Did anyone have an original Estes X-wing...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That actually survived it's first flight???

I guess this question is for those of us who are a bit more "vintage" than others, but I remember my brother and I being really excited when that thing came out in 1978. We both got the small version (the big kit was out of reach to us young'uns).

We had a great time building them up and my brother really put quite a bit of work into making his look like the ones on screen. Mine was close, but I used a bit of license when it came to details like engine pod and nose colors, like a different squadron or something.

Launch day came and my brother flew first. Ignition was perfect and the boost was really cool, with just a bit of wobble side to side on the way up.

When the ejection charge went the chute opened perfectly. Unfortunately the only thing under it was the nose cone. :surprised: The main body fell and crashed on the cement just about at our feet, shattering into what looked like hundreds of pieces. :sad:

Usually at that age anything bad that happened to your little brother was hilarious, but I was heartbroken for him. He had worked hard and done a nice job and there it was splattered on the pavement. The shock cord had broken right at the tea bag mount.

Undaunted, I prepped mine and launched with exactly the same result. Oh well, break out the WAC corporal...

After repairing both of them we tried again and got the same crash for the same reason. Both were repaired and relegated to shelf decorations and occasional toy use.

I have often wondered; did anyone have any luck with the small X-wing???:confused2:

I got several flights on mine until the shock cord broke (the original 1298 not the 15th Anniversary reissue). Great flights until the mishap. If I build the one I have in the bag, I will make the laser cannons removeable to save on entanglement with the parachute.

I had one of the originals as well, usually flew well but has since become a shelf queen.

I had one, and I remember it flying well at least several times. However, I don't have it anymore, but I cant remember how it met its demise. Some from that era got ruined in storage.

When the ejection charge went the chute opened perfectly. Unfortunately the only thing under it was the nose cone. :surprised: The main body fell and crashed on the cement just about at our feet, shattering into what looked like hundreds of pieces. :sad:

Unfortunately, I recently had about the same thing happen during the first flight of my Maxi X-Wing. It was my fault. I hadn't attached the shock cord to the body tube well enough.

But, even if I hadn't made the mistake, recovery of X-Wing models in general is challenging because there isn't much room for the recovery system.

-- Roger

Back