Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.


Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610

    Help a flatlander Go West

    OK, this is like asking which ice cream is best. I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west. Time frame is Jun-Aug 2017.

    Things I like: ~15k AGL waiver, nearby mountains for day trip hiking, ~1 hour drive to civilization and amenities to keep the Mrs. happy (not camping).

    Yes, I know about Black Rock, but I am thinking something a little less intense. Something about launching in the high plains really appeals to me, so my short list includes NCR (Pawnee Grasslands) or Oregon Rocketry (Brothers). UROC Hellfire is also a possibility, to experience the Salt Flats.

    Comments welcome. Thanks!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    OK, this is like asking which ice cream is best. I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west. Time frame is Jun-Aug 2017.

    Things I like: ~15k AGL waiver, nearby mountains for day trip hiking, ~1 hour drive to civilization and amenities to keep the Mrs. happy (not camping).

    Yes, I know about Black Rock, but I am thinking something a little less intense. Something about launching in the high plains really appeals to me, so my short list includes NCR (Pawnee Grasslands) or Oregon Rocketry (Brothers). UROC Hellfire is also a possibility, to experience the Salt Flats.

    Comments welcome. Thanks!
    Our launch site in Montana is a couple hours from Yellowstone National Park, within half an hour of three different fly fishing streams, has a 52,000 MSL waiver (if you plan to come notify me in advance what altitude you truly need because I usually just request 25,000 MSL), and is very relaxed.
    www.bigskyrocketry.org



    Steve Shannon

    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  3. #3
    Join Date
    27th March 2013
    Location
    Has Changed
    Posts
    9,395
    While I never launched with OROC at Brothers, I did at Sheridan. Had a Blast! Good people!
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).


    NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

  4. #4
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    Our launch site in Montana is a couple hours from Yellowstone National Park, within half an hour of three different fly fishing streams, has a 52,000 MSL waiver (if you plan to come notify me in advance what altitude you truly need because I usually just request 25,000 MSL), and is very relaxed.
    www.bigskyrocketry.org



    Steve Shannon
    Awesome! Yeah, I guess I can settle for a mere 25k MSL.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    20th February 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    666
    We'd love to see you at Hellfire XXII! We'll hopefully be posting dates in January when we set our 2017 launch schedule. I'd also love to road-trip to some of the surrounding states to fly with them - you've got me thinking. Probably need to wait until I 1) have rockets that can actually fly that high and 2) get the whole tracking thing sorted out. Last Hellfire was my first DD flight, so still on the learning curve. Aiming for 20'000 with a MD 38mm this year!

    Hellfire usually has a 10,000' AGL standing waiver, with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. Flying on the salt is definitely something worth experiencing! The amenities of Wendover/West Wendover are a bit limited, however. I think the primary purpose of West Wendover is to to provide gambling for those of us living in Northern Utah.

    www.uroc.org

    Hmm - looks like BSRA is about 5-1/2 hours north... Hmmm.... Wonder if I could organize a club road trip...
    Last edited by 75Grandville; 30th December 2016 at 05:27 PM.
    Bill

    NAR #97213, L2
    Just a member of UROC
    Former member of NARHAMS and NOVAAR

  6. #6
    Join Date
    11th January 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of VA
    Posts
    1,543
    Farther west, Tripoli Central California is the 3rd Saturday of each month. Use google maps to locate Helm, CA, and you will see where it it. Harris Ranch Inn is about a 20 minute drive, with nice accommodations, great pool, fantastic restaurant, etc. My wife enjoys Harris Ranch while I throw money into the sky. Waiver is usually 16k.

    Tccrockets.com

    -Bill Riley

    TRA: 12294
    NAR: 89196

    A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode.
    Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Grandville View Post
    We'd love to see you at Hellfire XXII! We'll hopefully be posting dates in January when we set our 2017 launch schedule. I'd also love to road-trip to some of the surrounding states to fly with them - you've got me thinking. Probably need to wait until I 1) have rockets that can actually fly that high and 2) get the whole tracking thing sorted out. Last Hellfire was my first DD flight, so still on the learning curve. Aiming for 20'000 with a MD 38mm this year!

