cant pin openrocket to taskbar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a proper icon file for the Windows shortcut, created from the OR icon files themselves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5tvshqb8u967uk/OR.ico?dl=0. If you pin it in the taskbar, though, it'll look just like the running instance of OR, which can get a little confusing.

What I found is that in the shortcut, saying "...cmd.exe /c START javaw..." caused the cmd window to close immediately after launch. By also selecting RUN: Minimized (that's in the shortcut Properties dialog) the window never shows at all.

Here's a proper icon file for the Windows shortcut, created from the OR icon files themselves: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5tvshqb8u967uk/OR.ico?dl=0. If you pin it in the taskbar, though, it'll look just like the running instance of OR, which can get a little confusing.

What I found is that in the shortcut, saying "...cmd.exe /c START javaw..." caused the cmd window to close immediately after launch. By also selecting RUN: Minimized (that's in the shortcut Properties dialog) the window never shows at all.

Cool, thanks!

Steve Shannon

Thanks for finding that!

When it's not running in Windows 10, it doesn't have the colored bar under it. Then again, I had saved all of my opened files, and shut down before relaunching it, and pinning it (then shutting it down again as a test).

OK Mac users, here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqxrvp7nkfz3dbi/OpenRocket-15.03.dmg?dl=0

This is a fully app-ified version of the latest OR, which is a first-class citizen in the dock. Provided as-is, no guarantees, etc. As far as I understand, it has the JRE embedded right in the package (which is why it's large, over 90 MB for the DMG file), which theoretically means you do not need to otherwise have Java installed on your Mac. If anyone tests it with a non-Java equipped machine let me know, I'm curious but not enough to uninstall Java on mine, since I need it to build this package.

Either way, let me know how it goes.

Whoops, pasted an alias by mistake. Try again please.

Note to all: please do not redistribute this. Also, it is not signed yet (I'll work on that next).

I've also created a Windows installer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfpo0pzztgsscqf/OpenRocket-15.03-installer.exe?dl=0

Same deal: installs the OpenRocket as a self-contained executable, which can be pinned to the taskbar as desired. It's not as clean as the Mac version, though, since Windows lacks the "package" concept which allows Mac programs to be treated as a single item in the file system despite being a huge directory full of crap. The Windows executable is installed into your user/AppData/Local/OpenRocket folder. So you can go in there, right click the "OpenRocket.exe" file, and create a shortcut, pin it to the taskbar pin it in the start menu, whatever. As with the Mac version, the JRE is embedded, so you do not need Java installed on your PC.

If anyone tries this please report back.

Thanks! Yeah, I do. On this Mac, it's currently Java 8 Update 101 (OS X 10.11, not 10.12).

In that case, try opening a terminal window and running that command there. You should (hopefully) get a more detailed error message.

Below are the details from the terminal window. I am not very savvy on a Mac but it looks like it does not like my version of Java?

java -jar /Applications/OpenRocket/OpenRocket.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/sf/openrocket/startup/OpenRocket : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Very cool. It works great on Sierra 10.12.1. Thanks.

Neil, any chance that you could do this for Burnsim too? (Now I'm getting greedy.)

Neil, any chance that you could do this for Burnsim too? (Now I'm getting greedy.)

Since Burnsim is (a) commercial, and (b) non-Mac native, I'm not sure what I can do here. Appifying Burnsim is a very different and more difficult proposition then just packaging up a jar file. Sorry! ;)

Below are the details from the terminal window. I am not very savvy on a Mac but it looks like it does not like my version of Java?

Something like that, although I'm not really sure what's going on because I'm not particularly java-savvy. My suggestion is to try the dmg file I put on Dropbox and use that, it's a better solution anyway (use the second link I posted!)

Since Burnsim is (a) commercial, and (b) non-Mac native, I'm not sure what I can do here. Appifying Burnsim is a very different and more difficult proposition then just packaging up a jar file. Sorry! ;)

Sorry, I forgot that my frustration with Burnsim isn't that it's a java app, its that I have to run it on my Mac via Winebottler. I hate Windows, but I need to break down and get a dual-boot system someday.

Last edited:
THANK YOU! For some reason, that install made Openrocket work perfectly on a 4K screen! You are a god! :)

Matt

Back