I'm Quitting Smoking on January 1 - Anybody Wanna Join Me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
43 days. Just realized I haven't even thought about cigarettes in something like 5 days.

This could be the start of a new strategy: With each craving, you must first post and describe the sensation in detail. Hopefully by the time you're done, it'll have passed!

Sorry, guys, I've been absent from TRF for a few days.

So, the other day, I passed my 750th cigarette not smoked. I've also passed the $400 saved mark.

It has gotten much much easier. I still kind of want one. But I don't think about it all the time. It's mainly certain times - breaks at work (the worst. What do I do with my time??), when I've got dinner on the stove and I'm waiting for it to cook (which was one of my favorites of the day). Still, the bad part is over.

And last week I added beer to the list. I'm one of those guys who likes beer with every dinner, and it was getting out of hand. So, I decided to go 1990's Cookie Monster on this - beer is a sometimes food.

I'm taking time off from all alcohol until later this month. I imagine I'll go for a few beers with some folks I meet at NARCON. Till then, I'm having sparkling water with lemon juice in the evenings. I need something which isn't just water, but which doesn't have caffeine (I usually have to get up at 3:30 a.m. for work). Not too hard, unless I'm having something spicy for dinner.

And I just checked my app - just passed my 800th cigarette not smoked, and almost up to $425 saved.

55 days... 20% towards the M motor I want to fly

Weeeeeeeelllll, If you were a two pack a day Camel unfiltered man, you'd like have that M motor by now with the $1045.00 you saved by not smoking.
Last I looked at the Wal-Mart checkout line said cigarettes were $9.50 a pack. Now I know of a guy who smokes two packs a day of that brand and said
he was dropping his employers health insurance because "his" contribution to the premium (besides his employers share) was going to be $300.00 a month.
Hmmmmmm, if he'd quit he'd be saving $589.00/mo. be able to pay the $300.00 and have $289.00 leftover. Lemme tell you. Some peoples priorities are
really screwed up in this country. Lung cancer, stroke and heart disease are preventable if one does the right thing from the start. Kurt

Well, I passed 1,000 cigarettes not smoked today, well past $500 saved.

I had a great time at NARCON. Now, I'm still at the hotel, and I think I'm the only one left. Man, oh man, I really want a cigarette badly! I'm bored, and watching the Oscars isn't helping.

Still, I could easily get some at the 7/11 across the street. But I'm not gonna do it.

NARCON was really inspiring, BTW. I'm feeling the urge to get back to building and writing.

Also, there was a Black Brant V parked outside all weekend. Amazing to see up close.

DSCN3876.jpg

Weeeeeeeelllll, If you were a two pack a day Camel unfiltered man, you'd like have that M motor by now with the $1045.00 you saved by not smoking.
Last I looked at the Wal-Mart checkout line said cigarettes were $9.50 a pack. Now I know of a guy who smokes two packs a day of that brand and said
he was dropping his employers health insurance because "his" contribution to the premium (besides his employers share) was going to be $300.00 a month.
Hmmmmmm, if he'd quit he'd be saving $589.00/mo. be able to pay the $300.00 and have $289.00 leftover. Lemme tell you. Some peoples priorities are
really screwed up in this country. Lung cancer, stroke and heart disease are preventable if one does the right thing from the start. Kurt

My uncle smoked unfiltered Camels until the day he died...of his second heart attack...aged 59.

My uncle smoked unfiltered Camels until the day he died...of his second heart attack...aged 59.

My Uncle died at 42 of his 2nd heart attack. I don't know how many packs he smoked a day, but they were non filtered Paul Mauls.
He also drank coffee and Pepsi. His last 24 months were filled with health issues including ulcers.
He was also a Korean War Vet.

Been a while, so I figured I should check in.

Still no relapses. A couple days ago, I passed a mile marker - by this time, this year, if I'd still smoked, I'd have inhaled an entire gram of nicotine!

I've saved nearly $1000. I'll officially hit that mark in somewhere around a week, I think.

Incidentally, if anybody's having any problems with weight gain, I've started using a calorie counting app I love. It's called MyFitnessPal, and it gets results. I've lost nearly ten pounds with little effort other than logging what I eat (and when I walk to work), and trying to stay below target.

Smoking App 01.jpg

Been a while, so I figured I should check in.

Still no relapses. A couple days ago, I passed a mile marker - by this time, this year, if I'd still smoked, I'd have inhaled an entire gram of nicotine!

I've saved nearly $1000. I'll officially hit that mark in somewhere around a week, I think.

Incidentally, if anybody's having any problems with weight gain, I've started using a calorie counting app I love. It's called MyFitnessPal, and it gets results. I've lost nearly ten pounds with little effort other than logging what I eat (and when I walk to work), and trying to stay below target.

View attachment 316852

That's great news!! I'm right there with ya.

Attachments

• 1491792021820.jpg
    1491792021820.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 65
I got sick and needed emergency surgery last November. I just took advantage of those first four days at that hospital where you cannot smoke anywhere on the property at all. The only time it bit was when some well meaning volunteer came into my room to give me a stop smoking pamphlet. They transferred me to a long term care facility that did have a smoking area. But by then I was determined to keep it up. I'm happy to spend that money on other things. I have been walking and exercising and even switched to a standing workstation instead of sitting for 10-12 hours a day. I just turned 56 and was smoking since I was 18 and I enjoyed it. I have quit a couple of times before, for as long as two years. I can assure you that if you rationalize that you can have just one, you will be a smoker again. Yes there are time where the urge will bother you for a bit, but push through. Best wishes and good luck!

I passed $1000 in savings today. Since the first of January.

I don't make a ton of money. I don't know how I spent all that on cigarettes.

I passed $1000 in savings today. Since the first of January.

I don't make a ton of money. I don't know how I spent all that on cigarettes.

Congratulations! I make a lot more now than when I was a smoker, and I've wondered the same thing! I guess that's how addiction works though.

Congratulations! I make a lot more now than when I was a smoker, and I've wondered the same thing! I guess that's how addiction works though.

Thing is, I really don't make a lot of money in my current job, but since quitting, I feel like I'm rolling in dough. I'm really not, but I have a little to spare - which is new for me. But quitting smoking has made me feel like a rich guy.

Thing is, I really don't make a lot of money in my current job, but since quitting, I feel like I'm rolling in dough. I'm really not, but I have a little to spare - which is new for me. But quitting smoking has made me feel like a rich guy.

And you'll be healthier and able to enjoy spending that money! Great job!

Steve Shannon

And you'll be healthier and able to enjoy spending that money!

So you can buy bigger motors for your rockets, and since you're more healthy, be able to walk farther to get those rockets.

That's how this all works, right? :)

Wow,, that's great Eric,,
and all that have kept it up...
Never forget,,,
Don't let your guard down....

Teddy

Back