Thread for sewing harnesses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Just looking for thread sizes and types for sewing harnesses. I have checked out several thread sites that were mentioned here on TRF but I have no idea what the sizes mean. It will be used for sewing tubular nylon and kevlar for level 1 and level 2 birds - less than 10lbs.

I will be using an awl and hand stitching, so coated to go through a machine isn't necessary. So far I have used the thread that comes with the awl, and some kevlar I picked up some time back that I used for harnesses in LPR.

Kevlar, Nomex, Nylon, Hemp... doesn't matter, whatever works and is fairly affordable.

Thanks folks.

Mikey D

I use a heavy dacron fly line backing and upholstery needles for sewing my kevlar harnesses for lighter rockets in the 6-10lb ranges, for the big ones its off to OneBadHawk as his harnesses
are the best!

Last edited:
Highly recommend #69, nylon if the harness is nylon, Kevlar is the harness is kevlar, although sometimes I use nylon thread on a Kevlar harness.

I bought a spool of aramid thread that is about the same size and weight as upholstery thread and use that to stitch Kevlar shock cords. I use it in my sewing machine and sew harnesses, chute protectors, deployment bags, etc. Anything that may be exposed to hot ejection gases.

On shock cords and harnesses I use the W patterns as recommended for man-rated parachutes harnesses instead of the standard zig zag stitches or Z type cross patterns that used to be used.

Highly recommend #69, nylon if the harness is nylon, Kevlar is the harness is kevlar, although sometimes I use nylon thread on a Kevlar harness.

This is what I was was wanting, an actual size I could easily find.

"Heavy" and "about the size.." is not listed as standard sizes. Lol. But thanks for the info. I have some Dacron fishing line, will have to locate it.

Mikey D

Could you provide a picture?

This came from page 186 of the Recovery Systems Design Guide AFFDL-TR-78-151

The 4-Point Cross Stitch is also called the W-W stitch. As the text explains, it is stronger then the old style box stitch.
The zig-zag stitch is used for attaching shroud lines, etc. to canopies. It isn't really the right stitch for making harnesses.

stitch patterns from Recovery Systems Design Guide AFFDL-TR-78-151.PNG

Here's a link to download the Recovery Systems Design Guide. You can just click the orange button and download the .pdf version.

Last edited:
This is what I was was wanting, an actual size I could easily find.

"Heavy" and "about the size.." is not listed as standard sizes. Lol. But thanks for the info. I have some Dacron fishing line, will have to locate it.

Mikey D

Here's the Nomex thread I ordered. It is size 69 which is about as heavy as can be used in a home machine. https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOM069WHIT04S

The thread exchange as a nice buying guide for Nomex thread here.

Hope that gives you a little more detail and info.

On modern skydiving parachutes shroud lines are typically attached with a bar tack not a zig zig. Some round parachutes still use a zig zag for line attachment.

Last edited:
I use several types of needles in my leather crafting.
They are on a really good sale right now.
If you use a threading awl, "THESE" will accept pretty large thread or small leather lace.
"THESE" you do not need to use an awl. I would suggest size 000, Large.
For the price right now, "THESE" wouldn't be a bad set to have on hand either.

I use several types of needles in my leather crafting.
They are on a really good sale right now.
If you use a threading awl, "THESE" will accept pretty large thread or small leather lace.
"THESE" you do not need to use an awl. I would suggest size 000, Large.
For the price right now, "THESE" wouldn't be a bad set to have on hand either.

I have all but the second one you posted. I'll just have to locate the curved set. I used to do a bit of leather working myself back in my black powder days.

#69 might work in a home machine with the right needle. 5 or 6 cord requires a harness machine with a huge flywheel.

#69 in hand sewing is simple if using something like the Speedy Stitcher. I have #138 loaded in mine with a small needle (small, relative to the one that comes with it) and it will breeze through three ply of nylon webbing without issue.

I can use #69 in all my machines. I use a #18 needle, usually, with this thread weight, and have to set the tension to 8.5-9 on the one that actually has numbers on the tension dial (the other two don't have numbered dials, so it's set to "max," then backed off a smidge and a half.).

Depends on your machine... would check the specs on whatever model you're using.

Later

--Coop

Last edited:
My model is a 1979 Dixon 10 Finger aka, I'll be using my hands. Lol. I don't have a machine.

Thanks again for all the info.

In that case, you forgot more about your '79 Dixon 10-Finger than I ever learned. Heheh. Good luck and be careful: replacement parts for that model are neither readily available nor cheap. Heh.

Later!

--Coop

I bought this from "thethreadexchange" and use it in my Pfaff industrial bar-tacker.
KEV069NATL02B Kevlar - Size 69 (Tex 60) - Natural - Bonded - 2 Oz Spool - 836 Yards - Strength 23 Lbs
Works great for sewing TN.
Have never torn open a tack - the unsewn TN tears first.

Last edited:
I work less than 5 minutes from the thread exchange. The keep all of the kevlar thread covered to keep the "fluorescent" light from fading it.

If you call and ask they have faded thread at substantially reduced prices, not sure how the strength is affected.

Right-O.
Looks like size 69 is where it's at. I'll put some of the Nomex and Nylon, possibly Kevlar, on my shopping list. I'll contact them and see if I may can get a few samples before ordering.

Looks like ParaGear USA maybe a good place to get my tubular nylon as well, good lead - thanks.

I work less than 5 minutes from the thread exchange. The keep all of the kevlar thread covered to keep the "fluorescent" light from fading it.

If you call and ask they have faded thread at substantially reduced prices, not sure how the strength is affected.

Good to know. Will have to look into that as well.

Interesting about the storage for Kevlar....I've never noticed any fading or change over time and the spool just sits on the machine in the shop under fluorescents. Guess it's good we just move to LED lighting! :)

In my opinion, ParaGear is way over priced.

Trying you local climbing store, kayak store, or REI for tubular nylon............crazy cheap.

By the time I drive to my "local" REI, I would have to buy a few spools to come out ahead, nearest one is in Houston, TX nearly 3 hours away. We don't have REI here in Louisiana. Not much to climb around here and our kayaking is quit a bit different than what you folks with mountains may be used to. Lol. They have 5/8" available online though.

Strapworks has decent prices on 1/2" tubular nylon, but then skips sizes to 1".

This video may be helpful. I have used Kevlar and Nylon thread with an awl.

[video=youtube;UkLopNaQddI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLopNaQddI[/video]

I would recommend buying a used industrial machine, they are so much nicer to use than a home grade machine.

Back