Trump, Boeing CEO Meet to Discuss New Air Force One Costs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Newsbot is skating on thin ice, skirting the edge on the politics ban. Watch it, Newsbot! I've got my eye on you!

Is it just me. I read the report, which is focused on Air Force One and here is a snippet

"Following his meeting with Trump on Tuesday, Muilenburg said, “We’re all focused on the same thing here, we’re going to make sure that we give our war fighters the best capability in the world and that we do it in a way that is affordable for our taxpayers.”

I was not aware that Air Force One was fighter capable :eyeroll:

Maybe they are talking about redeploying costs earmarked for Air Force One.

The link to the original article instead went to a Gizmodo article about one of Saturn's moons... Odd.

$4 Billion is a lot. For how many Air Force Ones though? A stock 747 is $357 Million. I wonder what kind of defensive and operational capabilities are required to convert a run-of-the-mill 747 into an Air Force One? Then what is the mark-up... :eyepop:

We can only guess.

However it seems to me that maybe they won't be able to get away with $200 bars of soap and $10,000 screwdrivers like they used to.

The presidential escape pod is an add on and it isn't cheap.

When I was in the Air Force we never bought $10,000 screwdrivers, but our contractor bought us a few bags of $500 hammers. They did this to get around the insanely stupid and rigid acquisition rules back then.

The presidential escape pod is an add on and it isn't cheap.

When I was in the Air Force we never bought $10,000 screwdrivers, but our contractor bought us a few bags of $500 hammers. They did this to get around the insanely stupid and rigid acquisition rules back then.

Read this and though cool I need to look that one up and the first hit I get https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_pod under the fiction section it says "Air Force One is shown as being equipped with a one-person escape pod for emergency use by the President of the United States in at least four films, Escape from New York, Air Force One, Bermuda Tentacles and Big Game. (However, the actual Air Force One, does not have an escape pod.[2][3])"

Are they putting one in now? That would be pretty cool.

My brother was here between xmas and New Years.
He works at Boeing.
Trump was discussing the 2 new Air Force One jets ordered.
Everything that goes into the shell is added cost.
All the electronics are one off's, thus the cabling has to be hand made, =$$$
Everything is shielded, even the wire bundle attachments for EMP strikes, =$$$
There is a whole lot more than you think that goes into those 2 birds.

Another point to consider is the amortization of the non-recurring (design costs).
When a company, like Boeing or Airbus, develop a plane, they plan to sell hundreds, if not thousands of planes. So the sell price consists of profit (they do need to make money), fabrication costs (the cost to actually build a plane), and a portion of the design cost - say 1/1000th of this design cost.
Since the development may run a billion dollars (yes - they are expensive to design and test), this will add $1 million to the sell price (1 billion divided by 1 thousand)
But for AF1, they are only buying 2. Take 1 billion and divide by 2 and the sell cost has to include $500 million to cover the design cost

And before someone claims the plane already exists, every system has to be re-evaluated and possibly upgraded. The power system has to be redesigned to handle all of the special electronics. As Woody indicated, all of the wiring is probably being upgraded. And while they may not have escape pods, I'm sure there are flare dispensers, radar detectors, etc added for the protection of the aircraft. Throw in other changes and it is basically a new aircraft....

And don't forget that these are military aircraft and so they fall under military requirements for procurement. My last year at work I only touched a little of the new tanker project before I retired, but the paperwork for testing parts was horrendous. The tanker was not my project, but the volume of work for the Quality department I worked in was so overwhelming they made everyone in the department help out. And we built many, many parts that were only used for testing and were never going on an airplane.

The designers sit down with the specs the government provides.
They design it.
Pieces of the shell are built, then all the one offs (or 2 offs) start to get built and go in.
Oh, wait a minute...
New tech just got released, government respects it, back to the designers.
Ok, where will that fall in the build? Are the previous versions installed? Built? Components bought?
Delays, delays, delays = $$$

Back