LOC PRECISION LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought about using an anti-zipper of some kind?

Yes.. when i get back to the build i will post a pick. Its material used in oven doors and such. I will wrap the cord from mount to above the air frame. Adding a good amount of "soft" thickness to the cord. Protecting the cord from heat( there will also be an aerotech type baffle as well) and the pad will help protect against zipper.

Crazyed, I am sure that your cord will be fine. I would protect from heat as others have mentioned. That cord might have a finite lifetime though, no matter how well that you build it. That is the problem that I have had with nearly all of the numerous Estes rockets that I built with my kids. Once the cord is shot, then you have to make some modifications to incorporate a new cord and the rocket is already built. That is not always easy. You might consider installing a U-bolt on the top centering ring as an insurance policy. If something happens to your cord, you can always attach something via a quick link. You will really like your LOC-IV. The stock chute on my LOC-IV is too big. The rocket drifts a lot in the air when under chute. It also moves on the ground in a good wind. If you find that happens with yours, you can always change to a smaller chute. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Boy your right.. those loc chutes sure catch the air. I had that problem with my loc 4-29. I cut a hole in the top of the chute after a couple long walks.

I put an eyebolt in the upper centering ring. Since it's a 4" body, I can easily reach inside and attach the shock cord with a quick link.

I did not think it through dog gone it. I totally forgot that method ..no excuse for why I went this way with so much room available .insert face in palm here lol

Boy your right.. those loc chutes sure catch the air. I had that problem with my loc 4-29. I cut a hole in the top of the chute after a couple long walks.

Mine drifted a number of times on small motors. Once though, at Black Rock, there was a pretty good wind. Easy up, easy down. My rocket was getting drug like crazy on the ground. The top of the tube was picking up desert dirt, and was still getting dragged a long way. I had to get in my car and cut it off. I could have easily lost it. The dragging damaged the top of the tube. I repaired it, but the rocket is a few inches longer now.

I did not think it through dog gone it. I totally forgot that method ..no excuse for why I went this way with so much room available .insert face in palm here lol

No big deal. Rocketry is all about learning. There are other ways to install a shock cord after the build if something happens to yours. If you do go with an eyebolt, get a forged one or one that is welded closed. The other kind can open with force. That probably won't happen with you LOC-IV.

And one of these stuffed up the motor mount for a hot gas baffle. 2 screws epoxied in a cross pattern to keep it from blowing out. When I blow thru the mount there is full air flow.And I can push it out from the top with a launch rod for cleaning.:cool:

1484857398789676669656.jpg

Yes its mid 90's stuff. But it was alot of fun fuguring out things and backyard how to's pertaining to rocketry. I wanted to fly this bird at the SARA launch this weekend but it wont be finished by then. So I will fly my Mirage ( old faithful) on H power and a couple others.:cool:

20170119_152144.jpg

20170119_142014.jpg

20170119_152059.jpg

Some fin filling and sanding.. Mark and prep for 1/2" launch lug.:cool:

20170119_164001.jpg

14848699879871762776927.jpg

I dont have my 38mm-29mm adapter or a 38mm motor or hardware. So to show how this retainer works I used a paper tube and masking tape to mock it up. This is how it would work with a loc adapter and an Aerotech 240- 29mm motor. An Aerotech Hobbyline 40-120 will work as well. Not to mention a 38mm motor CTI or Aerotech .

20170119_173440.jpg

Some paint today . 38mm to 29mm adapter on its way. Im looking to fly second week of Feb. On a G75 first flight. Then to an H ?

20170124_140514.jpg

1485292138231-1712058867.jpg

Yes. Fins are drying now. Black and white. Also the lug is white. And drying. Unsure yet about the nose cone color. Black ot primer grey. ill prime it first and see how i like it. Its a like cool outside today so paint is drying slow.

1485294784519-449538369.jpg

Yes. Fins are drying now. Black and white. Also the lug is white. And drying. Unsure yet about the nose cone color. Black ot primer grey. ill prime it first and see how i like it. Its a like cool outside today so paint is drying slow.

I may skip the G. Go rigbt to the H128W

Are you concerned about the epoxy adhering to the painted surfaces? Have you simmed the altitudes with the different motors?

I'd say skip right to the H motor... But I'm an instigator like that!!!! =)

Here it is. Dry fit fins. I do the nose cone tomorrow. And yes,H123/ H250. :cool:

1485320335315-382351911.jpg

Last edited:
LOC rocket. LOC adapter $4.50 and .50 hardware for retainer...old scool. The adapter comes with a thrust ring ro be epoxied in place. This is a test fit:cool:

1485647844838-449538369.jpg

The fins do provide some cover for this area as seen in the previous pic:cool: Ive had very good reliability with this type of retainer.(never failed or damaged beyond use)

20170119_152059.jpg

Last edited:
Another happy LOC IV owner. Finished and ready for an H238. But built for an I 284. And a good pair of eyes.:cool:

20170201_125402-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back