I'm Quitting Smoking on January 1 - Anybody Wanna Join Me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo! Woohoo!

Anybody rediscover a favorite food yet? Some of my local exmok friends tell me they get strong memories coming back from presmok days.

I am way ahead, quit in '79, cold turkey. Tried other ways and none worked. Dreamed about smoking off and on for a year or two, then that stopped. Best thing I ever did.

Last edited:
Really want a cigarette tonight. I don't have any, and not going to have one. But I want one.

$256 saved so far, not counting the additional $3 per pack I usually paid for sodas. By my calculation, that's around $328 saved since the 1st.

Oh, I have gained a little weight. I decided not to quit the beer and cigarettes simultaneously. And I'm a good cook. My winter food goes best with beer, and I usually have seconds, so I look like I'm about 6 months pregnant.

Other than that, I want a cigarette tonight, but I don't have any, and I'm not going out to get any. Already treated myself to a Mega Der Red Max and some motors. Probably replace my lost Chute Release with my next paycheck, and still be ahead.

::End Report::

Really want a cigarette tonight. I don't have any, and not going to have one. But I want one.

$256 saved so far, not counting the additional $3 per pack I usually paid for sodas. By my calculation, that's around $328 saved since the 1st.

Oh, I have gained a little weight. I decided not to quit the beer and cigarettes simultaneously. And I'm a good cook. My winter food goes best with beer, and I usually have seconds, so I look like I'm about 6 months pregnant.

Other than that, I want a cigarette tonight, but I don't have any, and I'm not going out to get any. Already treated myself to a Mega Der Red Max and some motors. Probably replace my lost Chute Release with my next paycheck, and still be ahead.

Dude... Right there with ya.
Had a craving. Looked at my app and shared my success with my wife. Made it five minutes. Then another five minutes. Then another. Then I was distracted by something else and forgot I was craving.

1485577578158.jpg

Sometimes "one day at a time" is really five minutes at a time. You're doing great. I wish I knew what to say to help you all get through those five minute tests. I think you nailed it when you "got distracted and forgot the craving." If you could just have a ready set of distractions for when the cravings return.
I know from my father and mother that even after many years it's possible to have a relapse. For my mother, she had quit for over a decade. Then, one night after a few drinks with a friend they said to each other "let's just have one; it'll be funny!" She did not stop at one and ended up having to go through quitting all over again.

Steve Shannon

I always recommend to quit one vice at a time. The beer, cut back if you can but not necessarily quit if it's not a problem situation. If you eventually quit the beer, weight loss will be easier to get rid of the beer belly. Get rid of the smoking
first as it has the most deleterious effect on health. Alcohol in moderation of course has some benefit but not if it leads to alcoholism. If that is a problem in ones family, it might be best to forego alcohol all together as a genetic predisposition
could lead to trouble. Kurt

Last night I dreamt of smoking a pipe or cigar or something. It was really nice.

Today, I'd really love a cigarette. Actually, I'd love to roll one of my own with the high quality Amsterdam Shag tobacco I started with.

But I keep telling myself "If I have one, I'll have a thousand," because that's how it works. My rational mind is fighting with my lizard brain which "just wants one."

I'm sure I can hold out till this craving passes, but it kind of sucks wanting something and also wanting to not want that thing.

Oh, my app says I've unlocked the 30 days of no smoking achievement, and tomorrow I'll have added a Jolly Logic Chute Release to my earned items. $291.58 saved and 550 cigarettes not smoked so far.

Last night I dreamt of smoking a pipe or cigar or something. It was really nice.

Today, I'd really love a cigarette. Actually, I'd love to roll one of my own with the high quality Amsterdam Shag tobacco I started with.

But I keep telling myself "If I have one, I'll have a thousand," because that's how it works. My rational mind is fighting with my lizard brain which "just wants one."

I'm sure I can hold out till this craving passes, but it kind of sucks wanting something and also wanting to not want that thing.

Oh, my app says I've unlocked the 30 days of no smoking achievement, and tomorrow I'll have added a Jolly Logic Chute Release to my earned items. $291.58 saved and 550 cigarettes not smoked so far.

Hang in there. Realize that what you're missing out on isn't really wonderful.
I find that inversion of thinking to be helpful...
I'm not missing out on smoking, I'm gaining free time, my sense of smell and taste, etc.
I'm not missing out on smoking, I'm missing out on waking up with that dry cotton mouth. I'm missing out on the constant freakout about not having enough cigarettes to last the event. I'm missing out on that constant worry about whether or not it's okay to smoke. Etc etc etc...

