geometric rocket challenge - quarterly challenge - first quarter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
Hello TRF!

This is the official thread for the TRF Build of the Quarter! These will continue as long as we have interest.

Da rules of the contest:
1. The "quarter" runs from now until midnight on March 31.
2. All corners of the rocket must be angled.
-This includes body tube, nose cone, and fins.
-Excluded are any inner workings of the rocket.
-In other words, the body tube and nose cone must be a square, triangle, or some other sort of polygon. (Attempting to call a circle a polygon with an infinite number of sides will not slide well with me. Nice try.)
-Rockets are permitted to have rounded fillets and fin edges. The challenge is intended to get competitors to think outside of the normal tube shaped rocket.
3. All rocket sizes are permitted, as well as all motor sizes.
4. To enter the challenge, simply post in this thread, and start building! Build threads are encouraged, but not required.
5. Launch the rocket! A launch must include a safe recovery.
6. Starting March 24, please submit a video of their rocket in this thread. This should include at minimum a picture of the rocket and a video of a successful launch. Of course, if you have a failed launch, don't be afraid to submit your video! It'll make the rest of us feel better, and we won't laugh at you (too much).
7. Competitors may submit their videos up until March 31, 23:59:59EST, at which point no further submissions will be accepted. All submissions will be placed into a poll which will be open to all forum members. This poll will run for 1 week. The scoring will be described in the poll when it is put up (the jist of it being that everyone gets 3 votes . The rocket with the highest score will be declared the winner.
8. The above rules are intended to be followed by the spirit, and not the letter. That being said, any issues with the rules will be decided between the judges.

Furthermore, if you're interested in donating a prize for the winner, please feel free to message either blackbrandt or I.

If you have any questions in general, please leave them in this thread or message one of us.

Can't wait to see all of your exciting designs!

Last edited:
blackbrandt will be helping me with organization and writing out the contest rules. a revised and more clear set up instructions will be set soon. until then these instructions will give you and idea what it will look like. If anyone else wants to help please send me a PM

Excellent. :clap: Good start.

Hmmm what to do, what to do...

I'm in.

One question, though.

Can my rocket be based on yottagonal prisms? (A septillion sides... well, a septillion and two if it were an actual prism, two septillion and two since it has a yottagonal prism hole...)
I know my motor tube can and will be, but I don't know about the rest of the rocket.

Last edited:
The contest description has been revised and written much better and more clear by blackbrandt, so thank you very much. Its all the same but might clear up any foggy areas. hope every comes up with some cool builds and this forum gets some tractions. feel free to post your sketches ideas ect, and invite others to join in.

I'm in.

One question, though.

Can my rocket be based on yottagonal prisms? (A septillion sides... well, a septillion and two if it were an actual prism, two septillion and two since it has a yottagonal prism hole...)
I know my motor tube can and will be, but I don't know about the rest of the rocket.

Only if you can prove it iteratively within an order of magnitude :p

Just curious. what kind of materials are you guys thinking of using? glue together balsa, folded paper?

I'll give it a shot
I have an idea, just maybe not the time. It will be kind of basic if I get it done but the idea came to me immediately when I read the rules...it will not be a round tube.

Hey.... a CONTEST!!!!!
I like crazy idea contests.
This one is cool for sure.
I have had many ideas for a rocket of this sort.....IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big thanks to "mbecks" for taking on the challenge of running a contest.
And, what would we (TRF) do without "blackbrandt"!
He was a HUGE help and played a HUGE part in making the ODSBO such a big hit.
Always stepping up to help...Thanks again BB.

Good luck suckers........ha ha ha
No cutting corners now, .... :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys and I'm glad we got so many people joining in. My idea is coming from one of my favourite polygon things, star fox from a he N64. Not sure if I can pull that off.
"no cutting corners". Lol

Only if you can prove it iteratively within an order of magnitude :p

Sounds like a clever-pants circle to me.

This reminds me of a story from my old Analysis II professor:
-A senior design team wanted to impress the reviewing panel in one of their presentations and proudly stated that they had used an iterative series expansion and calculated the length of a critical member (~.5 meters) to 13 decimal places for precision, then double checked their work for accuracy. This was greeted with squints and a couple raised eyebrows until the Analysis prof said (here I'll type in my best Romanian accent) "So you're telling me that you have determined the necessary length to sub-nanometer resolution? I certainly hope your tolerance does not share the same scale because I cannot for the life of me imagine how you are going to fabricate to that precision......"

Back on topic.
This sounds like a legit use for my Secret Santa gift box (vv) but I'll have to sit this round of competition out. Looking forward to an assortment of flying oblongs!
IMG_20161203_205742612.jpg

I have my design done. This is going to be fun! (I'm sticking with an 18mm C motor for mine.)

Last edited:
I am curious, can I enter a rocket that I already started but have not finished? And for the sake of clarity, what if it was already built?

Also my motor hooks are made of round wire... :D I also want to debate the "angledness" of ALL your corners... How sharp are they? Because even a knife blade looks rounded under a microscope... :D

Started my X Wing build last year so don't know if it's allowed. If not hope it is of some inspiration to you all...

I did a trial flight last Sunday to confirm it has reasonable aero properties.

Here's a shot on the pad, due to being a trial it's not painted and is lacking engines on the wing.
2130DC8F-9FA7-4854-B25D-E8539B161EB9.jpg
Video of launch, enjoy

[youtube]MjTbV5zWNeE[/youtube]

Build thread is here https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5704

Back