Rocket Club

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tim! You and I share some similar experiences. I was heavily into rocketry as a teenager and a few years ago, I started a rocketry program at my middle school. I'll be glad to send you some resources that I put together. Also, acsupplyco.com has fantastic deals for rocket kits, engines, and building supplies. Also, check Estesrockets.com periodically because they often have some good deals on simple, Skill Level 1 kits that would be ideal for the kids.

Thanks for the reply! I'll send a PM with my email address-I'd love to see what kind of set up you have going.
I just took delivery of 5 Estes Vagabond kits at $5.49/each from their website and placed an order for 6 other kits of various sizes and skill levels. When I see kits going for that $4-$5 range, I have a tough time resisting! I'll check acsupply out. Hobbylinc also looks like they have some good prices and selections.
Take care,
Tim

Just a quick update on our rocket club. We have 13 kids who have signed up--I wasn't sure what to expect and I think 13 will be a great number to start with! 3 or 4 of the kids have some good rocket building experience which will be very helpful. We're on spring break right now and our first meeting is next Tuesday. I'm going to get them building a rocket and launching right off the bat, then we'll settle in and figure out what they want the club to be as we move forward--just for fun, TARC, higher powered stuff, who knows? One of the kids is really into scale models so I'm kind of excited to check that out. At this age, I've found if you can give kids some control over the direction they want to go (with some guidance of course) they almost always surprise you in a good way!
In other potentially interesting news--our high school is putting together a maker space/fabrication lab with CNC router, 3d printing, etc. Oh the possibilities!!!

Just some simple advice, stay away from C6-5's ;) With small rockets they go laser fast and many times the rocket can be lost and lost rockets crush little kids more than just breaking one. There are "Educator's Packs" of rocket motors that contain like 24 A6-3 with extra wadding and the igniters. The rocket still goes up and that's really what the kids love but you vastly increase the chance of getting it back.

You're off to a good start, have fun :)

Hi all,
With only a few days left in the school year I thought I'd give an update for anyone interested. Panther Aerospace Club has been meeting twice a week since March. The kids have built at least 3 rockets each. I was able to score some good deals for the kids through Estes clearance sales, acsupply, and Hobbylinc. We haven't really taken much of a direction yet as far as the future of the club other than just building rockets, launching rockets, and having fun. They have, however, expressed some interest in building something big--thanks Dan Feller for your inspiring videos and story! I doubt we'll ever build something quite as big as your Dragonfly but who knows!
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with support and advice on this thread--it was much appreciated! If anyone has any advice for getting kids to paint neatly and use a little less glue, I'm all ears.:)
Feel free to take a look at our club facebook page if you're so inclined.

https://www.facebook.com/emsrockets/

Had to just share a pic of my rocket club kids from our last launch of the school year. After 21 years in education, this group made this year one of the best!
IMG_2000.jpg

Hi all,
With only a few days left in the school year I thought I'd give an update for anyone interested. Panther Aerospace Club has been meeting twice a week since March. The kids have built at least 3 rockets each. I was able to score some good deals for the kids through Estes clearance sales, acsupply, and Hobbylinc. We haven't really taken much of a direction yet as far as the future of the club other than just building rockets, launching rockets, and having fun. They have, however, expressed some interest in building something big--thanks Dan Feller for your inspiring videos and story! I doubt we'll ever build something quite as big as your Dragonfly but who knows!
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with support and advice on this thread--it was much appreciated! If anyone has any advice for getting kids to paint neatly and use a little less glue, I'm all ears.:)
Feel free to take a look at our club facebook page if you're so inclined.

https://www.facebook.com/emsrockets/

That is impressive, three rockets each is a lot of building!

You are very welcome for anything I was able to do. Building rockets, launching rockets, and having fun is what it is all about!

Back