What's your build area, shop, room look like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a wooden floor on top of the concrete, with an airspace in between. I have never suffered from problems of cold or sore feet on it. I have considered rubber mats but find the painted wood easy to sweep so I won't bother with additional mats.

My workshop is not in an area that suffers from freezing temperature though. Rubber mats would probably be another nice layer of insulation in that situation.

I usually listen to the TV.....

X2.....I have a 42" with a sound bar and sub.....and a DirecTV pod.....usually have a movie on, or something from the DVR I've been meaning to watch. Sometimes I'll have on something Rocketry related, like when I built the Saturn V I streamed Apollo 13, From the Earth to the Moon, When We Left Earth....stuff like that. I'll also stream stuff from AXS for music, or from my iTunes library. (Through Apple TV)

My original intent was to use a blutooth speaker and stream one of my music apps from my phone, but instead I tune to one of the music channels (80's or Golden Oldies) on my TV in the living room and turn up the volume. Years ago, while living with a girlfriend, I had a TV in the room I worked in, but it was too distracting for me. I can listen to music and work, but if the TV is on I tend to watch it and not work.

In contrast to all the neat, clutter-free workplaces, I give you My Garage:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510001.911824.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510036.280965.jpg

The truth is it is mostly storage, although I will clean off the bench (a forty-plus year old sawhorse that my brother tried to throw on the burn pile a while back) occasionally and work there. Most of my actual building happens at my classroom, the shop, my barn, or outside.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510393.779378.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510450.269071.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510506.921548.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482510551.848683.jpg

RocketFeller,
Seams to me you have a pretty decent shop and fully staffed!
How did you get your hands on one of those wood shop benches with vise's and lockers underneath it?
Boy, does that bring back my high school days.
Merry Christmas!

It reminds you of a high school shop because it is a high school shop! I work at a small rural K-8, but I have access to our high school's wood shop.

Not sure yet; I'll have to see how cold it gets. So far it's only gone down to 54°F so no problem for working, although I would have to keep curing epoxy slightly warmer.
I did this for my wife's dog grooming shop:
Depending on how much cooling you need in the Summer a 2 ton package unit heat-pump will do more than enough, maybe get by 1 1/2 ton. (not sure on your insulation) If the low is 54 deg then the minimum heat strip (3-5kW) will work just in case you have to run in emerg heat mode. That way no gas to deal with.
Dust: You can build a return box with 4, good pleated filters in a zig-zag arrangement. Buy filters in bulk on Amazon, change often and your unit will stay clean for a while.
My shop is only 16 x 24, I get by with a window unit with a pleated filter added to the front and small space heaters for the winter.
It gets almost 100' in VA in Summer and low teens in the Winter.

John< I saw you are in San Fran, maybe even a 1 ton unit will suffice.
I just use 1 or 2 small space heaters near my curing epoxy, cheaper than trying to heat the whole shop.

Last edited:
John< I saw you are in San Fran, maybe even a 1 ton unit will suffice.
I just use 1 or 2 small space heaters near my curing epoxy, cheaper than trying to heat the whole shop.
Yeah, I will probably do that. The space isn't too cold for me (and winter isn't long here). By the time I get the shop set up, it will be warming up anyway. As far as Summer, I chose the North side of the building, so I expect to do without AC as well, but we'll see.

Yeah, I will probably do that. The space isn't too cold for me (and winter isn't long here). By the time I get the shop set up, it will be warming up anyway. As far as Summer, I chose the North side of the building, so I expect to do without AC as well, but we'll see.
Then I would not waste money on a central system. You could get by with fans and a nice window unit.

John: I think you will win the award for the best rocket building shop on here, you set the standard for all of us.

My room:

it's about 9 x 15, and packed! I have three main hobbies in this room..

1st pic is the main storage & build line.. Also show a bit f my storage system.. taken from the doorway in.
2nd pic is my tool box. there's a lot of modelling tool in that white sticker encrusted set of drawers! and to the right is 'parts & current builds' storage. I'm quite good at at starting things..
3rd pic.. the other hobby..
4th is a better pic of the 'storage & build line. the door into the the room is just on the left
Last is from the doorway goin in.. I've yet to clean up a bit, and am in the midst of a "product" photoshoot for a friend.. Hence the stickies on my photo cube / light box.

There's a lot packed into this is little room!

And yes, I know my calendar is clearly on the wrong month!! both of them! :D

rocket 7.jpg

rocket 6.jpg

rocket 5.JPG

rocket 4.JPG

rocket 3.JPG

Last edited:
Bump for updates and newer members to respond. I have moved 2 times since starting this thread. Now have a one car garage which I'm still working on trying to get optimized and organized.

I have this workbench in the garage and the storage locker behind me (birdseed & Dog food in the trashcans). Getting some great ideas... radio (NPR or Classic Rock in Tulsa) is on the red tool chest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
What's your build area, shop, room look like?

A mess.

Need to build more shelving for storage.
The guest room is rapidly becoming my rocket storage room.:confused:
Laters.

I agree. On top of the sub-floor I'm going to use 8mm rubber rolls (as shown in my video).
These things are great if anyone else is interested:
www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/pre-cut-regrind-roll.html

The space is 24' x 48' with 12' ceilings so it will definitely be a larger space than I had before, which I am looking forward to. I'm planning for a 5' x 15' work table, which I'm really looking forward to!

John: Do you have any new pictures of your completed shop?

Mine is in the storage room along with......storage (okay maybe junk but downsizing) and the important area - my brewery. Havent done much building in a while; more accumulating. Pics when time allows. Been away from the forum for a while. Life has taken over lol

Back