Dynasoar Pegasus RC B/G from Arkansas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jan. 20, 2017 - Launch scrubbed. 15+ mph winds gusting to 20+ mph. And that was at 9:15 am!

If it is January and above 60 degrees, we get real nervous down here (unusually warm weather in the South during winter typically means tornadoes). :eek:

Another question: Do you normally use a plug to help hold the igniter in the Aerotech motor?

Here is a link to a good video by Frank on how to load/reload an Aerotech motor for the Pegasus, and other rocket gliders:
[video=youtube;WgZkMduKick]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZkMduKick[/video]

I use a light wrap of masking tape around the igniter to hold it to the outside of the nozzle, if you don't sometimes it can spit it out and not light the motor.

Frank

Ho! Momma!!! Boys, to have any more fun, ya need a woman, or ya gotta go to Memphis! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Had a successful launch, AND a successful landing. But what an experience.

Let me start be saying, the Weather givith, and the Weather taketh away.............and sometimes the Weather gives a little more. Earlier today, it was too windy (15+ mph); but late this afternoon, the winds had settled down to less than 10 mph. So, I went to my launch area again, but it was almost too late:

m_IMG_0620.jpg

Can't get the pic to orient right. :kill: Oh, well, it gives you the idea: dusk, cloudy-ish.

The Pegasus went fine off the pad, using a 1/4 inch launch rod. But I think I over-corrected on the ascent, then got my aircraft orientation screwed up. And the motor kept burning!

Dynasoar has done a really good job choosing the motor, while I have been used to flying a T-25 Centurian boost glider with old Estes D motors that burn pretty fast.....and come down pretty fast. So I start flying the rocket glider, when it dawns on me that the motor is still burning!!! :eek: :blush:

So, after pointing the model "generally" up, the motor finally cuts off.

At which point I got orientation screwed up because it was so friggin' late in the evening. (There is an old RC airplane saying that, on a cloudy day, all airplanes look BLACK.)

Finally got my head on right, came in for a smooth landing.

LESSON: Next time fly in the daytime. :eyeroll:

Really well designed model. Very impressive, Frank.

Yes, definitely need to be able to see the model:) Glad it went ok, once you get any roll/pitch trimmed out on boost the rest will be easier, especially in calmer conditions.
As you can see it's very easy to land, and boost is much milder than any other "rocket" launch, but you do have to be able to see what's going on. I mentally count to 7 while keeping the model straight up then start to push over to level then click in the up trim once it has slowed, otherwise you just go straight up then it does a back flip as it runs out of steam.

Frank

Launch position (1/8 inch down) of elevons on Pegasus:

m_IMG_1334.jpg

and flight position (1/4 inch up):

m_IMG_1335.jpg

I programed a switch on my radio (not as hard as it sounds).

A tough day day my Pegasus....:facepalm:

To start, lets look at my launch pad setup:

m_IMG_1380.jpg m_IMG_1381.jpg

I am using a Estes E-size Port-a-pad, I think. And the Estes E Launch Controller.

And here are my other toys, and my Pegasus on the launch pad:

m_IMG_1379.jpg m_IMG_0670.jpg

My first flight I used an Aerotech reload motor that I got from Dynasoar rocketry. Great flight, no problem.

Well, the day was almost done, and I thought, "Hey, I still have an old E9-P left, I'll try it!" Bad idea.....not a CATO, but a pad fire.

Here is the Pegasus:

m_IMG_0682.jpg m_IMG_0683.jpg

And my launch pad:

m_IMG_0685.jpg

Had water on hand to put out the fire.

Ouch! Sorry to see that. Good looking rockets, hate to see another one offered to the E9.

I want to stress this: The problem was NOT the Aerotech/Dynasoar motors.

The problem was an old Estes E9-P that lost its nozzle at ignition:

m_IMG_0687.jpg

That was my last E9-P......fortunately. Again, will see if the model is salvageable.

Well crap, I would have body blocked you from doing that if I had been there , I'm seriously 50% failure for e9s I've watched launch for the last year, at least it looks like its far enough back that your electronics are ok, probably servos too.

Frank

I have used 10 or more E9-P's, and that is the first one I have had trouble with. Guess I have been lucky; I am kind of 'alone in a soybean field' in northeast Arkansas.

PEGASUS INSPECTION
The motor casing.....came right out! It seems to have done its job, and protected the motor mount and tube. There is a little scorching on the back edge of the body tube; that is all. The motor mount seems to be very secure.

