Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Help a flatlander Go West

OK, this is like asking which ice cream is best. I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west. Time frame is Jun-Aug 2017.

Things I like: ~15k AGL waiver, nearby mountains for day trip hiking, ~1 hour drive to civilization and amenities to keep the Mrs. happy (not camping).

Yes, I know about Black Rock, but I am thinking something a little less intense. Something about launching in the high plains really appeals to me, so my short list includes NCR (Pawnee Grasslands) or Oregon Rocketry (Brothers). UROC Hellfire is also a possibility, to experience the Salt Flats.

Comments welcome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    OK, this is like asking which ice cream is best. I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west. Time frame is Jun-Aug 2017.

Things I like: ~15k AGL waiver, nearby mountains for day trip hiking, ~1 hour drive to civilization and amenities to keep the Mrs. happy (not camping).

Yes, I know about Black Rock, but I am thinking something a little less intense. Something about launching in the high plains really appeals to me, so my short list includes NCR (Pawnee Grasslands) or Oregon Rocketry (Brothers). UROC Hellfire is also a possibility, to experience the Salt Flats.

Comments welcome. Thanks!
    Our launch site in Montana is a couple hours from Yellowstone National Park, within half an hour of three different fly fishing streams, has a 52,000 MSL waiver (if you plan to come notify me in advance what altitude you truly need because I usually just request 25,000 MSL), and is very relaxed.
    www.bigskyrocketry.org

Steve Shannon

Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

While I never launched with OROC at Brothers, I did at Sheridan. Had a Blast! Good people!
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    Our launch site in Montana is a couple hours from Yellowstone National Park, within half an hour of three different fly fishing streams, has a 52,000 MSL waiver (if you plan to come notify me in advance what altitude you truly need because I usually just request 25,000 MSL), and is very relaxed.
    www.bigskyrocketry.org

Steve Shannon
    Awesome! Yeah, I guess I can settle for a mere 25k MSL.

We'd love to see you at Hellfire XXII! We'll hopefully be posting dates in January when we set our 2017 launch schedule. I'd also love to road-trip to some of the surrounding states to fly with them - you've got me thinking. Probably need to wait until I 1) have rockets that can actually fly that high and 2) get the whole tracking thing sorted out. Last Hellfire was my first DD flight, so still on the learning curve. Aiming for 20'000 with a MD 38mm this year!

Hellfire usually has a 10,000' AGL standing waiver, with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. Flying on the salt is definitely something worth experiencing! The amenities of Wendover/West Wendover are a bit limited, however. I think the primary purpose of West Wendover is to to provide gambling for those of us living in Northern Utah.

www.uroc.org

Hmm - looks like BSRA is about 5-1/2 hours north... Hmmm.... Wonder if I could organize a club road trip...
    Last edited by 75Grandville; 30th December 2016 at 05:27 PM.
    Bill

NAR #97213, L2
    Just a member of UROC
    Former member of NARHAMS and NOVAAR

Farther west, Tripoli Central California is the 3rd Saturday of each month. Use google maps to locate Helm, CA, and you will see where it it. Harris Ranch Inn is about a 20 minute drive, with nice accommodations, great pool, fantastic restaurant, etc. My wife enjoys Harris Ranch while I throw money into the sky. Waiver is usually 16k.

Tccrockets.com

-Bill Riley

TRA: 12294
    NAR: 89196

A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode.
    Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Grandville View Post
    We'd love to see you at Hellfire XXII! We'll hopefully be posting dates in January when we set our 2017 launch schedule. I'd also love to road-trip to some of the surrounding states to fly with them - you've got me thinking. Probably need to wait until I 1) have rockets that can actually fly that high and 2) get the whole tracking thing sorted out. Last Hellfire was my first DD flight, so still on the learning curve. Aiming for 20'000 with a MD 38mm this year!

Hellfire usually has a 10,000' AGL standing waiver, with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. Flying on the salt is definitely something worth experiencing! The amenities of Wendover/West Wendover are a bit limited, however. I think the primary purpose of West Wendover is to to provide gambling for those of us living in Northern Utah.

www.uroc.org

Hmm - looks like BSRA is about 5-1/2 hours north... Hmmm.... Wonder if I could organize a club road trip...
    You're always welcome. I certified L1 at Hellfire 6 in 2000. It's only fair that you enjoy some of our hospitality!
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

www.uroc.org

Cool, thanks. SLC is really not that far either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I am looking to experience a Western rocketry launch and road trip. For me, that means Rocky Mountains and points west.
    NAR# 99285
    Tripoli# 16283
    L1- 4/26/2015 Madcow Cowabunga- H123SK
    L2- 11/1/2015 Wildman Darkstar 2.6- J355RL
    L3- 11/3/2017 Wildman V2 6" - M1780NT
    Woosh
    QCRS

Hardly anyone dies of dysentery at Hellfire.. Dehydration maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    Hehe. I just played the board game version of Oregon Trail a couple days ago. I died crossing the river.