    Hellfire usually has a 10,000' AGL standing waiver, with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. Flying on the salt is definitely something worth experiencing! The amenities of Wendover/West Wendover are a bit limited, however. I think the primary purpose of West Wendover is to to provide gambling for those of us living in Northern Utah.

    www.uroc.org

    Hmm - looks like BSRA is about 5-1/2 hours north... Hmmm.... Wonder if I could organize a club road trip...
    You're always welcome. I certified L1 at Hellfire 6 in 2000. It's only fair that you enjoy some of our hospitality!
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  8. #8
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Grandville View Post
    We'd love to see you at Hellfire XXII! We'll hopefully be posting dates in January when we set our 2017 launch schedule. I'd also love to road-trip to some of the surrounding states to fly with them - you've got me thinking. Probably need to wait until I 1) have rockets that can actually fly that high and 2) get the whole tracking thing sorted out. Last Hellfire was my first DD flight, so still on the learning curve. Aiming for 20'000 with a MD 38mm this year!

    Hellfire usually has a 10,000' AGL standing waiver, with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. Flying on the salt is definitely something worth experiencing! The amenities of Wendover/West Wendover are a bit limited, however. I think the primary purpose of West Wendover is to to provide gambling for those of us living in Northern Utah.

    www.uroc.org

    Hmm - looks like BSRA is about 5-1/2 hours north... Hmmm.... Wonder if I could organize a club road trip...
    Cool, thanks. SLC is really not that far either.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    27th July 2014
    Location
    south beloit, IL
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west.
    NAR# 99285
    Tripoli# 16283
    L1- 4/26/2015 Madcow Cowabunga- H123SK
    L2- 11/1/2015 Wildman Darkstar 2.6- J355RL
    L3- 11/3/2017 Wildman V2 6" - M1780NT
    Woosh
    QCRS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Posts
    935
    Hardly anyone dies of dysentery at Hellfire.. Dehydration maybe...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    Hehe. I just played the board game version of Oregon Trail a couple days ago. I died crossing the river.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    27th July 2014
    Location
    south beloit, IL
    Posts
    2,178
    Maybe that was an omen.. don't cross the Mississippi River!
    NAR# 99285
    Tripoli# 16283
    L1- 4/26/2015 Madcow Cowabunga- H123SK
    L2- 11/1/2015 Wildman Darkstar 2.6- J355RL
    L3- 11/3/2017 Wildman V2 6" - M1780NT
    Woosh
    QCRS

  13. #13
    Join Date
    18th March 2012
    Location
    Oregon City. OR
    Posts
    2,524
    Oregon Rocketry, High Desert, History Trails, Prehistoric Rivers, Lava Flows, Sage Brush, Horned Toads that dont let go, 20K with call in to 40K, and NXRS (mini Balls), hardly any dysentery.
    http://www.oregonrocketry.com/

    Proposed OROC 2017 schedule
    Spring Thunder May 19-21
    NXRS June 23-25
    Summer Skies July 28-30
    Desert Heat Aug 25-28
    Fillible's Folly Sept 15-17 or Sept 22-24, depending on weather and XPRS/BALLS
    Rocketober Oct 20-22
    Rob Appleton
    "That Crazy Brit"

    - - -
    Team Numb
    -exploring the possibilities-
    L3 - TRA 13815 - NAR 87999

  14. #14
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvage-1 View Post
    Oregon Rocketry, High Desert, History Trails, Prehistoric Rivers, Lava Flows, Sage Brush, Horned Toads that dont let go, 20K with call in to 40K, and NXRS (mini Balls), hardly any dysentery.
    Sounds great! What's not to love?