When I hold onto the craving and force myself to reason with it, the choice is obvious and the craving fades quickly.
Just what I do for me, maybe it'll help you or others.
Thanks again for the thread and the continued updating. It's helping me to stay the course.
With very little sleep last night, I really wanted to hit the gas station on the way in to work. Instead, I stopped at the grocery store and picked up some trail mix.

You guy's are all doing fantastic...
Good,, no ,, great for you..
Do not give..
You are all non smokers now,,
the only thing that'll change that is your own conscious choice..
Keep in mind,,
this is one of the top most important things you'll ever do for your self in your entire life..
You will remember this for the rest of your life..
This is it,, you've done it,, each and every day,, the worst is behind you..
Each and every day gets a tiny bit easier...
Don't ever give..

Teddy

You guy's are all doing fantastic...
Good,, no ,, great for you..
Do not give..
You are all non smokers now,,
the only thing that'll change that is your own conscious choice..
Keep in mind,,
this is one of the top most important things you'll ever do for your self in your entire life..
You will remember this for the rest of your life..
This is it,, you've done it,, each and every day,, the worst is behind you..
Each and every day gets a tiny bit easier...
Don't ever give..

Teddy

Well said.

Steve Shannon

Well said.

Steve Shannon

Thank you Steve,,
I forgot one thing,,
Please don't ever forget this,,
it's the single most important thing..

Don't ever let your guard down...
As time goes by you'll become more and more confident that you've successfully quit..
You must stay vigilant at keeping your guard up..
It's when you're totally confident that it's over is when the thought
of just that no big deal one will start to sneak into your head....
It could be months from now,, it could be a year or two or more..
If your not aware that this will happen you'll be far more likely to let this thought get a foothold in your mind...
Don't ever,, forever let your guard down....

Teddy

Thank you Steve,,
I forgot one thing,,
Please don't ever forget this,,
it's the single most important thing..

Don't ever let your guard down...
As time goes by you'll become more and more confident that you've successfully quit..
You must stay vigilant at keeping your guard up..
It's when you're totally confident that it's over is when the thought
of just that no big deal one will start to sneak into your head....
It could be months from now,, it could be a year or two or more..
If your not aware that this will happen you'll be far more likely to let this thought get a foothold in your mind...
Don't ever,, forever let your guard down....

Teddy

And that just smoke one will be a pack before the days over! Remember always you are an addict and to never light that just one. Gave them up over 20yrs. ago after several attempts and just ones.

And that just smoke one will be a pack before the days over! Remember always you are an addict and to never light that just one. Gave them up over 20yrs. ago after several attempts and just ones.

Yes Dennis,,
Big,,
This is what I was trying to say..
I don't want you guy's to think that it'll be like it is now for the rest of your lives,,
it wont..
It will be vastly easier as big / long time goes by..
But for the moment,,
be aware and don't let your guard down...

Teddy

My dad quit smoking right after I was born, so I don't remember him smoking at all.

One day in my teens, he came home from work and said "I've had the strongest urge for a cigarette today." It turns out, during a meeting, a couple of people were smoking and all of a sudden out of nowhere, BAM, an urge came back. He didn't act on it, and I don't remember him ever saying anything again like that, so it shows that given the right environmental cues or whatever, you can be triggered.

So, just always be aware, and have a plan for something to do to take your mind off of cigarettes, esp. now that you are only a month out. The urges should decrease over time, both in number and intensity, but may never go away.

So glad for you all.
I can t put in to words how glad and proud I am for not smoking and to be FREE of the grip!
Also proud of yous!
Anywhoo-- keep it up.

My dad quit smoking right after I was born, so I don't remember him smoking at all.

One day in my teens, he came home from work and said "I've had the strongest urge for a cigarette today." It turns out, during a meeting, a couple of people were smoking and all of a sudden out of nowhere, BAM, an urge came back. He didn't act on it, and I don't remember him ever saying anything again like that, so it shows that given the right environmental cues or whatever, you can be triggered.

So, just always be aware, and have a plan for something to do to take your mind off of cigarettes, esp. now that you are only a month out. The urges should decrease over time, both in number and intensity, but may never go away.

My grandfather smokes, but while he was visiting the US, he quit cold turkey. He said that the urge came from being around and seeing others smoke (in China) more than anything and as such, that he didn't feel it here though I'm not sure if he was downplaying the feeling if it was stronger than he made it to be. Unfortunately, after he returned to China, he started smoking again.

Woo! Woohoo!

Anybody rediscover a favorite food yet? Some of my local exmok friends tell me they get strong memories coming back from presmok days.

