3" Semi-Scale Bullpup Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still believe that the fin alignment jig is the best thing I ever made for rocketry. It has served me very well over the years. Using it, I got the fins epoxied on. I still have to do internal and external fillets. I'll be using a different method for the canard fins. It's looking good, if I do say so myself!

179.JPG

180.JPG

181.JPG

182.JPG

183.JPG

184.JPG

185.JPG

186.JPG

Looks great Jim. Good to see you bust out the 'ol fin jig again.

One thing to note, is be sure to use spacers the same thickness as the fins. Otherwise, it will attach the fins at an angle to the body tube.

This build thread is tempting me buy a good band saw and lathe. But even if I had top-of-the-line tools, I doubt that I would be able to produce this level of craftsmanship.

This build thread is tempting me buy a good band saw and lathe. But even if I had top-of-the-line tools, I doubt that I would be able to produce this level of craftsmanship.

It's not as hard as you think.
There is a couple books to get to read before you buy that will help tremendously.
I have them both, no use to me anymore.
For a nominal price I'll dig them out of storage.
"THIS" is the one I have on the Band Saw.
"THIS" (I believe) is the one I have on the Lathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case, I was blessed with a father and grandfather who were both experienced woodworkers. And my father was an accomplished wood turner, although I was pretty young at the time. Most of my turning skill I picked up as an adult, learning as I went. I will say that I feel an immense sense of accomplishment when I turn a nose cone.

In my case, I was blessed with a father and grandfather who were both experienced woodworkers. And my father was an accomplished wood turner, although I was pretty young at the time. Most of my turning skill I picked up as an adult, learning as I went. I will say that I feel an immense sense of accomplishment when I turn a nose cone.

+1, its fun to turn nose cones. Scale cones are kind of technically more difficult than general shapes, but both are fun. Let the chips fly!

I said it before and I'll say it again.Your an image of your father and grandfather.You have natural skills that were passed down.You're very lucky my friend.It's not only your skills as a woodworker or rocket builder,you're always there for family and friends.

I said it before and I'll say it again.Your an image of your father and grandfather.You have natural skills that were passed down.You're very lucky my friend.It's not only your skills as a woodworker or rocket builder,you're always there for family and friends.

Thank you Carl.

Since this is a "semi-scale", I've been playing around with different color schemes. I kind of like the red and black, #4.

bullpup_color01.png

bullpup_color02.png

bullpup_color03.png

bullpup_color04.png

bullpup_color05.png

bullpup_color06.png

bullpup_color07.png

Jims builds have been the inspiration of a few tool purchases I imagine.:wink:

As I've done in the past, I used a length of aluminum angle clamped to the rear fins, to epoxy the canard fins to the body tube. Another tip I picked up here on the forum. It's looking like a Bullpup!

188.JPG

189.JPG

190.JPG

191.JPG

192.JPG

194.JPG

Since this is a "semi-scale", I've been playing around with different color schemes. I kind of like the red and black, #4.

I always liked a red rocket scheme.I think mine was more like no.5.Can't find my photos at the moment.

Sorry I'm late to this party. You're makin' TRF great again Captain !

I'm partial to white nose cones. :)

Back