Upscale Quinstar build(s)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted today. Two coats of white primer, followed by two coats of Rustoleum blue metallic. Sooooo much fun trying to get the paint into all the nooks and crannies. Have one spot on top where there is an obvious run, but overall I think it looks good. Now I gotta work on some decals.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491165850.476536.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491165850.476536.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
That is now one of my favorite colors! Nice! Blue metallic huh... I'll have to try that one of these days.

And here it is, all gussied up:
attachment.php

I took inspiration from the original Estes design, but just tweaked it a bit for the sake of being different. Then I chose the holographic vinyl, also just because I wanted to try it. Not totally sure it was the right choice here, but it is interesting. It's incredibly hard to photograph.

And now all that is left is a bit of Future and it is done. Weather permitting, it'll fly in July at BARC.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1496195582.769375.jpg

It was a compliment- as in "Everything's Bright and Shiny, Cap'n."

Yup yup, no worries.

Still needs to fly.

Yes!

I'm thinking it'll go up just fine, wondering mostly about the down part, and how hard the landing will be.... Mine should come down softer than yours (lighter) but yours is *way* stronger (plywood)... we'll see!

Finally got this thing into the air yesterday at the BARC launch.

Look! I haz a rocket!
_MG_8742.jpg

And a nice blurry picture to prove that it actually did go up. That's an F15-0 in there (my first F, woohoo)
_MG_8750.jpg

Overall it flew fine, remarkably similar (shocking) to the regular Quinstar but, uh, bigger. I don't think it went as high as the regular Quinstar on a "D", but that's fine. It did get a nice amount of spin going at apogee, and then it fell straight down without flipping over (same both times).

Landing was no problem. It landed on the retainer on soft grass. Overall it seems plenty strong and I have little doubt this thing could take a G.

First time I launched it off a 1/4" rod, but the second time that one wasn't out so I just put it on a 4 foot long 3/16" rod and that was fine.

While I was loading it up someone called out "hey, is that an upscale Quinstar" and came running over to look at it before it launched. :)

Success!

Someone took a video...
[video=youtube;spMQWA8RMgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMQWA8RMgo[/video]

I don't think you can quite see the spin at the top of flight, although you can see it spinning on the way down. Charles, does that look significantly higher or lower than your flight, as far as you can tell? I'm guessing similar.

I think a little lower. I just looked back at a G80 flight. 2 sec burn, 1 sec coast, 7 sec fall.

Yours was a 3 sec burn, no coast, and a 4+ sec fall.

So I think a bit lower, bot not a lot lower.

OK, I really, really REALLY want to put one of the new G12s in my Quinstar. 12.7 glorious seconds of thrust. The thrustcurve shows a pretty good spike off the rod, then settles into a range of 10-12 N for the long haul. I need to double check that it's enough to keep the Quinstar going up, but it's not that much less than the F15.

For the price I would only do this once, but it would be so worth it (?).

Hazmat is a problem, though. Need to figure out a way to acquire one of these.

Too long a burn, not enough thrust. I put a D3 (6 sec burn) in a Snitch. I had the gentlest power prang I've ever seen. It went about as high as a B6, slowly arced over at about 200 feet, then slowly came down, burning out at about the time it impacted. Even a J99 in my 54 mm (22" OD) saucer was marginal.

Very cool Neil! I haven't seen this post before and I'm actually finishing a Quinstar now. I had recently decided on paint a few days ago...metallic blue with holographic stickers on top...I kid you not! :D

I haven't gone through all of this post yet, but from the start I would've suggested you look at the Rocketarium Vortico series...they basically have 18mm-29mm, so upscaling does work. I've flown my Turbo Vortico a number of times on F motors (including F15-0s...got a bunch of them cheap somewhere once) and it's a hoot! If yours flew fine on a F15, you can try some of the other motors recommended for the TV:
Turbo Vortico

Back