LOC King Viper III - practical, not perfect

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for all the responses. Really just posted to let all know how great this kit is! Heard from many that they shredded their KVIII. I built it pretty stout but we'll see. Flew the fins off a Polecat kit back in November.

Thx for all the responses. Really just posted to let all know how great this kit is! Heard from many that they shredded their KVIII. I built it pretty stout but we'll see. Flew the fins off a Polecat kit back in November.

So... Since that said Polecat remnants are sitting in my garage waiting for some miracle, should I throw in my name for the left over bits of this one when your flight is finished?
:wink: :wink: :grin: :grin:

Wow, Tim! She turned out beautiful! Really like how the white body contrasts the snakeskin cone and tri-tube booster and how the colors are similar to the Viper vinyl! Well done; hope to see it fly at LDRS!

So if the 2.6" is a Viper, and the 5.5" is a King Viper, what does that make the 7.5" version?

-Eric-

What kind of motors were they using, and did the do any fin overlay reinforcement like you?

So if the 2.6" is a Viper, and the 5.5" is a King Viper, what does that make the 7.5" version?

-Eric-

Imperial Viper?

What kind of motors were they using, and did the do any fin overlay reinforcement like you?

Don't mind Adrian, he's just giving me crap.

Heard from Hrocket and others that fins and junction of tri-tubes into aft of main body are shread-sensitive. Look back a couple of posts to see fin lamination scheme.

First flight will be on three research K400's then I'll move up from there.

Imperial Viper?

Now that would be cool!!!

Don't mind Adrian, he's just giving me crap.

I'm not giving you too much crap. I'm more trying to get my name in first for when you sell this kit eventually (you know you will...) :wink:
But flying the fins off that Skeeter WAS cool... Especially when it's not my rocket... :kill:

I'm not giving you too much crap. I'm more trying to get my name in first for when you sell this kit eventually (you know you will...) :wink:
But flying the fins off that Skeeter WAS cool... Especially when it's not my rocket... :kill:

Yes I will... And the bidding starts at... :)

Wow Tim, that is a masterpiece! I've attempted many wraps on different things in the past so I can appreciate how difficult that wrap was, impressive!

A little pre-LDRS motor building. Moved it outside the workshop onto the back deck--so nice outside!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491078559.185173.jpg

So, I'm hijacking this thread.
The flight at Airfest didn't go well. A little CATO problem...
Tim offered me the remains, to see if I'd like to revive it.
Challenge accepted!
This was all that was left of the mmt... The motor cases and fins were never to be seen again.
IMG_0665.JPG
So, a little saw action and we have a fresh clean cut.
IMG_0666.JPG
I don't have a pic yet, but the remainder of the tubes were extracted (none too gently, I might add...) from the main body tube.
Next: the new parts

Well the original was AMAZING. :clap:
Good luck on the revival! Would it have been possible to use couplers to couple 54mm MMT on the remains after the cut?

Were there pics of the flight?

Well the original was AMAZING. :clap:
Good luck on the revival! 1] Would it have been possible to use couplers to couple 54mm MMT on the remains after the cut?] 1]

2] Were there pics of the flight?

# 1 answer: I thought for strength purposes, it would be better to start fresh. I'm hoping to eventually fly K185's someday (although Tim has already tried to make me a deal on 3 K850's :eyepop: :y: ).

#2 answer: Not that I'm aware of. I couldn't make it to Airfest this year. Tim will have to answer that one. Maybe me AND the KVIII will make Airfest next year... I hope!

#2 answer: Not that I'm aware of. I couldn't make it to Airfest this year. Tim will have to answer that one. Maybe me AND the KVIII will make Airfest next year... I hope!

PPleeeeease.....the way you build!

Make it to Airfest NEXT year....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::flyingpig::flyingpig::flyingpig::flyingpig::lol::lol::lol::lol::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I'll sweeten the pot...get'r done and I will make you some special motor starters that WILL start all 3 at same time...what ever the motor choice.

Last edited:
PPleeeeease.....the way you build!

Make it to Airfest NEXT year....[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]:flyingpig::flyingpig::flyingpig::flyingpig:[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

I'll sweeten the pot...get'r done and I will make you some special motor starters that WILL start all 3 at same time...what ever the motor choice.
All three started well, but one started "very well" - ugh!

No pics that I've seen although the LOC guys were at the away cell with me as RSO at the time. IIRC, still fairly blurry recording...

From the Ether...

Oh no...what were the motors in question and what igniters were used?

Oh no...what were the motors in question and what igniters were used?
Homebrew K400-ish from successful batch. One CATO near fore end of motor resulting in a nice aluminum shrapnel design. Lighters were not excessive; Big-Uns with Quickburst painted grains. Not an ignition problem; likely a grain or liner problem.

From the Ether...

Last edited:
I got all the rebuild parts Saturday from Wildman. Peeled the glasine off of the motor tubes. So they're ready. The fins looked "off", so a few emails to the LOC boys, and found out that the fin shape has been changed. The new fins are little differently shaped compared to the ones you saw in Tim's pictures. I guess the short answer is the shape changed to reduce flutter. Which is good, 'cause I'm gonna push this sucker... :eyeroll:
I'll post a picture of the new fins (and other parts) Friday or Saturday (soonest I'll be home).

CJ, I’ll up your offer. Adrian, if you have it built and ready to go, make it to AirFest (2018) I will supply you with (3) 54mm 5 grain motors!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

If I make it to Airfest, I'll supply you with 2 spectating eyes.

I don't see why you won't get it done now. It's all there for the taking.

I got all the rebuild parts Saturday from Wildman. Peeled the glasine off of the motor tubes. So they're ready. The fins looked "off", so a few emails to the LOC boys, and found out that the fin shape has been changed. The new fins are little differently shaped compared to the ones you saw in Tim's pictures. I guess the short answer is the shape changed to reduce flutter. Which is good, 'cause I'm gonna push this sucker... :eyeroll:
I'll post a picture of the new fins (and other parts) Friday or Saturday (soonest I'll be home).

Yo Adrian,

They look like this? (The ones in the middle)

056_zpsxp3m3efb.jpg

...from the "Viper Family" Build thread (which I realize now I didn't really finish, nor do a good job documenting the King Viper build).

The "old style" fins had a lot of surface area...probably too much. Lots of reports over the years of the tri-motor assemblies suffering rapid disassembly at max-Q. I think that the current style has a better chance of survival, without losing too much stability from decreased surface area.

I should've grabbed those fins out of the box when I saw them at Bong...put some nice bevels on there for you.

Back