LOC King Viper III - practical, not perfect

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Adrian,

They look like this? (The ones in the middle)

056_zpsxp3m3efb.jpg

...from the "Viper Family" Build thread (which I realize now I didn't really finish, nor do a good job documenting the King Viper build).

The "old style" fins had a lot of surface area...probably too much. Lots of reports over the years of the tri-motor assemblies suffering rapid disassembly at max-Q. I think that the current style has a better chance of survival, without losing too much stability from decreased surface area.

I should've grabbed those fins out of the box when I saw them at Bong...put some nice bevels on there for you.

Yep, those are it. Thus my confusion when I opened the box... They didn't look like the ones in Tim's pictures.

That would have been awesome. I asked Mr Farrand, and he said he can do it for me. That's the one tool (well, wood working tools in general) I don't own. A router is sorta on my short list (I'm assuming that's what you use?), but a friend keeps telling me he has an extra and has offered it to me, but I haven't seen it yet...

Yep, those are it. Thus my confusion when I opened the box... They didn't look like the ones in Tim's pictures.

That would have been awesome. I asked Mr Farrand, and he said he can do it for me. That's the one tool (well, wood working tools in general) I don't own. A router is sorta on my short list (I'm assuming that's what you use?), but a friend keeps telling me he has an extra and has offered it to me, but I haven't seen it yet...

Sweet! Can't go wrong with JF!!!!

If I may make a recommendation to bevel the root edge as well...the fins fit much better in those crevices better that way!

I don't see why you won't get it done now. It's all there for the taking.

Yo do realize this is Adrian we're talking about here.

I have nothing to offer, other than frequent prodding to finish this, the Polecat Chaos, and the 4 finned 4" Punisher.

Yo do realize this is Adrian we're talking about here.

I have nothing to offer, other than frequent prodding to finish this, the Polecat Chaos, and the 4 finned 4" Punisher.

Somehow I missed Jason's post. Boy am I glad I reread this post! Wow! That's an offer that is gonna be hard to refuse... I'm having lunch with the boss right now. Told him I have to have off Labor Day weekend :) He OK'd it :wink:
The Punisher 4X4 has all four fins installed, now time for the internals. However, I won't be home the rest of the week. So any further building won't happen until the weekend.

So, today I sanded the centering ring bores to fit the motor tubes. It was so exciting I forgot to take pictures :eyeroll: Tomorrow I'll glue the first set of mmt tubes together (I hope). I'm trying to pressure myself into getting this done, so I can have it ready for Airfest. Actually, my goal really is mini Midwest Power on something like I65's??? I'll have to check weights. Probably have to go bigger :wink: But for the first flight, I'm still thinking DMS motors until I get things dialed in...

So, today I sanded the centering ring bores to fit the motor tubes. It was so exciting I forgot to take pictures :eyeroll: Tomorrow I'll glue the first set of mmt tubes together (I hope). I'm trying to pressure myself into getting this done, so I can have it ready for Airfest. Actually, my goal really is mini Midwest Power on something like I65's??? I'll have to check weights. Probably have to go bigger :wink: But for the first flight, I'm still thinking DMS motors until I get things dialed in...

Yes and Yes. Looking forward to Flight #1.7!

Motor mounts glued together. Yay!!! Centering rings sanded to fit over said motor mounts. Fins beveled on three sides. And most important, the bore for the motor mount assembly to slide into is all ready.

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

Last weekend I went to Tim's shop to discuss fin options. I left with another set of fins. This weekend I glued a set on. Well, no pictures, so I'll keep you in suspenders as to what set I put on... But progress has been made! If I'm not careful, this might fly this year... :eyeroll:

Progress has been made. All the fins are on. Fillets are done between the tubes. Fillets for the fins are next. My sons cat stopped by for a visit...

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

FWIW they all look right in Tapatalk Pro on Android *shrug*

Photo rotation is like Bluetooth. It kind of works, just don't try to do anything important with it :p

All fillets are done. I used way more epoxy than I had anticipated to fill the gap between the fins and the motor tubes. So I actually have a picture of this... :blush:

They aren't pretty, but should suffice to get to the next step.
So there...

IMG_0700.JPG

Looking good "Not Carl"!!! When's the anticipated flight????

Funny you should ask. I was over at "The Eye's" place today, and we laid on the first piece of CF on the fins. I forgot to snap a pic. I think he did, maybe he can post it...
Anyhow, the plan is first flight at mini Midwest Power in May. Motors still TBD... Gotta weigh the thing and see how small (er, big, I mean, yeah, big, that's it...) I can go..

Funny you should ask. I was over at "The Eye's" place today, and we laid on the first piece of CF on the fins. I forgot to snap a pic. I think he did, maybe he can post it...
Anyhow, the plan is first flight at mini Midwest Power in May. Motors still TBD... Gotta weigh the thing and see how small (er, big, I mean, yeah, big, that's it...) I can go..

Hmmmmmmm. Was going to fly my kv3 at Midwest Blast in April. May have to postpone till Mmwp. Or burn the loads and reload for your flight in May.

What motors you thinking, chief?

Hmmmmmmm. Was going to fly my kv3 at Midwest Blast in April. May have to postpone till Mmwp. Or burn the loads and reload for your flight in May.

Why not both of you fly them at Tripoli Wisconsin next weekend? Viper drag race? :)

What motors you thinking, chief?

I'm gonna do the wise thing and wait until I have an actual all finished weight before I commit to a set of motors. Or, what I can afford, since we're on only 32 hr weeks...

Why not both of you fly them at Tripoli Wisconsin next weekend? Viper drag race? :)

Not gonna be ready, so sorry. I will fly no rocket before it's time... :eyeroll:

Back