Eggtimer Quark electromechanical deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuiltFromTrash

Reaction score
Could I use a Quark to trigger a simple circuit like a hotwire deploy method? The rocket would use motor ejection for drogue deploy, the rocket splits in half with the nose and parachute compartment hanging by the coupler. Quark triggers deploy channel > resistance wire heats up > cuts nylon cord > gravity pulls coupler out deploying parachute.

Just a quick and dirty idea I had.

Could I use a Quark to trigger a simple circuit like a hotwire deploy method? The rocket would use motor ejection for drogue deploy, the rocket splits in half with the nose and parachute compartment hanging by the coupler. Quark triggers deploy channel > resistance wire heats up > cuts nylon cord > gravity pulls coupler out deploying parachute.

I believe another TRF'r might have a thread on the very same use for a Quark, I cant find the link at this time though.

You beat me to posting the link.

Tips:
The elastic band needs to be tight - not just to hold the chute, but also so that it springs away when released.

The connection of the nichrome to the wire leads has been the most failure prone point. I use a tiny screw block, and it just doesn't tighten against the nichrome reliably.

It's a pain to set up - prep lots of bands/nichrome sets head of time.

The Quark has a 2-second "on" time, so whatever you're using to cut the band/ziptie needs to heat up fairly quickly. The Eggtimer and Eggtimer Quantum have programmable on-times from 1-9 seconds, plus a continuous mode (on until landing), so you may find that they are a better choice for a hotwire deployment.

Quark triggers deploy channel > resistance wire heats up > cuts nylon cord > gravity pulls coupler out deploying parachute.

Don't expect gravity to do much of anything for you when it comes to deployment. Everything is falling at the same speed and gravity is working on everything the same. chutes and air drag can be used, but not gravity.

Have you ever seen rockets the had the nose cone pop but the chute never comes out of the tube but once it landed you could tip them down and the chute just fell out?

Thank you for the link, looks like I have some work to do. I am getting more ideas now.

What is a good battery for the Quark? Also what size soldering tip should I use? If this is in the instructions don't bother answering cause I have not read through them yet.:p

Thank you for the link, looks like I have some work to do. I am getting more ideas now.

What is a good battery for the Quark? Also what size soldering tip should I use? If this is in the instructions don't bother answering cause I have not read through them yet.:p

I use 300mah 2S Turnigy Nano-Techs from Hobby King, and for a soldering tip a 1mm conical, its not the pointiest tip in my collection but it has good heat transfer and accuracy.

Cool thanks. I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can start working on building this.

Another question... cerving might have to answer this one. I know that I can stream data for the quark to the ground using a radio, could I use the serial lines to send that data to a SD card module instead? A la Arduino but without the arduino?

Another question... cerving might have to answer this one. I know that I can stream data for the quark to the ground using a radio, could I use the serial lines to send that data to a SD card module instead? A la Arduino but without the arduino?

Sure. You could use an OpenLog for that... it takes 9600 baud serial input and dumps it to a text file on a SD card. You can get generics for about $10 on eBay.

How would I connect them together, also will it work without being told what to do from an arduino?

An OpenLog is actually a special-purpose Arduino-based board that takes serial input data and dumps it to a SD card. It connects to the Quark's serial telemetry output pads, TX (to the OpenLog's RXD pad) & GND. You'll need to power it somehow... you can use the same battery as your Quark if you want, it's not gonna draw much current. I have one that I haven't had a chance to play with yet, but I know some other TRF'ers have used them. You can also connect it to an Eggfinder to save the NMEA data stream.

OK cool. I will post updates on the build here or start a new thread for it. I won't be doing much until spring though. (Disclaimer: I don't do very well updating threads, it's why I have not done a build thread.)

Is there a recommended soldering iron model for the quark? I read the assembly instructions and they mentioned a weller model that I can't seem to find on their website.

Is there a recommended soldering iron model for the quark? I read the assembly instructions and they mentioned a weller model that I can't seem to find on their website.

I'm not as cool as cerving, but I use a weller WLC100. I have the temp usually set between 2.5 and 3. I sometimes use the stuff that Cris provides, or Kester lead free (my normal solder). Remember that there are different tip sizes for the iron, and smaller is better for doing SMD type stuff. Also, the tips do wear out- I replace mine every 6 months or so.

FWIW - i just finished up soldering a Quantum with this iron. Don't have a Lipo battery to hook up to it yet- just wanted to solder something for a while :)

WLC100 is variable from 40watts down to 5. Considering I'm running it normally at less than halfway up on the knob, you're probably ok. If you find the solder isn't heating or flowing quickly, it might be an issue (assuming you've cleaned your tip, etc).

Ok, just to clarify, the soldering iron in the link is the one I own. I believe the instructions say to use a 15W iron or less. That is why I am concerned.

I think you're fine. Not sure how much soldering experience you have, but with SMT, the faster you move, the better.

Ok, just to clarify, the soldering iron in the link is the one I own. I believe the instructions say to use a 15W iron or less. That is why I am concerned.

I visited a client recently, who manufactures large power supplies (UPS') that are deployed globally, within a city to provide temporary power for traffic lights, etc. They design and manufacture all of their boards and they use 1608 SMT components on their boards which they manually solder. I spoke with the lady who does all the assembly and I was quite surprised to see her iron set-up. It was a simple inexpensive on/off, one temp fits all iron, no variable temp, just a very fine tip iron. She did have a microscope, and proper ventilation, LED lighting, jigs for holding their boards, etc., but the iron was basic.

This is not to say that there is a place for variable temp irons but after looking at her work I came to the conclusion that I wasted my money in buying a variable temp iron. I leave my iron set in the middle position and I have yet to need to adjust it, but my usage is limited and low so YMMV. Having said that I have assembled at least 1 of every product that Eggtimer sells.

Back