Dynasoar Pegasus RC B/G from Arkansas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Good News is that this is actually an AFTER flight pic of the Pegasus:

m_IMG_2666.jpg

Electrics still working, but I will inspect everything.

Ugh, I'm going to have to put a disclaimer that NO estes bp motor should ever be flown in one of my rocket gliders....sorry to see this.

Hello from a fellow Arkansan!
That looks pretty shweet.
Where will you fly this beauty?

Greetings from northeast Arkansas (Paragould, about 30 minutes north of Jonesboro; near the Missouri bootheel).

I mainly fly scale RC airplanes at the Kennett RC Club in Kennett, MO. I also fly models at an abandoned WW2 training airfield in Walcott, AR (due west of Paragould, halfway between Walnut Ridge and Paragould).

I attend RC airplane events in the region, including central Arkansas. Are you familiar with S.M.A.L.L.? (RC airplane event in central Arkansas, that sometimes has rocket gliders.)

The is also a rocket group in Memphis (Mid-South Rocket Society): https://www.midsouthrockets.com/

Ugh, I'm going to have to put a disclaimer that NO estes bp motor should ever be flown in one of my rocket gliders....sorry to see this.

I can't argue against that. But I am wondering if the recent events are of my OWN making. The malfunction of the E9-P and the D11-P have been my only bad experience with these Estes motors. And both motors had been in a "ready bag" that I take to the field.

I have been using these motors over the past 3 years (or more). I keep them in a plastic ziplock bag that is in ANOTHER ziplock bag, at a dry, less humid location in my house.

When I go to the field, I put the motors that I am likely to use in a "ready bag"............which is just another ziplock bag. But these motors had been in the SINGLE ziplock "ready bag" for at least 6 months.

I am going to test my existing stock of motors, and decide whether to use them, or drown them.

Test fired fired a D11-P with a D12-0 booster from my Ready Bag. Performed normally.

I only have three D11-P's left...........probably for the best.

I'd say use them as a booster in something you don't care about, I just don't feel it is worth risking a $150 model with a $5 motor when you can use a $7 motor that for me has a 100% success rate out of 1200 launches.

I'd say use them as a booster in something you don't care about, I just don't feel it is worth risking a $150 model with a $5 motor when you can use a $7 motor that for me has a 100% success rate out of 1200 launches.

But look at the marketing I have given you:

"Dynasoar Rocketry - Burn 'em or Blow 'em up, They Still Fly!"

:eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

Pic with a flash to show the Blenderm tape holding the hook. Like building a ship in a bottle; attached tape to a hex wrench to place over the hook.

m_IMG_2700.jpg

A few pics of my motor setup:

m_IMG_2709.jpg m_IMG_2710.jpg

Also showing my "elevons up" setting. For my Pegasus, I need almost no down trim on launch. But I raise the elevons by around 1/8 inch for glide.

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 74
Here is my receiver and battery in the nose cone.

m_IMG_2708.jpg

Using a "1C" 3.7 volt lipo battery, of 700 mAh. Full charge is 4.12 volts.

On the launch pad:

IMG_2711.jpg

And another launch pic I ALMOST got........(if you look closely, you see exhaust smoke, but no rocket glider)

IMG_2715.jpg

Very nice, in the future if this ever happens again, and the vertical stab is damaged, it will probably fly fine with just the wingtip stabs, they should provide sufficient stability.

Frank

Here is a view of my Pegasus rocket glider at Memphis, Tennessee, in mid August. Perhaps the best flight ever of this great model.

Special thanks to Brian Owens of the Mid-South Rocket Society.

Back