I'm Quitting Smoking on January 1 - Anybody Wanna Join Me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone painted one up to look like a joint... A la "Up In Smoke"...

Hey, that's a great decision!

I used to run some stop smoking groups...the basic idea was to address and approach the physiological addiction and psychological addiction separately. See this link:
https://www.quitsmart.com

My top advice is: Don't get discouraged. Find something to do to occupy your time when you get a craving (maybe build a rocket?), so you can endure those 20 or so minutes when you get an "urge."

Also remember, just because you may have a "lapse" doesn't mean you have to "re-lapse." Most smokers have to try a bunch of times before they finally quit, but, each try gives them new knowledge about how to better try again the next time.

Good luck!

+1...
Don't give up no matter what...
You guy's should all already consider yourselves non smokers...
That will help with a wonderful, positive thought...
The only way that is not true is by your choice...
Don't give up no matter what...
I was a diehard smoker for many years,, the last that you'd think could quit...
If I did it,, all of you can too...

Teddy

I'll give it a go...... after 30yrs.,actually didn't start smoking till I was 28, working in saloons.

Actually quit 6 weeks ago in prep for day 1 of 2017. Figured I needed some practice. LOl

Made it 3 weeks, slipped for a pack and 4 days. Have not had one in 3.6 weeks....think I can make it now.

No more craving, only the habit of desire after a meal, otherwise I'm good............so far......we shall see!

I had to quit .....or die. Couldn't make it up a flight of stairs without stopping and gasping for air.

Daniel, I wish you all the strength you can muster in quitting cigarettes. I quit cold turkey in 1997 after 37 years and many failed attempts. Had I quit sooner, I might not have developed the bladder tumors that have plagued me since they were first detected in 2008. Good on you, RocketN00b! Live longer and prosper!

Thanks, Ted!

I'll give it a go...... after 30yrs.,actually didn't start smoking till I was 28, working in saloons.

Actually quit 6 weeks ago in prep for day 1 of 2017. Figured I needed some practice. LOl

Made it 3 weeks, slipped for a pack and 4 days. Have not had one in 3.6 weeks....think I can make it now.

No more craving, only the habit of desire after a meal, otherwise I'm good............so far......we shall see!

I had to quit .....or die. Couldn't make it up a flight of stairs without stopping and gasping for air.

Wow,, that's fantastic Jim..
Man am I happy to hear you're going to quit..
Good for you man...
You already made it to the halfway point...
I remember I was taught that 6 weeks is a critical point...
But no matter what,,,
Never let your guard down.....
I'm rootin for all of you guy's...

Teddy

Ok... Just smoked the last one in that pack. No point in buying another one. According to the app, I've got a lot more days smoke free to afford the M2000...

I wish I could quit smoking and afford an M2000. Maybe I should take up smoking, then quit, and then buy the M2000. That's how this works, right?

Seriously though- best of luck to all of you that are quitting. My wife had an aunt die of lung cancer due to smoking a few years ago, and it was an ugly, unpleasant way to go.

That's great! You didn't say, but, can you make it up the stairs better now? Most people I worked with were able to see improvements soon after quitting...

Yes, but still feel the effects of smoking 30 some years. I'm thinking after a few months, I may feel human again.

Actually been walking up to our park ,and around it as weather permits. That has helped immensely.
Hoping this will make for being able to do rocket recovery again, this season.
Last year I was a mess.

one thing I noticed was the decline of wrinkles on my face.

Yes, but still feel the effects of smoking 30 some years. I'm thinking after a few months, I may feel human again.

Actually been walking up to our park ,and around it as weather permits. That has helped immensely.
Last year I was a mess.

That's wonderful to hear! Yes, you can't just unroll the effects of decades of smoking, *but* most of the people I worked with noticed real, positive changes rapidly after quitting.

It's good to focus on positive things, to help fight any cravings, and remind yourself just why the #$%* you are doing this :)

Last year I was a mess.

Jim,
Good for you! That's a great accomplishment. Here's a link that explains how the body recovers:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/240258-can-your-lungs-recover-from-smoking/

Steve Shannon

Last year I was a mess.

