Who has a great middle or high school rocketry program?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrustline

Reaction score
Hello all! Hope you all are gearing up for the holidays. I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback in regards to what school or schools have the best model rocketry program and why? This can be a boy or girl scout program as well.

Thanks for your help!
John

Are you looking for recommendations in an area or advice on forming your own?

I would start with TARC - probably a TARC team in your area. https://rocketcontest.org/

That or the already mentioned scout programs.

Several universities have rocketry clubs: WVU, Penn State, CMU all in my neck of the woods. WVU competed in Utah last yeah for some contest for launching some instruments to near 10,000' or at least that was the goal for the event.

Are you looking for recommendations in an area or advice on forming your own?

What i'm trying to do is ascertain where and who are some of the strongest High School or Middle School model rocketry programs so that I can reward their efforts.
Okay, So I'll let the cat out of the bag...I have model rocket parts, a few boxes worth and I don't have the time to sell this stuff. And frankly, inventorying and then haggling over a price at this point in my life....lets just say I would rather give it to a few good programs out there so that others could benefit from the materials.

What i'm trying to do is ascertain where and who are some of the strongest High School or Middle School model rocketry programs so that I can reward their efforts.
Okay, So I'll let the cat out of the bag...I have model rocket parts, a few boxes worth and I don't have the time to sell this stuff. And frankly, inventorying and then haggling over a price at this point in my life....lets just say I would rather give it to a few good programs out there so that others could benefit from the materials.

Sometimes members of a local TRA prefecture or NAR section can help. Hopefully if you reach out to officers and express your intent, they can give some examples or maybe dates in which they may be hosting some students or scouts at a launch.

The Dallas Area Rocketry Society (dars.org) does a lot of outreach. If you send it to them, they'll be able to put it to much better use than a single school or program, since a school might not be able to use all the material. It sounds like you're short on time; if you choose them, DARS will be able to distribute the donation to those who need the parts most. They work with scouts, TARC teams, school outreaches, and many others, so with the diversity they'll be able to find a worthy place for everything and even if they don't find a permanent home, for things like field repair supplies, the amount of outreaches they do mean they'll be able to use it to help many rocket programs and their students. If it sounds like I'm advertising them, I am, because they really will put the donations to good use.

Last edited:
At My Middle School, the 6th grade class launches about 250 rockets with about 750 motors every year... If you have a "few boxes of rocket parts" - why not reach out to the nearest NAR section to see if they might be able to make some use of your stuff.

>>> https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Here's a picture of one of our Middle School launches...

IMG_20150605_102132.jpg

John

While not necessarily a school, there is a first rate tem in Manchester CT sponsored by a local church that would probably be appreciative. They were 5th place TARC two years ago and get support from us and UTC. IM me for details if you are interested.

p.S. you keep popping up from time to time, come back down and say hi for old times sake.

Back