About a year after getting away from all Tobacco Products, I regained my senses fully.
Holy crap how debilitating the effects are! I'm glad I only used them in my early twenties, but man, all the damage I inflicted...
Thank goodness I wised up to the real deal, and avoid the stuff with a passion.
I'm in great shape now, and have an addiction to healthy things like food and fitness.

So, I actually talked about this at length on the latest edition of The Rocketry Show podcast (click here).

As you might be able to tell from the show, I wasn't expecting to talk about this. CG kind of sprung it on me. I haven't talked about it on my rocketry blog, and wasn't planning on bringing it up on the show, but I could have said no, and we would have edited it out. Instead, I thought, let's just be public about it. Might as well. It did me some good to talk about it at length (instead of just writing about it), and while I would have found it shameful to admit to being a smoker in some circles, I don't find it shameful to admit to having quit smoking. Some people, when they find out you smoke, are disappointed. But if they find out that you were a smoker, but that you just quit, they're very supportive.

So, while I'd never have mentioned trying to hide to find a place to smoke while at a launch to keep myself out of view of kids if I were still smoking, I had no problem mentioning that I quit, and that one of the reasons I was glad to have done so is that I didn't want kids to see me smoking, so I would try to hide or at least be far out in the field when smoking so that kids couldn't tell.

Also, we talked about rockets.

Man, its really great to read through your updates.
Der Red Max, a new Chute release,,.. the bonuses you're getting your hands on in addition to the health benefits are terrific.

Has there been any improvement of the fogginess, or lethargy?

Also just watched the slow-mo launch compilation. That music and the slow takeoffs were really peaceful to watch. Just kind of sat there enjoying it.

Man, its really great to read through your updates.
Der Red Max, a new Chute release,,.. the bonuses you're getting your hands on in addition to the health benefits are terrific.

Has there been any improvement of the fogginess, or lethargy?

Also just watched the slow-mo launch compilation. That music and the slow takeoffs were really peaceful to watch. Just kind of sat there enjoying it.

Yes! The fogginess is pretty much gone, except for in moments. It lasts about 2-3 weeks, but it passes. Then there's the antsiness of the moments (breaks at work, what have you) when you'd normally take a few minutes for yourself and have a cigarette. I'd often go outside, look up at the blue sky, see what phase the moon was in (if it was visible in the daylight in the crevice between the apartment buildings), and have a cigarette, which would perk me up.

I do still go outside for a minute or two, but there feels like there's less point. Nonetheless, I still have not caved in to the very strong desire for a cigarette. I am a weak-willed person. This gives me hope that quitting smoking might be easier for people of stronger wills. If I can do it, with my weak will and strong pull to satisfy my cravings, y'all can do it too. Keep an eye on how much money you're not spending, and if you get bored, go to bed. More time for dreaming!

I've not been rocket building much the last couple of months, except the last week. Getting engrossed in something (i.e., building a sweet rocket) also helps distract the mind from the fact that you're not sucking on tobacco.

The cravings have not left. I want one right now, really badly. I have no idea how I'm holding out. I am not a strong person with regard to cravings. I nearly went broke in college because I couldn't stop ordering pizza, for crying out loud. But I guess I've decided. And I've told a large number of people about this. I think putting myself up for public shame should I fail has helped me.

One advantage of our patrons on Patreon supporting The Rocketry Show is that I now have a decent mic at home, and am planning on starting a podcast on quitting smoking. As soon as I get myself a mixer, I plan on starting.

GAAAH... I wanna smoke. Don't have any, not going to go get any. Want one, but it will pass. Eventually, I'll go to bed. One day (5 minutes) at a time.

You mentioned not having great willpower. I read something recently about that, and the basic idea was that NO ONE really has great willpower, not even the people who seem very good at resisting temptation. According to the research, the people who are good at sticking to a task that has them depriving themselves (like dieting) actually do not feel the same temptations as those who fail. It's not that they resist temptation --- they just don't experience the same temptation.

Their conclusion was that the best strategy was not to count on resisting temptations, but to structure things so that you don't have as many temptations --- get rid of your cigarettes, don't be around smokers, basically eliminate opportunities and triggers, and provide alternative outlets. A smoker who fails at quitting is not a sign of the moral failing of a weak-willed person --- it's the logical conclusion of putting a cigarette in front of a person craving a smoke.

I told a friend about it, and he said it sounded like the Principle of the Six P's: Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Of course, there is some willpower required to get through the moments of temptation that you can't control, but the more you can eliminate your opportunities to smoke, the less you need to count on willpower.

43 days. Just realized I haven't even thought about cigarettes in something like 5 days.

Back