Great decision, CJ! Wayne and I have worried about you. I had an uncle die from emphysema and it was a long, cruel, agonizingly tortured death.

Going out to smoke my last one, then throw the last 17 away, along with my lighters.

Happy New Year!

Well, the first few hours of Day 1 (yesterday) weren't that bad. Then a cloud settled on my brain. "Ah, there it is," I thought.

Worked all day then came home, crossing the street before passing by my usual store. Felt really tired, which is normal. I tend to stay up late but have to work early.

Took a 2-hour nap, and had a hard time getting up. Side note: I'm also having some allergy thing which is making my skin itchy, and am taking Benadryl to try to reduce the itching. So, whether it was the Benadryl or the non-smoking, I went back to bed at 6pm with no dinner, and slept all night.

Got up at 3:15 (I normally set my Monday alarm for 3:30, get up at 3:45). Actually had time to shower and eat breakfast, before work. I work at 4:30 a.m. on Mondays. Usually smoke one on the way there, get there 10 minutes early and smoke another (I walk, and it's nearly 20 minutes).

This morning, I felt the pull of gravity towards my usual store, but made it past without buying. Got to work a full 20 minutes early and didnt' knwo what to do with myself.

("m a bit out of it, so from herer on, I'm not going to correct my typos. Sorry)

Was mostly OK for the first few hours, then got a seriously heavy feeling in the head, and my muscles tensed up. Oh, god, this is what they were talking about, I thought.

The day pretty much sucked, and I knew I could make it all better if I just went around teh corner and bought a pack. I knew that if I did that, however, I'd either give up, or I'd have to go through this again in a few days.

Had to stay late, as it was really busy and I was kind of losing my marbles. Wont' say where I work, but we serve coffee, and you've definitely heard of us, and it gets really, really busy. Managed not to lose my s#!% at anybody, made it home, slept for two hours, took a shower, and feel kind of OK, though I really want a cigarette.

I hear Day 3 is worse. Just gotta get through this. It's not the worst thing anyone's been through. But I would like it to stop soon.

OK, thgat's my update. Stay strong, guys.

Well, the first few hours of Day 1 (yesterday) weren't that bad. Then a cloud settled on my brain. "Ah, there it is," I thought.

Worked all day then came home, crossing the street before passing by my usual store. Felt really tired, which is normal. I tend to stay up late but have to work early.

Took a 2-hour nap, and had a hard time getting up. Side note: I'm also having some allergy thing which is making my skin itchy, and am taking Benadryl to try to reduce the itching. So, whether it was the Benadryl or the non-smoking, I went back to bed at 6pm with no dinner, and slept all night.

Got up at 3:15 (I normally set my Monday alarm for 3:30, get up at 3:45). Actually had time to shower and eat breakfast, before work. I work at 4:30 a.m. on Mondays. Usually smoke one on the way there, get there 10 minutes early and smoke another (I walk, and it's nearly 20 minutes).

This morning, I felt the pull of gravity towards my usual store, but made it past without buying. Got to work a full 20 minutes early and didnt' knwo what to do with myself.

("m a bit out of it, so from herer on, I'm not going to correct my typos. Sorry)

Was mostly OK for the first few hours, then got a seriously heavy feeling in the head, and my muscles tensed up. Oh, god, this is what they were talking about, I thought.

The day pretty much sucked, and I knew I could make it all better if I just went around teh corner and bought a pack. I knew that if I did that, however, I'd either give up, or I'd have to go through this again in a few days.

Had to stay late, as it was really busy and I was kind of losing my marbles. Wont' say where I work, but we serve coffee, and you've definitely heard of us, and it gets really, really busy. Managed not to lose my s#!% at anybody, made it home, slept for two hours, took a shower, and feel kind of OK, though I really want a cigarette.

I hear Day 3 is worse. Just gotta get through this. It's not the worst thing anyone's been through. But I would like it to stop soon.

Wow! I'd say you did great.

Your bloodpressure, heartrate, circulation, oxygen, and carbon monoxide levels have already improved!

You got this!

Good job!

Maybe if you got some mints, gum, hard candy, etc. you could distract yourself when you don't have anything to do, especially at work.