Maybe that was an omen.. don't cross the Mississippi River!
    NAR# 99285
    Tripoli# 16283
    L1- 4/26/2015 Madcow Cowabunga- H123SK
    L2- 11/1/2015 Wildman Darkstar 2.6- J355RL
    L3- 11/3/2017 Wildman V2 6" - M1780NT
    Woosh
    QCRS

Oregon Rocketry, High Desert, History Trails, Prehistoric Rivers, Lava Flows, Sage Brush, Horned Toads that dont let go, 20K with call in to 40K, and NXRS (mini Balls), hardly any dysentery.
    http://www.oregonrocketry.com/

Proposed OROC 2017 schedule
    Spring Thunder May 19-21
    NXRS June 23-25
    Summer Skies July 28-30
    Desert Heat Aug 25-28
    Fillible's Folly Sept 15-17 or Sept 22-24, depending on weather and XPRS/BALLS
    Rocketober Oct 20-22
    Rob Appleton
    "That Crazy Brit"

- - -
    Team Numb
    -exploring the possibilities-
    L3 - TRA 13815 - NAR 87999

Quote Originally Posted by Salvage-1 View Post
    Oregon Rocketry, High Desert, History Trails, Prehistoric Rivers, Lava Flows, Sage Brush, Horned Toads that dont let go, 20K with call in to 40K, and NXRS (mini Balls), hardly any dysentery.
    Sounds great! What's not to love?

The hardest part about Oregon Rocketry is the additional 1.5 day drive and the fact that I would be essentially driving right past the other locations (NCR, UROC) on my list! Decisions, decisions....

The Brothers site is in the Oregon Badlands, a huge expanse of pumice soil and sagebrush. It is really an amazing location. These are a few pictures from last year's NXRS:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196189.426106.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	308299

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196278.780885.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	308300

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196328.461087.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	308301

Name:	ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483196389.747214.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	308302

As a bonus you could drive another four hours and dip your toes in the Pacific Ocean....

Dan Feller
    Silver Crest Rocket Club

I'll put in a plug/warning about NCR. Launch site is in the Pawnee National Grassland and is subject to Burn Bans and Fire Watch cancellations and other drought related difficulties. But when the cosmos collide for an event, one of the nicest places to launch. Standing 20K, call in to 35, nearest tree is way off in the distance. Mile High Mayhem, slated for early June is a probability if late Spring rains fall, High Skies in July also a good time. Oktoberfest is sketchy but too much depends on the prairie rainfall....Fort Collins and Cheyenne near by, Denver just down the road and there's always the Republic of Boulder to visit. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Hudson Ranch, home to SCORE, outside of Pueblo. Great folks and another awesome launch site, unless the wind is blowing towards the rocket eating canyons.

Washington Aerospace Club holds a launch over Memorial Day weekend...Fire in the Sky (FITS). They have a 25K waiver.

There's always the NSL, in Almogordo NM. Don't think this was what you're looking for, but a cool option.
    Bill

NAR #97213, L2
    Just a member of UROC
    Former member of NARHAMS and NOVAAR

There's always the NSL, in Almogordo NM. Don't think this was what you're looking for, but a cool option.
    Yeah. The NM, AZ, SoCal options may have to wait.

Buckeye,
    Just outta curiosity where will you be coming from? Where are you located?
    I have nothing to add to the thread, just curious where you are. I have gone out West in quite some time, and never attended a launch out that way.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
    TRA #16513
    Level 1: Danger Close ---AT H123W to 1240'--- 29 OCT 2016
    Level 2: Binder Design Tyrannosaur ---AT J315R to 2148'--- 30 SEP 2017

I am coming via I80, I90, or I94 through Chicago.

I80 takes you right past the salt flats where Hellfire is held.

You're welcome to come out to one of the San Luis Valley launches, just outside Alamosa, CO. We're a small casual club, and (based on my one launch there - we moved here over the summer) a good mix of LPR and HPR, a decent waiver, and (unless the wind is blowing) crystal-clear skies and plenty of room. Also launching at 7500 feet means that your first launch may very well be your highest-altitude flight ever. As long as you ignore that AGL bit. Civilization/amenities - Alamosa is all of 15 minutes away. If you're talking civilization/amenities like "There's a walmart, a handful of good restaurants, hotels, a university, and a small town", yes, we've got that. If you're talking civilization/amenities like "Which Vietnamese restaurant do you want to try tonight?" or "Let's take in an opera" or "I need to go to Lowe's/Target/a department store" .... that's more like 2 hours away in Pueblo.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/San-Luis...491579/events/