What kind of paint for FG rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
I'm new to painting FG rockets and was wondering what the common paint is that most people have good luck with?
I'm not looking for automotive paint or anything like that. Just a spray can brand of some kind maybe?
Also, is it the same basic steps? Sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint?
Thanks!

I'm new to painting FG rockets and was wondering what the common paint is that most people have good luck with?
I'm not looking for automotive paint or anything like that. Just a spray can brand of some kind maybe?
Also, is it the same basic steps? Sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint?
Thanks!

A good primer under the paint is more important than the color coat. Duplicolor primers or Rustoleum Automotive primers are sandable primers and adhere to the FG well. After a good primer the Rustoleum Professional colors work well, Duplicolor automotive touchup colors, even Krylon 2X works, there are higher grade spray bombs others use that work very well too.
Its pretty much the same steps as a cardboard rocket other than less filling and sanding.

I use a DTM primer in a spraycan from Sherwin-Williams with good results, SEM is a good product as well, as it's a auto body grade primer in a can (found at auto paint supply houses)

FG is a bit different to paint. I believe over the counter spray paint is not the best choice if you are going the spray can route. You can use a few spray can options. I use auto paints, with all the supporting equipment etc. but have used almost anything you can think of.

You would want to maybe look at the Tamiya/similar Acrylic spray cans and use those as your paint.
OR
you would want to look at local autozone to see what OTC spray cans they have too that are along the lines of auto grade.
OR
you would want to call your local Carquest, or body shop supply store, and see if you can get real automotive paint codes put into a spray cans like PPG, Dupont etc. and the same 2 part clear system in a spray can.

just some ideas

You can then go to autozone and get spray can of clear coat, primer, sand paper 220-2000 and a bottle of rubbing compound to get good results.

Your routine would be.... dont be overwhelmed and understand this will take you 2-3 days depending on your time

Wash - sand lightly 220-600 -wash - prime - sand 220-600 - fill/prime - wet sand 600 - wash - spray paint - dry - spray clear - dry - wetsand clear 600-2000 - wash - polish - wash - polish - amaze everyone with your paint skills :horse:

20161016_094632_zpstaxesanz.jpg

20161209_190936_zpswgnnx2zz.jpg

Last edited:
you dont want to really start getting into sanding the paint before a clear coat. I only do that when there NEEDS to be a touch up or to blend/level edges or transition.
You would want to lay out your color/clear in one session, 2-3 light coats 5 min in between move to medium coverage 2 coats with 10 min in between.

It is possible to clear in the same day as paint, unless you know exactly what your material limits are, dont try it. Keep everything as clean as possible.

I've used Rusto 2X on many of my FG rockets with very little prep and it works fine. Not always showroom quality, but at the first flight, they all look the same anyways.
Basically, I start with a light sanding using 200+grit sandpaper. Wipe everything down with acetone. Then spray primer. Then light sanding again, primer again (rarely), then top coats. Works fine with great results.
On higher, faster, bigger rockets, I've upgraded to auto quality paints and a little more prep. Mostly because it's worth the investment for rockets I've already invested plenty into.

Just a pic to show the basic results...

Attachments

• 1482985173803.jpg
    1482985173803.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
The cheap spray cans have very low quality spray nozzles on them limiting the spray pattern and atomization. And they are pressurized at aprox. 1/5 the pressure of the high end cans.
There are high quality spray cans from companies like Alsa:
https://alsacorp.com/killer-cans/
And they have a large selection of pearls, chrome, candies, etc., instead of the standard base colors . Automotive Urethane paint.

The clear coat is stunning:
https://alsacorp.com/clearcoats/

So you basically get what you pay for. IMHO (and 10 years in the finishing business)

Last edited:
Back