Eggtimer Quantum Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
My work station...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483141727.134135.jpg

iPad for instructions and music, prefer Metallica

Sour Patch Kids for energy!

Dog's name is Jilly.

Here we go but I gotta stop soon for supper, homemade baked spaghetti.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483141847.514098.jpg

Inventory done

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483143463.336048.jpg

I'm not sure about these three parts but by default I think I have correctly identified them.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483143540.554294.jpg

Enjoy! Do you have something for magnification about x10 for inspection? The mag lamp is good for assembly but the x10 is needed to check the detail of the joints. Lesser magnification may work, depending on how good your eyes are and maybe if you know what to look for.

As for the three parts, you have probably got it right. If they fit the footprints on the PCB you are good to go. Cris has done a good job of poka-yoke design. Just follow the instructions well, including the assembly sequence.

Last edited:
I just built mine the other day . I questioned the optoisolators too . I emailed cris he said they were correct.

It looks like you correctly identified the parts. The 104-1G MOSFET looks like the Darringtons but with different markings.

If you follow along with the photos online, as you build, (highly recommended) you will see the optoisolators in the pictures are white. The current kits are black. Just make sure you orient them properly.

Some progress.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162241.670670.jpg

Too much solider
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162271.186972.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162303.590116.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162321.963895.jpg

I made a tape shim.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162335.992700.jpg

Preparing the wifi module.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162371.754438.jpg

And for those who are paying attention.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162417.283210.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162496.429024.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162435.076621.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162435.076621.jpg

Yes you are correct, that was painful.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162621.225269.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483162636.751241.jpg

I solider the wifi to the wrong side of the board. Entirely my fault I missed it in the instructions and the board is diagramed.

Cost me a couple of hours to remove it, hopefully the heat didn't damage it.

And we are back at it.

Yes I have a 10x, 30x and 60x magnifier but you really only need the 10.

$20 including shipping for all this on eBay. Most have LEDs.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483163058.085992.jpg

And a couple of other projects cause I was in my shop.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483163092.522145.jpg

And finished......

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483165452.712103.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483165466.361155.jpg

I installed the jumper for single battery use.

In total about 6 hours but the includes stopping supper for about and hour and almost two hours pulling the wifi. So really only about 3 hours for total assembly.

Now time to test it.

Fun project. I really like building these things and never expected that aspect.

Chris, I've never meet you, but thank you for challenging me, encouraging me to learn a new skill and for making fun affordable kits.

HELP NEEDED!!!

It fires up, beeps as advertises, establishes a wifi network but I can't get the status page to open.

I am sending my browser to 192.168.4.1 but I get the message, server stoped responding. Same thing happens on both my iPad and iPhone.

I have addressed all of the items in troubleshooting from the users guide, and verify it talks to my Terminal App via the USB, I just can't get the status page to open.

I'm wondering if I screwed something up when I had to desolder it.

I have a message into Chris but being New Years Eve I may not hear from him for a few days.

Any suggestions.

Do you have a laptop or other computer with wifi? I think Apple devices will work, but I don't have any to try it with. If you have the serial cable, you can try updating the firmware. The web page is all about the WiFi module, and being able to connect tells me that's working.

Chris uses an iPhone, and the instructions show pictures of an iPhone, so I don't think it is an Apple issue.

Chris emailed me back with a few suggestions but so far none have worked.

I may try it just for grins....

Try dropping the wifi network then rejoin and re-enter the 8 digit passcode. Then go to your web browser. I use an iPhone and use Safari.

Try dropping the wifi network then rejoin and re-enter the 8 digit passcode. Then go to your web browser.

I know that when I connect via my Android the bottom of the connection screen is a link for the browser page that accesses the Quantum.

Dude, thank you, that worked........my laptop using I.E. opened it!

Thank you for encouraging me to try it.

Dude, thank you, that worked........my laptop using I.E. opened it!

Thank you for encouraging me to try it.

Now we just need to figure out why your iPhone doesn't work...

I know my Android device gets grumpy on WiFi without Internet access. Disabling the cellular radio fixes it. I don't actually think it's a real compatibility problem, just eliminating possibilities..

Ttabbal

You da man tonight.

I turned off my cellular data and it worked perfect.

Thank you!!!

Oddly enough I turned the cellular data back on and it still works.

Now both iPad and iPhone work, my iPad does not use cellular data so I'm not sure what's up with that. I cleared the website data and reloaded, worked perfect.

Good way to start the new year..

Oddly enough I turned the cellular data back on and it still works.

Now both iPad and iPhone work, my iPad does not use cellular data so I'm not sure what's up with that. I cleared the website data and reloaded, worked perfect.

Good way to start the new year..

Did you try the test mode ?

It rocks !

Kenny

A few more suggestions, use the "Privacy" mode in your browser when you connect, and NEVER use the Back button. Your browser cache can cause issues if the cached page has passed parameters, so it's better to use the links/buttons on the screens instead. Also, you might want to put shortcuts on your browser to the status page and the test page; you HAVE to enter the URL for the test page (192.168.4.1/test) because there is no link to it from the status page. That's intentional... we don't want you accidentally getting into test mode.

Chris,

Thanks again for the help, I really like building these projects.

Thanks for this. I soldered the WiFi module on my first Quantum this weekend. It took me forever to figure out that the resistors were only used as leads, not as resistors. Then I cut the leads too long, so I didn't have enough material for all eight positions. Luckily I had another unbuilt quantum, so I salvaged some more "leads" from it. I just ordered a cheap pack of resistors to use for the second build.

Cris's instructions and pics on his website are great, but this thread really helped too.

Back