Estes Satellite Interceptor 1296 tail cone question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
does anyone have a tail cone for an Estes Satellite Interceptor #1296 that they could measure? looking for length and aft diameter, thanks
Rex

from what I have managed to find (so far) aft dia. 0.976", length 5/16"(based on a rocsim file). for the moment I'll go ahead and use these measurements.
Rex

Does that use the same cone and nozzle as the Crossfire ISX?

dunno, I know that it was used for the Estes Black Brant III. the (original) instructions call it, PNC-50BB (71027). I was planning to make a cone from paper and a centering ring.
Rex

ah, well my local hobby shop doesn't carry that...so it would seem that any solution (for me) would involve some online shopping :). thanks,
Rex

I tried to make some measurements, not sure how accurate. The end of the nozzle is the same diameter as the body tube, so it does not interfere with the launch rod.

IMG_0463.jpg

The part you can't see is the coupler size portion that is glued inside the body tube, I am not sure how long that was, probably about a diameter.

Last edited:
my understanding is that the crossfire unit would probably be a reasonable substitute but is a slightly different design, one difference is that the pnc50-bb (original) wasn't intended as a flyable device so you wouldn't be able to fit an engine through it. however your measurements confirm what I gleaned from the rocsim file, I just have to wait for the parts to arrive so I can build a few motor mounts(this bird, alpha, and one to be revealed later). thanks much for doing the measuring.
Rex

my apologies for not getting back sooner, seems a certain young man :facepalm: threw the bag away without noticing the pieces in it... the dowels and nose are gone as well... Once we get the replacements I'll post the dimensions; should be here weds/thurs.

fm

fyi... I tossed something of his in return (I kept it, will give it back at an appropriate time)

I'm building the new version, #3027.

It appears that version does not include the display nozzle - bummer

Back