cant pin openrocket to taskbar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRFfan

Reaction score
Right clicking on openrocket in start menu doesn't give the "pin to taskbar" option and nether does right clicking on it when running.... I also can't drag it to taskbar. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, it behaves the same way on OSX. It can't be added to the Dock, but you can create an alias (shortcut) and add it to the side of the Dock. I know splitting hairs.

Download the image, then follow the link.

View attachment 309040

https://converticon.com/
Thanks! I didn't convert it to an ICO file; I just opened it in Paint, saved as a BMP, then pointed the shortcut to it as a filetype "All Files". I don't know why I couldn't use a PNG file.

For the rest of you, assign an icon before pinning to the taskbar.

Last edited:
Actually you can pin it on OSX/Mac....but to the RIGHT of whatever that line is,on task bar.

Document....Download side of line, it will slide right in-between

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 6.46.49 PM.jpg

No problem.

Now... Tell me more about how to do that little bit of "Java - Jar" voodoo you did so well.

I assume you have a link to the jar file on your desktop. Right click on it and open up the Properties dialog.
Then click on Target and insert "java -jar" without the quotes, ahead of the opening quote of the existing target. Click OK. Windows will replace the target with the fully defined path which is C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -jar "C:\Program Files\OpenRocket15.03\OpenRocket-15.03.jar" on my computer.

Now click on it. It should open. If it does, right click on it again and point to the icon image you want. When that's done just drag it to your task bar.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
I assume you have a link to the jar file on your desktop. Right click on it and open up the Properties dialog.
Then click on Target and insert "java -jar" without the quotes, ahead of the opening quote of the existing target. Click OK. Windows will replace the target with the fully defined path which is C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -jar "C:\Program Files\OpenRocket15.03\OpenRocket-15.03.jar" on my computer.

Now click on it. It should open. If it does, right click on it again and point to the icon image you want. When that's done just drag it to your task bar.

Steve Shannon

When I put in the "java -jar" code (no quotes), and Ok'd it... I was able to get OR to open, but it also opens a black window that looks like an old DOS prompt window. Closing that shut down OR.

That's because OpenRocket is not a Windows program and Java runs as a command prompt program. OpenRocket has to run as a Java task. There may be a parameter similar to the -jar parameter for Java that will cause the command window to not appear. I'll look for that, but in the meantime if it bothers you, minimize it, but don't close it.

That's because OpenRocket is not a Windows program and Java runs as a command prompt program. OpenRocket has to run as a Java task. There may be a parameter similar to the -jar parameter for Java that will cause the command window to not appear. I'll look for that, but in the meantime if it bothers you, minimize it, but don't close it.

I undid the changes, and will live with it "as is" until you can come up with a solution.

I was happy enough w/ adding the shortcut to the start menu.
Rex

but you can create an alias (shortcut) and add it to the side of the Dock. I know splitting hairs.

Actually you can pin it on OSX/Mac....but to the RIGHT of whatever that line is,on task bar.

Document....Download side of line, it will slide right in-between

View attachment 309042

That is what I was trying to say but said it badly, it's on the dock but it does not have the same flexibility being located off to the side with the trash and your downloads, not sure what they call that part of the dock or why it behaves differently.

That is what I was trying to say but said it badly, it's on the dock but it does not have the same flexibility being located off to the side with the trash and your downloads, not sure what they call that part of the dock or why it behaves differently.

That part of the dock is for files and folders, while the left part is for applications. For a JAR file the distinction is... murky. But OSX does not consider a JAR file to an app, so there you are. Really, the odd behavior of OR in the Windows taskbar is indicative of a similar issue there.

It would probably be possible to implement an app wrapper for OR in OSX, I'll noodle around if I get a chance.

It would probably be possible to implement an app wrapper for OR in OSX, I'll noodle around if I get a chance.

OK, it is quite easy to use Automator to create a script that will run OR, and that script can be an APP that will show up in the left side of the dock. However, when you click on it, OR will then open separately, so you'll have two items in the dock. That may or may not get you what you're looking for.

It can be fully appified using Xcode; frankly someone oughta do it and host it somewhere. Dunno if the license for OR allows this sort of thing or not. I haven't tried this before with Xcode, but it's not super hard and I'll do so if I get a chance.

Instructions for doing this with Automator:
1) Open Automator, new document
2) Choose "Application" as document type
3) From the big long list, double-click "Run Shell Script"
4) In the window on the right, replace the text with "java -jar ".
5) Then drag your OR JAR file into that window. When done, it should look something like this (not exactly the same since your JAR file might be elsewhere):
attachment.php

6) Save the file to your Applications folder, call it "Run OR.app" or whatever you like.
7) Profit!

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 9.55.25 PM.png

OK, it is quite easy to use Automator to create a script that will run OR, and that script can be an APP that will show up in the left side of the dock. However, when you click on it, OR will then open separately, so you'll have two items in the dock. That may or may not get you what you're looking for.

It can be fully appified using Xcode; frankly someone oughta do it and host it somewhere. Dunno if the license for OR allows this sort of thing or not. I haven't tried this before with Xcode, but it's not super hard and I'll do so if I get a chance.

Instructions for doing this with Automator:
1) Open Automator, new document
2) Choose "Application" as document type
3) From the big long list, double-click "Run Shell Script"
4) In the window on the right, replace the text with "java -jar ".
5) Then drag your OR JAR file into that window. When done, it should look something like this (not exactly the same since your JAR file might be elsewhere):
attachment.php

6) Save the file to your Applications folder, call it "Run OR.app" or whatever you like.
7) Profit!

I have never played with Automator. I just tried what you detailed above and even changed the icon but I get "The action "Run Shell Script" encountered an error.", when I click the new Automoator.app on the dock and in the applications folder?

@ mpitfield - I just had the same issue with the same error message. I fixed it by adding a space between "-jar" and "/Applications..."

Thanks, Neil!

Is that the location you have your OpenRocket.jar file? Did you drag the file from the finder into that window (step 5), or did you copy the text that I had in my screenshot? I have to ask because that's the most likely error, and it would be coincidence if you have your OpenRocket file in the same place as me.

This morning I installed Xcode on to my Mac, and tonight I'll try to create a full appified version of OR for the Mac folks, which should be much nicer.

Back