Apogee Saturn V Wraps

I recently got an Apogee Saturn V. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better method of attaching the polystyrene wraps, I'm a little leery of using just CA. I was thinking of using the same method I used on my Estes Sat V. For that I used spray glue to attach the wraps, then sealed the edges with thin CA. What I really want to avoid is the cracking problems that some have reported.

Mike L.
    NAR #97175
    CMASS & MMMSC
    L1, LOC Cyclotron
    L2, Madcow Areobee Hi

I'm a big fan of the 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive. It is essential a spray contact cement, and is available at your local Home Depot store. A thin layer is applied to each surface, the carrier solvent is allowed to flash off, and the wrap is then applied. Unlike traditional contact cement, you'll be afforded a few seconds to separate the parts to correct any positioning errors.

I used the stuff successfully to apply thin styrene fascia parts to the airframe tube on a couple of recent projects:

Estes Little Joe II: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...-Modifications

1/12 scale Little Joe 1A: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...is-component-)

Practicing with scrap material before using the adhesive on the expensive Apogee Saturn V parts is highly recommended!

Good luck,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by MALBAR 70 View Post
    I recently got an Apogee Saturn V. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better method of attaching the polystyrene wraps, I'm a little leery of using just CA. I was thinking of using the same method I used on my Estes Sat V. For that I used spray glue to attach the wraps, then sealed the edges with thin CA. What I really want to avoid is the cracking problems that some have reported.
    I know I'm coming into this thread late, but I just joined TRF. In case you haven't seen it, here's a few random thoughts from my construction of that rocket. http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...pogee-Saturn-V Best regards, Terry

I've noticed on some of the kits from Apogee and even on Tim's videos he has been using a combination of both thin and thick CA with accelerator spray. I would think it would work, but not sure how long it would last?
    NAR # 89516
    HPR Cert Level 1

I built both Apogee Saturn kits using 3M laminating tape. I built both kits around 2005 and have not had any issues with the wraps. I am not sure if the tape is available anymore but it was mentioned in the instructions. The numbers inside the roll are 463 729 3350. Product code may be 463 as it is on a separate line. I have also used it to apply the wraps to Estes Saturn V.

I had actually forgotten that I posted this. Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. I should be starting on this as soon as my current projects are done and my shop is cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by prfesser View Post
    I know I'm coming into this thread late, but I just joined TRF. In case you haven't seen it, here's a few random thoughts from my construction of that rocket. http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...pogee-Saturn-V Best regards, Terry
    Welcome to TRF!! Excellent information, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterBurners View Post
    I've noticed on some of the kits from Apogee and even on Tim's videos he has been using a combination of both thin and thick CA with accelerator spray. I would think it would work, but not sure how long it would last?
    This was one of my concerns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    I built both Apogee Saturn kits using 3M laminating tape. I built both kits around 2005 and have not had any issues with the wraps. I am not sure if the tape is available anymore but it was mentioned in the instructions. The numbers inside the roll are 463 729 3350. Product code may be 463 as it is on a separate line. I have also used it to apply the wraps to Estes Saturn V.
    This seems like a viable option. How did the extra bulk effect the the butt joint of the wrap? Did you just trim it a little longer?
    Mike L.
    NAR #97175
    CMASS & MMMSC
    L1, LOC Cyclotron
    L2, Madcow Areobee Hi

The two sided tape is pretty thin. I think I just stretched them a little.