Hybrids 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First: Prost! :)
It's Oktoberfest here :)

Second: after 2 years of abstinence we will flight tomorrow again...Hybridz of course...

My Nitrous Eagle Claw will scream the bavarian skies again.

WP_20170929_21_14_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20170929_21_14_01_Pro.jpg

I am really nervous... funny...I feel like just before a date :) (well long ago LOL)

We shall fly 2x K, one being a sparky II, the other a white smoke (contrail experimental) with medium nozzle / 1/4 injector... and a 48" casing.

I expect around 1600Ns total impulse with 3 to 4 sec burn time and over 1000Ns peak ...but just an educated guess... no TMT measurement available anyway.

But my experience with both fuels was *smile*... here from the past:
https://youtu.be/yEfylFQwNk4

I let you know.. we shall video the whole party indeed...

Denis

Back home...just exhausted but very pleased... we did 4 beautifull hybrid flights with 2 different rockets. 2xJ (Sparky) and 2xK (one sparky and one white smoke fuel). I had the K on my eagle claw... I was myself surprised...by the sound...again... nothing that hurts more your soul and heart as contrail hybrids in full power... just unbelievable, no comparison to normal motors...
Here a few pictures from the onboard cam. Different films will come next days...

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h20m36s70.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h21m17s230.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h21m51s45.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h23m11s57.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h24m40s48.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h25m41s56.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h26m59s44.png

vlcsnap-2017-09-30-23h29m31s62.jpg

and the best at the end... the edited footage (shorten a lot) ... turn volume to max and enjoy tanking and ignition...at 2:50 min :) !

[video]https://youtu.be/MsWnE983KUk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;MsWnE983KUk]https://youtu.be/MsWnE983KUk[/video]

Excelent pics and video Denis, glad you are back to flying again!

Be my guest :)

flights of the day in another NEW video:

[video]https://youtu.be/ET9Lh3s5J6E[/video]
[video=youtube_share;ET9Lh3s5J6E]https://youtu.be/ET9Lh3s5J6E[/video]

my eagle claw...the K-bird

IMG-20170930-WA0002.jpg

The Doctor... the J-bird (guest star on the left: Leo from South-Carolina Rocketry Association!)

IMG-20170930-WA0004.jpg

easy flying with contrail motors... ignition was just a smile... we shall all thank Tom @ contrail rocket motors for supporting our hybrid community....

More footage... absolutely georgous quality and cut from our friend Leo.... the famous altimeter builder from South-Carolina (lost in Bavaria? *g*)

Please enjoy Leo's art direction and his fabulous wide angle shots...

[video=youtube_share;cl27VL3bu_o]https://youtu.be/cl27VL3bu_o[/video]

Getting ready for ROCstock November 11 at Lucerne,

Prepping
Contrail M
Skyripper J
RATT J
RATT I

Anyone else coming out with Hybrids?

Mike K

Does anyone on this thread still have SkyRipper Hybrid hardware? Are you looking for reloads? Pm me, please.

Is there any interest in a complete Alpha Hybrids motor system? I have many reloads, hardware, complete GSE (minus the scale) and a 10# tank. This is a certified I250 system that Alpha produced and certified just before the 'crash" of hybrids in 2009...

DSC_5003.jpg DSC_5002.jpg

Dare I ask what happened to Hybrids in 2009?

In 2009 NAR and Tripoli won their lawsuit against ATF. The lawsuit, which at the time was the longest lasting lawsuit in US District Court, sought to remove APCP from the List of Explosives which the ATF maintains.
Before we won the lawsuit a low explosive user permit, a magazine, and periodic inspections were required in order to buy and store reloads or single use motors containing more than 62 grams mass APCP.
Thanks to continuing efforts by the ATF, NAR and TRA, our relationship is much better now. We meet annually to discuss mutually interesting topics. I’ve not attended one of these meetings yet, but I’m looking forward to it next year.

APCP was pulled off the "explosives list" and interest in hybrids waned considerably to what we are faced with now... desolation so to speak.

In 2009 NAR and Tripoli won their lawsuit against ATF. The lawsuit, which at the time was the longest lasting lawsuit in US District Court, sought to remove APCP from the List of Explosives which the ATF maintains.
Before we won the lawsuit a low explosive user permit, a magazine, and periodic inspections were required in order to buy and store reloads or single use motors containing more than 62 grams mass APCP.
Thanks to continuing efforts by the ATF, NAR and TRA, our relationship is much better now. We meet annually to discuss mutually interesting topics. I’ve not attended one of these meetings yet, but I’m looking forward to it next year.

Ah! Yes the lawsuit victory! I've heard and read much about it, I just wasn't making the logical connection of "Increased APCP regulation = More incentive for hybrid users". Thanks for clearing the brain fog

Ah! Yes the lawsuit victory! I've heard and read much about it, I just wasn't making the logical connection of "Increased APCP regulation = More incentive for hybrid users". Thanks for clearing the brain fog

The AeroTech fire in 2001 likely contributed to hybrids' rise in popularity as well. CTI was not yet the major player that they are now.

I've been working on getting my 4-inch chilled nitrous/alcohol tribrid with a pintle injector and valving finished for some hot fire testing this winter. I just have to make something to adapt it to my test stand.

Edward

Love it! I tried getting a RattWorks Tri-brid from a guy who was leaving the hobby; he had three for sale. That was months ago, and I never heard back from him.

I need to get around to casting another fuel grain and preheater for another THRP-1 test. I've had little time available for a while. I'm still dependent on nitrous supplies of others though. I get mighty tempted to just bolt the fins on and throw an electronics and recovery section on top...

Gerald

PS - I wouldn't mind acquiring a tribrid as well, to study.

The tribrid is really a work of art. The one item when building a clone that wasn't consistent was the bursting of the alcohol tube. I replaced that with a brass rod that plugs the alcohol port and then is pulled out by the fill tube when it burns through. With this setup you have virtually no delay in when the alcohol is injected into the motor. Over 15 tests this year with the clone motor and the brass rod it fired and performed every time flawlessly.

This psuedo-pintle injector is driven mainly by the fact that I have two pyro-actuated valves that now release the flow of the propellants into the chamber. Nitrous fills from a port that will be on the side of the rocket and that releases after the tank is full. The pintle so far has worked well when I did CO2 testing. The other nice part is that including the forward closure there are only five parts that make up the pintle, and I only have to machine three (pintle, pintle adapter, forward closure).

Edward

Last test of the DHX-400 of the year!

[video=youtube;owPatAzXGKE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owPatAzXGKE[/video]

We attempted a shorter burntime this test to see if we mitigated the problems in test 9, which sorta spewed its guts everywhere.

Last test of the DHX-400 of the year!

We attempted a shorter burntime this test to see if we mitigated the problems in test 9, which sorta spewed its guts everywhere.

I spent the better part of yesterday morning pouring over the DELFT YouTube channel, you guys are producing some amazing results from your motor testing and flights. That Christmas tree burn was a nice touch to the ending of the holiday...

Sorry if I asked this before, I have the big M Contrail 3200cc motor and the M1491 M2281 reloads I want to fly at the Oct Culpeper launch. I flew the M1491 once before out of my 20# tank. How many #s do you think it used?

Back