Monthly challenge, who's interested.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbecks

Reaction score
I'm interested in starting a monthly rocket Building challenge group on this site. What im visualizing is:
1) a challenge is presented for that specific month. For example, build a rocket out of nothing but balsa wood, or build a rocket that is safely recovered but doesn't involve a parachute ect.
2)you post a video showing off your rocket and it's launch.
3) a poll is held to vote on who's video you liked the most.

I want it to help people get creative with rocketry, learn new skills, get out side there norm and to help promote people's YouTube channels.

problems:
-first off is there interest in something like this?
-does anyone here know how to organize stuff like this and would there be willing helpers?

let me know what you think?

I don't think I'd participate, but I'd love to help out with running it.

Sounds like fun.....but monthly may be a bit much.....quarterly would probably be better...Winter Build, Spring Build, existing Summer Build, and finally Fall build.

I live in Canada where its very cold and it seems to make launching easier for me. less chance of fire and way easier to see a rocket that lands in a tree. For those that couldn't participate because of weather that's fine to, just sit that challenge out and watch the entertaining videos.

I don't think I'd participate, but I'd love to help out with running it.

great thanks. do you have any advice on how to start this thing up? What sort of help would you like do?

Sounds like fun.....but monthly may be a bit much.....quarterly would probably be better...Winter Build, Spring Build, existing Summer Build, and finally Fall build.
that was another option I was rolling around in my head. I guess it depends on what kind of rockets and videos we want. for instance, monthly you might get a lot more crude builds and funny videos because of it, Quarterly you could get some elaborate amazing detailed builds. both sound interesting.
I guess after this forum runs for a few days ill try to get an idea of what people would be interested in and run with that. that's if it is something end up wanting to do at all.

Personally, due to life commitments (like work) doing a challenge in a month may be difficult. My average build rate is only 10 rockets a year....
Plus if your club launch is near the beginning of the month you may not get a chance to fly.

I think I would enjoy quarterly. To avoid conflicts with club launches getting canceled, LPR/MPR would probably be best. With optional HPR versions for those who want to do them.

I think I would enjoy quarterly. To avoid conflicts with club launches getting canceled, LPR/MPR would probably be best. With optional HPR versions for those who want to do them.

Definetly, my thoughts were mostly low power builds that should only take a weekend or 2 depending on how complex you wanted to get.

I'd love to see what people come up with. Good way to learn new designs, techniques or use of materials.

For me, living in Canada and in a metropolis makes for a long, long build season so launching may not happen until April or May. I do have a couple cool builds in the planning stage though.

What's the prize?

I would think "Bragging rights"!! Although a sponsor would be cool!

I would vote for quarterly, with one in the MPR / HPR range.. Or that they have a 2-4 month grace period / timeframe (depending on complexity, expectations, etc..) Time them accordingly, so that voting happen in the chosen 'theme' month..

Some ideas:
Flying Egg Oddroc or a 'paint your rocket like an Easter egg'
Valentines day special (hearts, lovies, or a 'cupid's arrow' design..)
St. Pattie's day special (green, shamrocks, a flying beer can (Guinness of course!)
Kit bash a (new design) Goonie use only a Baby Bertha kit (or upscale for MPR / HPR)
best 'Blue' (or green, or red or purple or.. ) colour paint scheme
Cluster! wildest cluster model
No fin challenge: a rocket with no fins, nor tubes.. a cone, a saucer, a pyramid, etc..
Largest fin area (in relation to rocket size)
Best 'alien' rocket (some fantasy / spacey / out of this world design)
Best scale: Missile, manned flight, rocketry / flight development, etc..
Steampunk!

I like the idea of quarterly, I figure that you would get a higher completion rate that way. Throwing in an occasional 30 day challenge could keep it interesting though.

I am thinking that the Summer Build Off is a keeper and adding a couple of small build challenges for the spring and fall would add to what has been started. We could also consider a more involved winter build since that is the build season for many.

Just an idea to throw out there, my family likes to watch some of the cooking contests and the idea of an extended contest with a small twist thrown in mid build could make things interesting (as long as folks know from the start there will be a change).

The TRF Summer Build Off was lots of fun. Having a couple of build challenges throughout the year will help folks from getting in a build rut. Prizes? Bragging rights are good enough for me.

I'll PM those interested eventually if we have enough people and we can discuss the details.

Quarterly seems more reasonable.