    The hardest part about Oregon Rocketry is the additional 1.5 day drive and the fact that I would be essentially driving right past the other locations (NCR, UROC) on my list! Decisions, decisions....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    15th September 2009
    Location
    Silverton, Oregon
    Posts
    876
    The Brothers site is in the Oregon Badlands, a huge expanse of pumice soil and sagebrush. It is really an amazing location. These are a few pictures from last year's NXRS:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196189.426106.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	308299

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196278.780885.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	308300

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196328.461087.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	308301

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196389.747214.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	308302

    As a bonus you could drive another four hours and dip your toes in the Pacific Ocean....

    Dan Feller
    Silver Crest Rocket Club

  16. #16
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Location
    Republic of Boulder
    Posts
    332
    I'll put in a plug/warning about NCR. Launch site is in the Pawnee National Grassland and is subject to Burn Bans and Fire Watch cancellations and other drought related difficulties. But when the cosmos collide for an event, one of the nicest places to launch. Standing 20K, call in to 35, nearest tree is way off in the distance. Mile High Mayhem, slated for early June is a probability if late Spring rains fall, High Skies in July also a good time. Oktoberfest is sketchy but too much depends on the prairie rainfall....Fort Collins and Cheyenne near by, Denver just down the road and there's always the Republic of Boulder to visit. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Hudson Ranch, home to SCORE, outside of Pueblo. Great folks and another awesome launch site, unless the wind is blowing towards the rocket eating canyons.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    27th December 2012
    Posts
    300
    Washington Aerospace Club holds a launch over Memorial Day weekend...Fire in the Sky (FITS). They have a 25K waiver.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    20th February 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    666
    There's always the NSL, in Almogordo NM. Don't think this was what you're looking for, but a cool option.
    Bill

    NAR #97213, L2
    Just a member of UROC
    Former member of NARHAMS and NOVAAR

  19. #19
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Grandville View Post
    There's always the NSL, in Almogordo NM. Don't think this was what you're looking for, but a cool option.
    Yeah. The NM, AZ, SoCal options may have to wait.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    17th December 2013
    Location
    Slagle, La
    Posts
    1,256
    Buckeye,
    Just outta curiosity where will you be coming from? Where are you located?
    I have nothing to add to the thread, just curious where you are. I have gone out West in quite some time, and never attended a launch out that way.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
    TRA #16513
    Level 1: Danger Close ---AT H123W to 1240'--- 29 OCT 2016
    Level 2: Binder Design Tyrannosaur ---AT J315R to 2148'--- 30 SEP 2017

  21. #21
    Join Date
    6th September 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    I am coming via I80, I90, or I94 through Chicago.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    19th January 2009
    Posts
    935
    I80 takes you right past the salt flats where Hellfire is held.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    17th November 2015
    Posts
    1,048
    You're welcome to come out to one of the San Luis Valley launches, just outside Alamosa, CO. We're a small casual club, and (based on my one launch there - we moved here over the summer) a good mix of LPR and HPR, a decent waiver, and (unless the wind is blowing) crystal-clear skies and plenty of room. Also launching at 7500 feet means that your first launch may very well be your highest-altitude flight ever. As long as you ignore that AGL bit. Civilization/amenities - Alamosa is all of 15 minutes away. If you're talking civilization/amenities like "There's a walmart, a handful of good restaurants, hotels, a university, and a small town", yes, we've got that. If you're talking civilization/amenities like "Which Vietnamese restaurant do you want to try tonight?" or "Let's take in an opera" or "I need to go to Lowe's/Target/a department store" .... that's more like 2 hours away in Pueblo.

    https://www.facebook.com/pg/San-Luis...491579/events/


Similar Threads

  1. West, TX
    By Spooks in forum The Watering Hole
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd May 2013, 01:01 PM
  2. Back At It In West OK.
    By boomtube in forum The Watering Hole
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st October 2011, 06:22 PM
  3. 1st Try with West Epoxy
    By jpummil in forum Techniques
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 7th October 2011, 12:06 AM
  4. West Texas Rocketry/Tripoli West Texas Launch July 7th and 8th
    By fyrechaser in forum Regional or Local Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th June 2007, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •