of them were human related. N-O-N-E.

You are incapable of releasing flatulence and cellular respiration? (both of which are normal processes that contribute greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere)

Well, breaking news: the rest of us are.

The Earth was once completely covered in Ice. Most likely a meteor impact or mass volcanic activity, or both, was the cause.
The Scientists are pretty sure a large impact at the Antarctic land mass caused massive crust displacement which turned most of Russia into open flowing lava land.
Shock waves collated around the Earth and came together there. Similar to a drip of water in a bucket, when it ripples outward and then back inward and comes together.
When comparing Ice core samples and dating them, there is a distinct link between a colder climate and volcanic activity by measuring the amount of sulfur in the ice.
There is complete documented proof of global cooling in relationship to sulfur and other things in the ice core samples, which is directly connected to volcanic activity of the past by known dates of eruptions.
Including the known super volcano's around the world, and our own Yellowstone.
Which, by the way, is over due according to scientists studying it's history. The average is 600,000 years. They think we are now 640,000 years since it's last major eruption.
In the not too distant past, land has been moving upward in Yellowstone. Tree's and animal deaths are accounted for by mass release of toxic gasses.
By going to google earth, you can see the rough outlines of eruptions of past, and account for tectonic plate movement between eruptions over the Hot Spot.
In the past, tectonic plate movement has been much faster than it is today. When Africa slammed into the European continent, its was estimated to be moving over 2 feet per year.
Today, it is measured accurately by GPS systems and is around 1 cm, or 1/2 inch per year in most cases.
The scientists account for this, in theory, by the cooling of the Earth's core. I personally doubt this tho.
By also going to Google Earth, you can trace the tectonic plate movement over the Hot Spot that has formed the Hawaiian Islands by the mounds on the bottom of the ocean.
There is a new island now forming off the shore of the main island today.
There has been substantial volcanic activity around the world in the past 4 decades.
It's a know fact that the world has gone through several cooling, and thawing periods.
As the Earth is now in a phase of orbit that takes us on a path further from the sun, we are getting warmer. We should be cooling down according to the experts.

About 92% of all green house gasses come from volcanism. Just plug all the volcanos problem solved.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL,,,,,,,I thought snowflake season was finally over

Relevance to this discussion: N-O-N-E. Many things happen in nature without humanity's help, and yet at the same time man's actions can affect them. This is not a hard concept.

Just curious: are you actually interested in rockets, or did you just join this forum to troll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back