Day 2 is the worst, physically. Day 3 is the worst, mentally. I've done this a few times... But I'm right there with ya so far... I kept myself busy by taking the family to the Adler planetarium. We got memberships as a Christmas present. Did fine all day cause I was too busy to really notice... But... Now that I'm sitting down and relaxing... That tightness my chest is kicking in... Just for right now, I'm not gonna smoke. I can make it through tonight... I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow

Stay strong guys! I was lucky and had a relatively easy time quitting after 7 years. You will feel so much better and never look back just a few short days from now!

No, but thanks for the invite. I quit cold turkey long ago. Stick with it. Best decision you'll make for the rest of your life. Hang in.

Just want to encourage you guys for sharing your experience and letting the rocket community boost you along as it can.

To throw some values in here: if this is day three, and if you were a pack a day previously, and a pack costs ~10.50 in your area, You've almost bought yourself a bonus H reload! (couple more days and Hazmat's free too!)

Last year I was a mess.

Good for you Jim. Like Sharon and Wayne, I worried about you after seeing you at Airfest last year. You will stat to notice other changes like better taste buds and smells and the best part is your breathing will get so much better. I don't wake up hacking anymore. Two yrs later and I still get a wiff of one and think mmm that smells good. Hang in there, you can do it.

Problem with smoking is it destroys lung tissue 3 times faster than non-smokers! That tissue "ain't" coming back either! When it's gone, it's gone. Just take a look at a CT scan of a smokers lungs. It's imperative to quit as soon as possible because one wants to count on having enough reserve to get through life without having to depend on all the overpriced COPD drugs advertised on TV now. I wished they would put in their stupid ads, "If you don't smoke, you won't need our overpriced drugs to breathe!"

The lung cancer risk drops but doesn't go to zero. Many an ex-smoker dies of other things besides lung cancer but late primary lung cancers can be found in folks who've been abstinent for 20 years or greater. Granted they're a small percentage thank
God but it does happen.

Bottom line is don't take up smoking or quit as soon as possible. Kurt

Last edited:
I've never taken it up, but have lost several relatives to it. I applaud all you guys for at least trying. I know from watching others, just how hard it can be.

But man, 2 weeks for a K motor? I wish I had something I could try to give up for that extra cash!

Stay strong, keep at it.
-Ken

I was a bit groggy last time, and I don't think I was too coherent. Before bed on the 31st, I took pictures and video of me throwing out/flushing all cigarettes and accoutrements, posting them to Instagram and Facebook for friends and family to witness.

Went to bed, hated life for two and a half days. Mostly went to work, struggled through it, and went to bed very, very early to get through the rough part.

Progress report: Much news!

Got past the part where I can't understand how anyone can get through a day in life without smoking, to the part where I'm just a bit snappy and would kind of like a cigarette, but can pass by the store without looking at it. It happened some time yesterday, where my mind sort of came out from under a cloud, and I felt less heavy and confused, and felt a little more awake and able to cope on my own with the workday.

One thing I didn't mention is that I usually bought Pepsi with cigarettes. Much as I loved smoking, I was also disgusted by it, so I frequently had soda with it to make it more palatable. That added lots of sugar to my diet, and about $3 to each pack (two 20 oz. bottles purchased at a time, consumed over the course of the day).

Also, though I like beer a lot, I decided I was having it too frequently, and should only have a little on Friday nights. I might even go all January without a drink, just to clean out the system, but at the very least, it's going to be a weekend night treat.

Cutting out the Pepsi and the beer have not been a problem at all, and while I would not consider this "dieting" (someone suggested I not try to go on a diet while quitting smoking - not sure why, I never said anything about my waistline), it has cut a lot of junk calories from my diet, and the deletion of beer from my regular diet has also cut a further $5 a day from my spending. Since I knew I would also be doing this, just out of curiosity, I weighed in on Sunday morning.

So, while the app I'm using says I've saved about $36 so far since quitting smoking on Sunday, you can add about $24 to that for Pepsi and beer, making a total savings of $60 this week.

Also, I've lost four pounds in three days.

Back