Exploding Rocket Motors. E9 motor malfunction (video)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That CATO woke me and my wife's safety distance back up. We have had so many good launches that we weren't the full 30" away. We were probably only 10 or 15 feet away. Won't be doing that any more.

It's a worthy consideration to all of us.... What is The Worst Case?

I had a CATO on one of the 01 12 16 's recently and Estes sent me more of the same date code as replacement! So I did 2 tests fires and sure enough another from the same pack blew, but the ones from Estes were fine (tested one, flew one). That's 2 packs in a row bad from Hobby Lobby, I'm done with that. The F15's are still good and I flew possibly 50 of the E9s before the first problem.

Aerotech reloads are not a substitute (although the Starters do make the E9s a little more like trying to light SU composites). I can fly a whole pack of E9s in the amount of time it takes to build and clean a 24/40. Great motors but I never once flew an E reload, to be worth the trouble you gotta go F's.

That CATO woke me and my wife's safety distance back up. We have had so many good launches that we weren't the full 30" away. We were probably only 10 or 15 feet away. Won't be doing that any more.

There is a reason the safety distance is set at 30 feet.

Daddyisabar is referring to my rocket. It did have the 01 12 16 date code. It also has the A on the case, however I did not know that was part of the date code. Does anyone know what the letter is for?

Daddy had warned me about that date code, so I chose a model that was replaceable and not difficult to put together. Estes customer service is second to none. I informed Christine of the event and told her that I did not want them to have to pay to ship Hazmat and that I was leery of shipping the motors during the cold season, so I requested a V2 kit as a substitution for the motors. She immediately place the order for me of a Magician and a V2.

I am a strong supporter of following safety measures and making informed choices regarding risks, but the possibility that it may all go KABAOOM makes this hobby more interesting. I followed Daddyisabar's A10-3T flight with one of my own. It went flawlessly.

The day as a whole cost me 3 rockets. The Magician, An ACME Spitfire(Shock Cord Burn Through) and an ASP 18mm V-2(Experimental rear ejection experiment where the balsa boattail failed under pressure of trying to eject the full length of an 18mm motor and mount).

[YOUTUBE]JULkBXsULoE[/YOUTUBE]

Years ago when the extra letter appeared I asked and was told it identified the casing manufacturer. They were trying more than one supplier - possibly associated with the E15 problems.

I think they may all be "A" these days.

Daddyisabar is referring to my rocket. It did have the 01 12 16 date code. It also has the A on the case, however I did not know that was part of the date code. Does anyone know what the letter is for?

Daddy had warned me about that date code, so I chose a model that was replaceable and not difficult to put together. Estes customer service is second to none. I informed Christine of the event and told her that I did not want them to have to pay to ship Hazmat and that I was leery of shipping the motors during the cold season, so I requested a V2 kit as a substitution for the motors. She immediately place the order for me of a Magician and a V2.

I am a strong supporter of following safety measures and making informed choices regarding risks, but the possibility that it may all go KABAOOM makes this hobby more interesting. I followed Daddyisabar's A10-3T flight with one of my own. It went flawlessly.

The day as a whole cost me 3 rockets. The Magician, An ACME Spitfire(Shock Cord Burn Through) and an ASP 18mm V-2(Experimental rear ejection experiment where the balsa boattail failed under pressure of trying to eject the full length of an 18mm motor and mount).

[YOUTUBE]JULkBXsULoE[/YOUTUBE]

The bad motor list that I have is as follows:

C11
A 11 08 10

E9
09-04-12
06-28-11
06-14-01 A
A 01 12 16
A 09 15 14
A 1-12-16

E12
A 08-18-11
A 11 15 11

You're depressing me. I recently ordered four packs of E9 and E12 motors and every one of them falls under these date codes. At least my C11s are different.

I'm just gonna go ahead and screenshot that list real quick.

I want to throw an E9 in the Falcon9 with the chute release, and Reeeealy don't want to blow up that piece of tech.

*sigh*. I had an E9-4 blow yesterday on the maiden launch of my Mega Mosquito. Its date is 08 18 11 (listed as a bad day for E12s above). I bought a pack at Hobby Lobby today. Should've looked at this thread first. 01 12 16. *sigh*

Yes, I've filed a MESS report and sent info to Estes including a great picture (which was posted by the photographer on the NAR Facebook page today).

I've had one other E9 blow - a six second delay - in October of 2015. It was 6 28 11. I've flown quite a few E12s including one yesterday (6 22 12) - with no issues. I've also never had a problem (or seen one) with the 29mm E16s and F15s.

Nytrunner: the October 2015 E9-6 CATO was on my Vagabond, which had a beta Chute Release in it and a Möbius Action Cam taped to the outside. Both survived just fine.

Last edited:
Back