Monthly challenge, who's interested.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about we all build the same rocket?
Best paint scheme gets a point.
Best finish gets a point.
All use the same engine to launch it.
The one that lands closest to the pad gets a point.
Add a point in there for techniques on building (photo's a must)
A point for the best flight stability, no twisting or veering off.
A point for the best flight video (extra credit, not all of us have good video cameras)

I think this all is better suited to a "kit bash" or to a specific contest idea / build.
Who judges for said points? Who would keep track of said points, and what do the most point earn?
Some launch days, within the allotted time frame may yield better weather for some of the criteria mentioned above.. so, some might have an advantage over others..

Having trouble with quotes, so I'll just say that Woody's idea reminded me of the group builds at a scale modeling forum that I used to frequent.

An example:
Early Jets Group Build: Any operational jet aircraft built prior to 1960 (later derivatives of designs from this era are permitted). Start date is Feb 1, 2017. End date is Jul 31, 2017.

For rockets a kit could be specified or a kit and required components of said kit could be specified. It could also be less specific and simply be a cluster with a simple limitation to remain below L1. These are just a couple of thoughts that ran through my head, I have a few more but they all are in the vein of simple, LPR/MPR and either concentrate on build skills or introduce a simple design element that tries to deviate some from the 3FNC standard.

I think this all is better suited to a "kit bash" or to a specific contest idea / build.
Who judges for said points? Who would keep track of said points, and what do the most point earn?
Some launch days, within the allotted time frame may yield better weather for some of the criteria mentioned above.. so, some might have an advantage over others..

We are back to the old saying, "There is no such thing as an equal or fair competition "

Having trouble with quotes, so I'll just say that Woody's idea reminded me of the group builds at a scale modeling forum that I used to frequent.

An example:
Early Jets Group Build: Any operational jet aircraft built prior to 1960 (later derivatives of designs from this era are permitted). Start date is Feb 1, 2017. End date is Jul 31, 2017.

For rockets a kit could be specified or a kit and required components of said kit could be specified. It could also be less specific and simply be a cluster with a simple limitation to remain below L1. These are just a couple of thoughts that ran through my head, I have a few more but they all are in the vein of simple, LPR/MPR and either concentrate on build skills or introduce a simple design element that tries to deviate some from the 3FNC standard.

I like Bill's idea, and I think I used to frequent the same plastic modeling forum. I also like the quarterly notion vs. the monthly one. I'm also intrigued by the idea of a (LPR) rocket built entirely of balsa wood.

for a time frame reference. I'll be trying to get this up and running by january 15.

If I may submit a quick thought or two.

When setting something up like this, it's easy to get grandiose ideas about doing it once a month, all kinds of winning criteria and tasks, etc. Resist this urge and start *simple*. One contest, with simple rules, and a relaxed deadline. See how it goes, and then adjust accordingly.

A popular concept in product development right now is Minimum Viable Product (MVP): start off with the simplest, most minimally featured product that does enough to actually be sellable. Then use information gathered from selling that product to guide further development. That way you don't waste a bunch of time and money building in piles of features that it turns out no one needs. Similar approach here would be smart I think.

Mt two cents: consider limiting it to Class 1 Model Rockets, so that all may participate regardless of their cert, field, or waiver status.

I'm not too up on International regs, but I think that would fit the bill for most of them as well.

well now that just makes to much sense. Thanks for leading me there.

well now that just makes to much sense. Thanks for leading me there.

something like that would probably work for one of the challenges.

Mt two cents: consider limiting it to Class 1 Model Rockets, so that all may participate regardless of their cert, field, or waiver status.

I'm not too up on International regs, but I think that would fit the bill for most of them as well.
ive b en thinking about not specifying the rocket size. For instance if the challenge could be build a parchute out of all. Also wood. The person could build the rocket to us any size of motors they want. If there is a challenge that invokes a specifics motor size it would be a LPR just to make it more accessible.

on the topic of judging it will a forum pole.
on the topic of prizes there will be nothing other then bragging rights and the fun of seeing what everyone comes up with.

One last thought, possibly already said above but I'm too lazy to reread the thread: for the winter months, some sort of contest that doesn't require painting or launching would be great. I have no idea what such a contest could be, mind you.

One last thought, possibly already said above but I'm too lazy to reread the thread: for the winter months, some sort of contest that doesn't require painting or launching would be great. I have no idea what such a contest could be, mind you.

That could also be a good time for a winter build off. It could could be long term (say Jan to Apr) and be a tougher challenge accommodated by the longer build, or just simply longer to allow for the builds that folks will be doing during the winter anyway.

Oh man I went back and read through some of my posts and there are almost unreadable. I've been posting from my phone and apparently not proof reading. Don't let my spelling and mistakes be mistaken for incompetence.

How about rocket sleds!!! Kidding I think I'm the only person who does that. To be honest I'm not understanding this no rocketry in winter stuff, your the second person to mention that. I find I have more time in the winter because I can't do a lot of my summer hobbies.

The challenge has been set. please click the link to check it out. I tried to PM everybody. If I missed your or sent you two I apologize.

Back