Camden SC, ICBM/ROSCO 2017 launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a camera but I never record my own flights. I like prefer to just watch. When my daughter comes she does it for me.

Hope to get an L2200 by Freedom Launch and fly my 11.5 inch V2. I personally dont want to fly to much over 3000 feet at the new field. It weighs 60 pounds loaded. I think it should reach 2O00. I get around 4500 on an M 2550.

Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies will NOT be at the July 8-9 launch. He will be sending a delivery. If you need to order anything, let him know by Monday, July 3rd.

Don & I are doing a "DarkStar" weekend, bring our mini's .....original DarkStar's [Jr's] and the 3 inches. should be a hoot. haven't flown them since O'burg days. I'm actually bringing some of my booty from the Estes super sale. Hope winds are low to fly the light little buggers!

This may be a bit premature, but I hope someone is going to update the SC web site should the August 12-13 launch gets cancelled. Not all of us use Facebook and this rain looks endless.

This may be a bit premature, but I hope someone is going to update the SC web site should the August 12-13 launch gets cancelled. Not all of us use Facebook and this rain looks endless.

Bite your tongue!

Cheers,
Michael

Gary,

I will be updating our website, Facebook and this thread if the launch should be canceled.

The August 12-13 launch at Camden is CANCELED. With 1.5" of rain already and another 1-2 more expected, field and entry road conditions will be poor. Please pass this information on to everyone.

Freedom Launch is up next and I'm certainly very much looking forward to it.

I do have a concern about CTI motor availability after messaging with Ken from Performance hobby. Pro 29 reloads are - with 3 exceptions - all out of stock and Ken doesn't think he will have them restocked for FL.
Do any of you have ideas on alternative sources? Group buy maybe to save some Hazmat costs?

Thanks Jim.

I'm actually needing CTI G54 and/or H90 reloads for the event.

Ah...hem....

I can probably hook you up. Definitely H90's. I'm sure I have just about every 24 and 29 G, but I don't have too many reds so if I am missing one it is probably your G54. Any alternatives that you would consider? G57? G33 is nice...

The only obstacle is that it looks like I will have to work Saturday so I may not get down until Saturday night. If you are flying into GSP, though, I'm sure we could make arrangements.

I look forward to seeing you again!

Cheers,
Michael

Michael,

that would be great. I have other motors for Saturday, just won't fly as high.

I sent Wildman an email yesterday asking stock availability on 29 reloads. I haven't received an answer yet. If they do have some of the motors I need I would ask someone who is attending FL to order them for me.

Leo,

PM or email Bridgett what you want and we will see if we can get it for you.

Chuck

I have the following request to anyone who has an original Estes Saros (K-54) rocket, assembled or in kit form.
I will be bringing along my cloned version which is 50% 3D printed. I have tried my very best to get the dimensions right via pictured instructions.
I would like to compare my version to an original so if anyone has the kit and is coming to Freedom Launch I would be very appreciative.

The first day is over. It was great with a dry field, very warm and sunny but windy.

FL_2017_Day1_1.jpg

LW Bercini and Gary had the low power pads all to themselves :wink:
Great looking rockets guys!

FL_2017_Day1_2.jpg

Using an Estes Saros clone I did 3D printed fin can tests with different plastic filament material. PLA didn't cut it and warped.

FL_2017_Day1_3.jpg

Today was just.... WOW!

We couldn't have asked for better weather. Blue skies though out the day, no wind in the morning, slight winds at day break and then hardly any wind in the afternoon.

Good thing it was calm as I sent up my Star-Orbiter on a CTI G57 Classic reaching an altitude of 2725 feet. However, at 2026 feet the nose cone wiggled loose and deployed the main chute prematurely (it was suppose to come out at 400 feet). Had there been winds my Star Orbiter would have been lost. Instead it landed safely on the field.

Left: my Star-Orbiter, right: a cool rocket from Allen Whitmore.

FL_2017_Day2_3.jpg

Typical mid power rocket assortment. Second from right my Estes Ascender 2-Stage:

FL_2017_Day2_1.jpg

Stage separation:

FL_2017_Day2_2.jpg

LW Bercini's beautiful Honest John:

FL_2017_Day2_4.jpg

Tom Bindford's impressive multi motor combo with inflight staging:

FL_2017_Day2_5.jpg

Big and loud sparky flying skyward:

FL_2017_Day2_6.jpg

Found at Freedom Launch: A set of binoculars were found at the registration table. Help us return them to their owner.

They are not mine! I promise.......

Thank you for getting my book back to me........for the second time.

😀😀

Day 3 was just as great with lots of rockets flying high.

FL_2017_Day3_1.jpg

FL_2017_Day3_2.jpg

FL_2017_Day3_3.jpg

My 2-Stage Estes Ascender ready for it's 2700+ feet flight.

FL_2017_Day3_4.jpg

Laurence Bercini using a Jolly Logic chute release for the first time. That's how optimists look like.

FL_2017_Day3_5.jpg

His beautiful Patriot heading for the sky on a perfect flight.

FL_2017_Day3_6.jpg

On the chute...

FL_2017_Day3_9.jpg

A mascot rocket :) I forget the team.

FL_2017_Day3_7.jpg

A happy camper.

FL_2017_Day3_8.jpg

This was one of the best, if not the best, Freedom Launches that I have ever attended.

Fantastic people, food, weather, rockets..... what else could you ask for
icon14.png

Thanks! I had a blast!!

Back