The graphite rod (along the back of the wing) seems to have retained its strength. Even though there is melted foam, the rod is intact.

The elevons are somewhat melted on the inner side, but they can be easily replaced.

The rudder seems to be badly damaged, and I think it will be difficult to re-attach. However, the Pegasus has such large fins out on the wingtips that I wonder if it NEEDS a rudder. (I am also comparing my model to other Dynasoar designs, such as the AQM-37 Jayhawk.)

I will take some pics after I get it cleaned up.

Last edited:
That's going to be tough to scab in the foam around the spar and making good butt joints and keeping the strength but give it a shot, be careful not to add weight. If you are scabbing in the wing, just add the central tail, it may have lateral stability without but its so light to add, no point in leaving it off.

Frank

A few thoughts regarding my launch Pad:

- I chose a 1/4" launch rod, rather than a launch rail, because I have other rocket gliders set up for the launch rod.

- The Launch Rail is the better way to go (in my opinion).

- My E-size Porta-pad is really too small. I am planning to build a PVC pipe launch pad as described at Dynasoar Rocketry.

You'll need to remove the old hinge tape completely from the wing te, if you try to re hinge using tape over the old painted tape it will just pull off. Paint doesn't stick well to blenderm.

Also you aren't going to extend the center of the wing back to the rear of the body tube like it was originally?

Frank

Well, hmmm......didn't realize that (about the tape).

No, I didn't plan to add the very rear foam.

Unable to load pics from my work computer.

Ailerons attached, all together:

m_IMG_1419.jpg m_IMG_1420.jpg

Will check the Blenderm tape, due to concerns over applying New tape over painted Old tape.

Thanks for your help, Frank.

Sure, yes you can NEVER trust using blenderm tape OVER painted depron or over painted blenderm, it just pulls the paint off and doesn't really stick, you really have to apply the tape over bare material and then paint over it.

Also, you want to be sure your vertical tail is at least 2" behind the CG location, otherwise you risk actually reducing the lateral stability.

Frank

Ailerons attached, all together:

View attachment 313845 View attachment 313846

Will check the Blenderm tape, due to concerns over applying New tape over painted Old tape.

Thanks for your help, Frank.

RE-ATTACHED RUDDER
It is 5 inches behind the CG, although it does look a bit more awkward than I thought it would. :blush:

ELEVON TAPE
Hmmm. Tried to pull Blenderm tape off, but it seemed very well 'stuck'. I also have tape on the underside, which has no paint.

Keeping in mind that Frank's advice has been "spot on", I plan to keep an eye on the tape. My guess is that warmer temps may cause things to loosen up.

I have experienced exactly what Frank is talking about with my RC Star Destroyer (delta wing). I initially used Rust-oleum paint on foam, which is a Bad Idea. I then used Blenderm tape to attach/hinge the elevons, and the tape lasted about 30 seconds.

I ended up removing the tape, then light sanding and rolling over the area with a lint 'sticky' roller. I then applied new tape, and it has worked fine so far. (But I am not moving at 'rocket' speeds.)

In this case I am using Testors enamel paint (not water based).

yeah, the blenderm sticks really well to the bare foam, but once you paint over it and try to tape to the paint it's a no go, same for taping to pre-existing blenderm tape, it will stick ok but not as good as getting to bare foam. You don't need to sand, just pull the tape off and re-tape then paint over it.

March 14, 2018........here we go again. Got a good flight on my Pegasus rocket glider. Flying at my local RC field (Kennett, MO).

m_IMG_2666.jpg

Actually got a launch pic! :surprised:

m_IMG_1465.jpg

By the way, the new nickname for my Pegasus rocket glider is "Crazy Ivan". Now the story gets interesting.......:kill:

After the Pegasus flew so well with the Aerotech motor, I decided to dig into my stash of old Estes D-11P motors (plugged D-size). I fly them with a D boost engine, since the D11-P isn't a big pusher.

m_IMG_2667.jpg

So, on the launch pad, ......"Tree, Dva, Adeen!" - Launch! And this is what I hear:

"Swoooosshhhhhh" - D booster doing its job, Pegasus 'clears the tower'; then.....

"Pop!" - D booster ignites the D11-P; which was quickly followed by.....

"PONK!" - My D11-P blew out both ends.......:facepalm:

And somehow I still had a flyable model! :jaw: The nose cone popped off (landing 30 yards from me), but the receiver and battery were still attached. It was NOT a pretty glide, but I was able to turn the model into the wind and make a semi-respectable right-side-up landing.

Back