What's your Largest motor in LP tubing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flown the BT60 based star orbiter stock (wood glue only) on an economax G74-9W....only issue was transonic shredded the balsa fins. Tubes were fine. Rebuilt with basswood fins to fly again this spring on same motor.

Sims projecting transonic speeds on a full G or low H is what has kept me from putting one in my Star Orbiter since the balsa fins, though TTW, are still only 1/8 inch thick balsa. No worries about the tube.

So far the most mine has seen is an F26-9.

Hmmm.....maybe I need to make one with basswood fins as you have. I have a couple more on hand and they're in stock at the local H-L. But then, what about the nose cone :) ?

Nose was fine... Flight was good, actually except for the fins shredding and all :) This is how it was recovered ... so I've carved out the balsa fins, filled the slots with rocketpoxy and cut new slots at 60 degree offset for 1/8 basswood fins. Looking forward to trying again :)

1483750221479.jpg

1483750247638.jpg

The tube's strength won't decrease,... but with a longer tube, other forces acting on the tube/airframe will be more prominent, which could lead to failure. The test I preformed was to determine it's compressional strength only.

Ah, bad wording on my part. I was referring to the failure strength going down in buckling (Pcritical) instead of the pure material strength (tensile/compressive)

Back