3" Semi-Scale Bullpup Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a hard time deciding on the motor for Bullpup's first flight. SARG's new field has a 1500ft limit, and Snow Ranch had a road wash out, so I don't know when they'll be launching there again. Initially, I was looking at a couple of CTI 3-grain motors, the G106 Skidmark and G125 Red Lightning. But our vendor doesn't have any 3-grain CTI reloads right now, so it has to be Aerotech. I like the single use G75 Metalstorm, but it only sims at 979ft. And since you can't adjust the delay, a 7 second delay would have it moving at 25fps at deployment. Faster than I like. So I might go with an H165 Redline, which sims at 1506ft. The few times I've used an altimeter, the actual altitude has always been less than the sim. And even if it did reach slightly over 1500ft, I think it would be close enough.

As I've done in the past, I flooded the inside of the front of the body tube to toughen it up a bit.

199.JPG

200.JPG

For that sticker, #5. Thanks for this thread, it's inspiring me to keep working toward my lathe purchase.

There are other things you can turn with a lathe besides nose cones and transitions. I've never turned any bowls or anything like that, but I do turn a lot of pens.

done02.JPG

lathe02.JPG

lathe03.JPG

pink_camo01.JPG

There are other things you can turn with a lathe besides nose cones and transitions. I've never turned any bowls or anything like that, but I do turn a lot of pens.

That green one is particularly swanky, Captain.

They are a thing of beauty,but would not expect anything else.There's an old saying........I like it,I like it alot!!!!!!!

I like the high contrast red and black color scheme.

Nice work on the various pens in the pictures. I use mine for signing important (to me) documents. Thanks again for your kindness.

I'm partial to red and black too.

I was thinking something in that line.Apple red and gloss black?I have 2 V2's.Was thinking a paint scheme for one of them with that color combo.

I got wood! Always a good thing when drilling pilot holes for the rail buttons. :wink:

These are low profile one piece buttons from Giant Leap, I believe. I got brass screws for them, I thought they would look better than zinc with the red body. I also drilled and put in two more screws to hold the tailcone in place. I countersunk the holes a bit, so the screw heads would sit more flush. I put some thin CA on the holes, so I can clean them up after the CA dries. I also remembered to mark the position of the rail button screw hole, so everything will line up when I put it back together.

201.JPG

202.JPG

203.JPG

204.JPG

205.JPG

206.JPG

207.JPG

Apparently some CA pooled in the body tube, so I sanded it off with the Dremel. I also got the retainer glued on with JB Weld.

209.jpg

210.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

I really like this Aerotech retainer. It's very, very nice, and was only $11. I tried it with 29/40-120 and 29/180 cases, and a G80 single use. The thrust ring on the 29/180 is thicker than the others, but it fits no problem.

215.JPG

216.JPG

217.JPG

218.JPG

219.JPG

220.JPG

221.JPG

222.JPG

The nose cone fit just a tad too tight in the body tube, so I mounted it back on the lathe and sanded it a bit. I'd rather have it a little loose, I can always put masking tape on it if necessary.

223.JPG

224.JPG

225.JPG

Moving right along.
You are not far from paint now.
btw, the retainers are back in stock at Tower Hobbies.

Yeah, but now the weather is too wet for painting. We've been getting a lot of storms, which is a good thing, considering the several years of drought we've had. Thanks for the heads up on the retainers. I ordered two in December, so still have one left. I'm planning another build with a 29mm motor mount, so that one is covered.

Like I said, I'm going to embed the eyebolt in resin in the nose cone. Those of you who have followed my build threads in the past, know how paranoid I am about certain things. Since the hole for the eyebolt is so shallow, I started worrying about the resin "plug" pulling out. So I drilled a couple of 1/4" holes at an angle in the bottom of the hole. I figure the resin will work into the holes, and be just a little more secure.

226.JPG

227.JPG

228.JPG

229.JPG

230.JPG

In the past when I've mixed resin, I've had a tendency to mix too much. So I got these little 30cc medicine cups, and mixed a little over 20cc. I figured I could mix some more if needed. But as it turns out, 20cc was actually a little too much. Better than mixing 50cc or 60cc like I used to do.

231.JPG

232.JPG

233.JPG

234.JPG

235.JPG

Yeah, but now the weather is too wet for painting. We've been getting a lot of storms, which is a good thing, considering the several years of drought we've had. Thanks for the heads up on the retainers. I ordered two in December, so still have one left. I'm planning another build with a 29mm motor mount, so that one is covered.

Glad your back to building rockets Jim.Now I need to get back into it myself.Did a 5 mile ride on my mountain bike today 7 weeks after a total knee replacement.Sore but man did it feel good.60 today,snow tuesday.Ohio weather in Jan.

Got the final weight of the nose cone. It weighed 16.6 oz, the eyebolt weighed 1.1 oz, so that means the resin weighs 0.8 oz. I also got the decals in the mail. Can't wait to get this thing painted and the decals put on!

decals01.jpg

244.jpg

I started paint today. First was spray sanding sealer on the nose cone, tail cone, and fins. Some sanding, then primer. Not sure what's up with the tip of the nose cone. I'll have to sand it before the second coat tomorrow. Can you believe it? I haven't painted a rocket in two years. As soon as I start, I have problems. Of course, it may not be warm enough. I should have heated the primer in some hot water first.

246.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

I heated the paint up this time, and it seemed to cover a little better. But then I had problems. Got a nice fat run on the nose cone. In this weather, I'll have to wait several days before I can sand and repaint it.

I hate bugs.

254.jpg

255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

Looks like the sealer didn't seal the open pours of the grain all the way.
Use a little Elmers Wood Putty on them and they should seal right up.
What did you decide on for the colors?

I decided not to tempt fate, and go with a no masking color scheme.

black_red01.png

I got the decals put on. I really like the decals and the color scheme of the rocket. I'm pretty happy overall. But the paint? Not so much. When I was applying the decals, I noticed that this is really one of my worst paint jobs. Probably a combination of the weather and loss of some of my limited skills during my downtime. And I'm honest enough to admit not a little laziness and impatience. But still, from 25ft away and in the air it'll look great!

You know, it's been six days since I painted it, and it's still tacky. It's been in the garage, I need to put it in the house where it's warm.

264.jpg

265.jpg

266.jpg

267.jpg

Finally got the tail cone and rail buttons installed. Now I just need to set up the recovery. I really like how this one turned out.

269.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

Back