Parting material for fiberglass body

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeler

Reaction score
Tried PVA on top over a abs tube as a mold, the fiberglass stick to the abs now, how do you laminate fg body tube

Wax and PVA are the right release agents, but they don't reduce the friction to zero. What I've done is use an aluminum mandrel and then fill the inside with dry ice to shrink it so that it releases the part.

I used the aluminum foil that will leave some foil left when part is done, may try parch paper too

mylar over round mandrels works too. The mylar can then be removed from inside the tube. If you're using a motor tube as the mandrel I usually use to wraps of 2 mil mylar. That will allow for some variation in the OD's of various motor tubes.

make sure you only use tape to secure the mylar at the very ends of the mandrel That you can get to after the layup. ANY tape holding the mylar in place under your layup will create a night mare

The PVC tube you see in the video is only supporting the motor tube/mandrel.

Also. PVC is not the truest round stuff there is. I would recommend un taping the mylar and trying to spin the layup and mylar while it's in it's "green" state and sliding it some..not off...before it totally sets up. I would do this a few times before it is fully cured

[video=youtube;q3wtcNTd9wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wtcNTd9wg[/video]

Tony

Last edited:
Any solvent can filter into the parts and save my mandrel now, I soak the thing into water, but only a few area of PVA get solved and appeared part from the mandrels

mylar over round mandrels works too. The mylar can then be removed from inside the tube. If you're using a motor tube as the mandrel I usually use to wraps of 2 mil mylar. That will allow for some variation in the OD's of various motor tubes.

make sure you only use tape to secure the mylar at the very ends of the mandrel That you can get to after the layup. ANY tape holding the mylar in place under your layup will create a night mare

The PVC tube you see in the video is only supporting the motor tube/mandrel.

Also. PVC is not the truest round stuff there is. I would recommend un taping the mylar and trying to spin the layup and mylar while it's in it's "green" state and sliding it some..not off...before it totally sets up. I would do this a few times before it is fully cured

[video=youtube;q3wtcNTd9wg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wtcNTd9wg[/video]

Tony

Tony, where do you get your mylar? Going to be rolling a 38mm tube soon.

Tony, where do you get your mylar? Going to be rolling a 38mm tube soon.

I went looking for .005 thick mylar for CF layup on a sonotube mandrel , found it locally at Hobby Lobby.
Trade name is "Dura Lar" near the art and frame section.
The larger 36 "wide roll was only .003 thick so I had to settle for the smaller 20" wide roll.

What is the mylar paper, how thick is it to stick wrap to the mandrel, do I need to glue it

Back