Alternatively, you could post 3 or 4 challenges, and everybody would have a calendar year to complete as many as they could, and then there is some sort of annual judging for awards for each category/overall or whatever.

Quarterly seems more reasonable.

Alternatively, you could post 3 or 4 challenges, and everybody would have a calendar year to complete as many as they could, and then there is some sort of annual judging for awards for each category/overall or whatever.

That's not a bad idea!

Since making it to a launch is an issue for some, maybe we could have monthly* design challenges, were we create a design file that follows/best accomplishes some kind of criteria. The twist could be that the exact motor choices aren't given, the rocket gets simulation launched into an unknown weather condition or that the fins get increased/decreased after submission, for interesting flights.

Such as:
-Most BT 5 tube fins on a rocket that gets over 250 feet on an undisclosed 18mm motor (But a range of 7.5-20n/s is given.)
-Largest (insert motor) cluster that stays under 100 feet
-Most transitions on a rocket that gets to some altitude
-A TARC like competition, but altitude is way higher, you have to carry the equivilant mass of 200 eggs, unknown weather, and on Lvl 3 motors. Limit landing speed and must land under a certain distance from the launch pad
-Create a motor that gets (insert rocket) to (altitude) at T+(time). Unknown weather.
-Highest altitude in hurricane winds
Etc...

Probably an individual section OR and rocksim, since the simulations vary between the programs.

*Edit: By monthly, I mean on some months we could have it.

Last edited:
Since making it to a launch is an issue for some, maybe we could have monthly* design challenges, were we create a design file that follows/best accomplishes some kind of criteria. The twist could be that the exact motor choices aren't given, the rocket gets simulation launched into an unknown weather condition or that the fins get increased/decreased after submission, for interesting flights.

Such as:
-Most BT 5 tube fins on a rocket that gets over 250 feet on an undisclosed 18mm motor (But a range of 7.5-20n/s is given.)
-Largest (insert motor) cluster that stays under 100 feet
-Most transitions on a rocket that gets to some altitude
-A TARC like competition, but altitude is way higher, you have to carry the equivilant mass of 200 eggs, unknown weather, and on Lvl 3 motors. Limit landing speed and must land under a certain distance from the launch pad
-Create a motor that gets (insert rocket) to (altitude) at T+(time). Unknown weather.
-Highest altitude in hurricane winds
Etc...

Probably an individual section OR and rocksim, since the simulations vary between the programs.

*Edit: By monthly, I mean on some months we could have it.

Simulation launches would be boring, honestly.

Do you have anything that you're planning on building in order to contribute?

Sounds like this is getting a little bit of interest. That's great, I'm going to let the idea tumble around here for a few more days. I'll then go through and PM all the interested people. We will start a thread and vote on some stuff. Thanks for the responses guys. Keep up the discussion so the thread stays visible and others get a chaNce to see the idea.

To the competition or to make a build thread?

Either, neither or both? That's up to you. Everyone has a different take on design and construction and tangible results pass or fail add a lot of value. If you're planning a build thread soon, maybe wait until something gets going before starting. Wouldn't want to be half way through a cool build and then realise you could have made an entry.

I would be more in favor of quarterly, as you might have more entries given a larger window to work with. Perhaps there could be simultaneous contests?

Administration of any organized challenge or competition isnt easy. As long as someone is able and willing, then I say go for it. See how things go?

Before I message everyone, where should the thread be held? I feel it needs an appropriate place that is slightly slower in traffic. What I mean by that is that if it's held in "the watering hole" it might go down in the pages and be forgotten about it or just not seen by people who can't check the site every day. Suggestions?

How about we all build the same rocket?
Best paint scheme gets a point.
Best finish gets a point.
All use the same engine to launch it.
The one that lands closest to the pad gets a point.
Add a point in there for techniques on building (photo's a must)
A point for the best flight stability, no twisting or veering off.
A point for the best flight video (extra credit, not all of us have good video cameras)

well now that just makes to much sense. Thanks for leading me there.

How about we all build the same rocket?
Best paint scheme gets a point.
Best finish gets a point.
All use the same engine to launch it.
The one that lands closest to the pad gets a point.
Add a point in there for techniques on building (photo's a must)
A point for the best flight stability, no twisting or veering off.
A point for the best flight video (extra credit, not all of us have good video cameras)

something like that would probably work for one of the challenges.

Back