Apogee Saturn V Wraps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got an Apogee Saturn V. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better method of attaching the polystyrene wraps, I'm a little leery of using just CA. I was thinking of using the same method I used on my Estes Sat V. For that I used spray glue to attach the wraps, then sealed the edges with thin CA. What I really want to avoid is the cracking problems that some have reported.

I'm a big fan of the 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive. It is essential a spray contact cement, and is available at your local Home Depot store. A thin layer is applied to each surface, the carrier solvent is allowed to flash off, and the wrap is then applied. Unlike traditional contact cement, you'll be afforded a few seconds to separate the parts to correct any positioning errors.

I used the stuff successfully to apply thin styrene fascia parts to the airframe tube on a couple of recent projects:

Estes Little Joe II: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...s-Little-Joe-II-Tips-Tricks-and-Modifications

1/12 scale Little Joe 1A: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Joe-I-(was-Anyone-care-to-ID-this-component-)

Practicing with scrap material before using the adhesive on the expensive Apogee Saturn V parts is highly recommended!

Good luck,
James

I recently got an Apogee Saturn V. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better method of attaching the polystyrene wraps, I'm a little leery of using just CA. I was thinking of using the same method I used on my Estes Sat V. For that I used spray glue to attach the wraps, then sealed the edges with thin CA. What I really want to avoid is the cracking problems that some have reported.
I know I'm coming into this thread late, but I just joined TRF. In case you haven't seen it, here's a few random thoughts from my construction of that rocket. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?77271-Random-Thoughts-on-the-Apogee-Saturn-V Best regards, Terry

I've noticed on some of the kits from Apogee and even on Tim's videos he has been using a combination of both thin and thick CA with accelerator spray. I would think it would work, but not sure how long it would last?

I built both Apogee Saturn kits using 3M laminating tape. I built both kits around 2005 and have not had any issues with the wraps. I am not sure if the tape is available anymore but it was mentioned in the instructions. The numbers inside the roll are 463 729 3350. Product code may be 463 as it is on a separate line. I have also used it to apply the wraps to Estes Saturn V.

I had actually forgotten that I posted this. Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. I should be starting on this as soon as my current projects are done and my shop is cleaned.

I know I'm coming into this thread late, but I just joined TRF. In case you haven't seen it, here's a few random thoughts from my construction of that rocket. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?77271-Random-Thoughts-on-the-Apogee-Saturn-V Best regards, Terry

Welcome to TRF!! Excellent information, thank you.

I've noticed on some of the kits from Apogee and even on Tim's videos he has been using a combination of both thin and thick CA with accelerator spray. I would think it would work, but not sure how long it would last?

This was one of my concerns as well.

I built both Apogee Saturn kits using 3M laminating tape. I built both kits around 2005 and have not had any issues with the wraps. I am not sure if the tape is available anymore but it was mentioned in the instructions. The numbers inside the roll are 463 729 3350. Product code may be 463 as it is on a separate line. I have also used it to apply the wraps to Estes Saturn V.

This seems like a viable option. How did the extra bulk effect the the butt joint of the wrap? Did you just trim it a little longer?

The two sided tape is pretty thin. I think I just stretched them a little.

Back