geometric rocket challenge - quarterly challenge - first quarter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is in fact a small world. Just this morning I started design work on a new Estes SciFi kit that will hopefully have all angular sides to it. It will be completely different from my Asteroid Hunter. I might not even have a plastic blow molded nose cone as well, so it will be a true builder kit, if I ever finish the design.

John Boren

Glad everyone is doing well! Depending on the number of entries, that will change what type of poll I use. :)

This is in fact a small world. Just this morning I started design work on a new Estes SciFi kit that will hopefully have all angular sides to it. It will be completely different from my Asteroid Hunter. I might not even have a plastic blow molded nose cone as well, so it will be a true builder kit, if I ever finish the design.

John Boren

Enter it in the contest! ;)

(The AH would be disqualified for the section of round BT between the nose and body, I think)

looks pretty sweet. How big are planning on making it?

That image is of the Estes Asteroid Hunter which has been out for around six years now and is now discontinued.

John Boren

Don't count on me being there at the finish line on this one. With my deadline already shifted left and Pinewood Derby fast approaching, this one will not be getting the attention that a couple of projects that I am doing with my boy. It will remain on the bench but on a low priority.

I won't have the time to dedicate to my idea either - too many projects going on at once. At some point I'll pursue it, but not now, in this contest. :(

I wish I was as talented at this as you guys. Most of my rockets are much rougher.

I have my rocket done except for the recovery harness. Can't wait to fly it!

So I've got some paint on it for this weeks trial flight.
3CA67496-38A2-482C-A02F-FA43C578E545.jpg

Its put on too much weight for my liking, most of which is towards the rear. Will aim for a stability margin of 1.05 this time with a D24. Rod speed is going to be slower, making me just a bit nervous. If it works out I'll be adding decals and going for a central C6 with 4x B6 cluster.

I haven't forgot about this contest. I will be messaging blackbrandt to get help on setting up the thread to post your entries and then to cast your votes. stay tuned. hopefully we get a bit of participation and its worth doing another.

I finished one about a month ago, but I haven't flown it yet. It's a 3d printed rocket made with PETG. It's an 18mm min-diameter design that stands 15" tall and weighs about 2.5oz (motor not included). I planned on flying it on a C6-5, but smaller motors should work too. The motor's friction fit with a little bit of tape. Recovery is a streamer & rubber band style shock cord.

I made it in three main parts: the fins & lower body, upper body, and nosecone. It has 7 fins and they're all portions of heptagons. The outer cross section of the body is a heptagon. I first made a 7-sided Von Karman nosecone, but after reviewing the rules, I remade it as a 7-sided conical so that it'd stay flat sided. The lower body was printed with the fins attached. The lower & upper body were glued together with a 3d printed coupler and epoxy. To get a good separation of the nosecone, I sanded the inside of the body tube and the outside of another 3d printed coupler. There's a 3d printed motor thrust ring that's epoxied in place inside the lower body. The launch rod guide is 3d printed on the lower body.

Here are time lapse videos of each of the main parts being printed:

[video=youtube;NMwAsrDacuA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwAsrDacuA[/video]

[video=youtube;qrrOH9wTs6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrrOH9wTs6o[/video]

[video=youtube;NNdMfdMkC88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdMfdMkC88[/video]

Here's the lower body & fins right off the printer:

IMG_7669-2.jpg

Here's the finished rocket:

IMG_8297-crop.jpg

I planned on flying it at our club's last high power launch, but I kept busy with my bigger rockets instead. :) I'll try to fly it in about 3 weeks at the next high power launch day.

EDIT: Here's the ork file: View attachment Heptagon Rocket.ork

Design and parts yes, a bit. Build & fly, sadly no. I think I'll stick to the summer build off, just not enough rocket time until my shop situation improves.

My X Wing was flown again for the 3rd time at the QRS 10th Anniversary Open Day Launch .

This time it flew with a cluster of 5 SCR motors, a central C6-5 with 4 outboard B6-4.
That's the equivalent of a 28E14 with a peak thrust of 56N resulting in about 18Gs of acceleration.
unfortunately my decals were not ready due to the arrival of a baby girl for my decal guy.
All 5 motors light at launch and again it flew extremely straight even with a bit of wind.

Enjoy the video, watch for the 4 outboard ejection charges going off just before apogee.
[youtube]neJyw8qvMGs[/youtube]

This is a mockup of some of the decals to see what it will look like.
A3FF6327-DD36-4200-B733-8D816E27AEA7.jpg

Here is my entry: The Cheez-It Rocket!

The first flight was a success!
Using 2x B4-4 1x D12-0.
Old build thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?128038-The-Cheese-It-Thread

Pictures or it didn't happen!
IMG_20170330_143043.jpg
IMG_20170330_143142.jpg
IMG_20170330_143207.jpg
IMG_20170330_163822.jpg

You Tube video:
[video]https://youtu.be/25_WuEn1kEY[/video]

Sorry I could not capture the whole flight, it flew straight then did a loop that ended in the parachute being ejected by the engines. It would totally make it past the RSO at a club launch (I am not a member of one yet), right???

I have a Toblerone rocket in the works... ;D

Wow neil_w that's cool! Thanks it has been awhile in the making. I need to post to the build thread still, I fixed a bunch of things to make it fly.

Back