My first PSII E2X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper Al

Reaction score
The Mammoth, on sale. I CA'd the fins together, built the engine mount and set the fins with a 30 min epoxy, then placed the tube connector in place in the lower 2" BT on the line I drew in the middle, also with epoxy. With some elastics around the fins, I foolishly placed the model upright to dry overnight. You know what happened next - in the morning that tube connector was no where to be found, just gone! Oh well, E2X is not idiot proof. Simple build set aside while I wait for the new part.

On to the Ventris, with a little more care.

Last edited:
seems as though the tube connector sank into lower body tube eh?

I actually noticed mine had sunk some when building; that the tube was fairly loose going in. Check inside the tube, hope it didn't sink in too far or the body tube will need to be shortened...

fm

Did the coupler sink through while the epoxy wasnt fully cure? Ouch.
Now I'm glad I stick with the Loctite Heavy Duty 5 minute for Mid-power builds.

Don't hurt that Ventris lol.

seems as though the tube connector sank into lower body tube eh?

I actually noticed mine had sunk some when building; that the tube was fairly loose going in. Check inside the tube, hope it didn't sink in too far or the body tube will need to be shortened...

fm
Hah, yes, it is my assumption that it went south and is solidly mounted somewhere down near the motor mount. It was well over 30 minutes when I walked away, but yes the epoxy was not well set and the fit was loose. A fairly painless lesson.

I will take the advice to use a shorter setting epoxy (which is my norm) as well as consider gravity effects more seriously.

Thanks!

a little masking tape works wonders for preventing coupler migration :).
Rex

This may be my first mid power build. I picked this one up with a Trajector, Star Orbiter, STM-012, Sprint XL and a Vagabond. Any preference on which one you would build as your first? I was thinking of using a baffle in one of the last four listed.

I just showed the Mammoth project and its vanishing coupler to the kids, and they were very impressed with the flashy orange body tube finish - wanted to know how many of those tubes I have sitting the parts bin that they could build with.

This may be my first mid power build. I picked this one up with a Trajector, Star Orbiter, STM-012, Sprint XL and a Vagabond. Any preference on which one you would build as your first? I was thinking of using a baffle in one of the last four listed.
That line-up sounds a lot like their assortment #3, which I also picked up. Now they are sold out of that, most of the individual kits in it, and the Mammoth too. Which to build first depends on what you want out of the project, I think. Some of those really call for great care and a nice finished effort while the PSII E2X should get you flying sooner - unless of course you loose a key part mid way through as I did.

That line-up sounds a lot like their assortment #3, which I also picked up. Now they are sold out of that, most of the individual kits in it, and the Mammoth too. Which to build first depends on what you want out of the project, I think. Some of those really call for great care and a nice finished effort while the PSII E2X should get you flying sooner - unless of course you loose a key part mid way through as I did.

I noticed you mentioned building the Ventris. Getting back into the hobby I can handle level three kits, they are stating this one is a level five. Is there a huge learning curve with this rocket?

The deals at Estes were sweet, I picked up most of those rockets on their site sans the Orbiter which was found locally.

Did you use medium CA for your Mammoth? Also would 5 or 15 min epoxy be a good choice for it? Thanks for the help, not sure when I'll get around to building it. Found a bunch of low power stuff in a box I've been building.

I noticed you mentioned building the Ventris. Getting back into the hobby I can handle level three kits, they are stating this one is a level five. Is there a huge learning curve with this rocket?

The deals at Estes were sweet, I picked up most of those rockets on their site sans the Orbiter which was found locally.

Did you use medium CA for your Mammoth? Also would 5 or 15 min epoxy be a good choice for it? Thanks for the help, not sure when I'll get around to building it. Found a bunch of low power stuff in a box I've been building.

Regarding the Ventris, maybe they're referring to some extra skill expected before flying it. It's good basic stuff, in some ways easier because it's bigger. With my Panavia I forgot about my mods of railbuttons and shock cord mount and was lucky it worked out just as well the way I ended up doing it. But you can mess it up. Don't use wood glue for the coupler(s) either like they say, it grabs like crazy, I've messed up tubes before and won't try it again.

Regarding the Ventris, maybe they're referring to some extra skill expected before flying it. It's good basic stuff, in some ways easier because it's bigger. With my Panavia I forgot about my mods of railbuttons and shock cord mount and was lucky it worked out just as well the way I ended up doing it. But you can mess it up. Don't use wood glue for the coupler(s) either like they say, it grabs like crazy, I've messed up tubes before and won't try it again.
Yes, I do find the skill levels confusing. For example, I understand that currently the Eliminator is Level 3 - and requires very little in the way of assembly, while the D-Region Tomahawk is a Level 1 - another E engine rocket that requires a lot more careful work.

The PS II build kits seem to be simply big versions of fairly basic rockets. Sure, you may be looking at through-the-wall fins, plywood, and some recommendations for epoxy instead of wood glue, but otherwise nothing too complex. The higher skill level mainly seems to involve bigger engines and the experience to launch them safely. The PS II's particularly on sale are I think a screaming bargain and one that we will miss when they are gone.

Apogee bumps any kit up one level if the instructions call for the use of epoxy, perhaps Estes is doing the same.
Rex

Better yet, don't use glue at all!(this is a shameless plug for using rivets) Makes bigger rockets break down into transportable pieces and allows access to things like shockcords for replacement.

If you don't have rivets, for my Mammoth I used narrow duct tape at the edges of my tube joints, blue tape over the midspan to assemble at the field.

P1100684.jpgP1100685.jpgP1100686.jpg

OK, I glued in my replacement tube connector successfully, then went ahead and simultaneously epoxied the launch lugs, shock cord anchor, and motor retention. The last of which I just realized is a little askew. Having a tough time with this one, and will have to be more careful!

I am looking at the PSII E2X booster unit and thinking it will work well with the Mammoth - and hoping my little retention malallignment will have no functional issue for stage coupling. I am assuming the booster is supposed to tumble down - with that heavy 29mm BP burnt motor inside? It seems as if will fall pretty hard.

I am going to run some sims to see if I can get away with an 18" parachute - though our winter frozen lake launch site is pretty large, recovery-wise. So maybe stick with the stock 24".

Also, yes this is a big rocket! I can understand why some of you are talking about building it such that it can be transported in pieces. It is huge, and not bad looking either. Still have some decals to apply.

Last edited:
I put together the ps2 booster for my mammoth, but didn't get to actually fly that config. It -is- quite heavy, but should tumble nicely.

The PS II's particularly on sale are I think a screaming bargain and one that we will miss when they are gone.

The Mammoth and Trajector are back in stock. Though if I purchased a second one of these I might get the "hard stare" from the wife, better to save up for my Level One Kit.

The Mammoth and Trajector are back in stock. Though if I purchased a second one of these I might get the "hard stare" from the wife, better to save up for my Level One Kit.
Yes, those big PSII E2X boxed kits are especially tough to sneak into the basement unnoticed.

Back