OpenRocket quitting unexpectedly when switching back from 3D view (macOS)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
Anybody else having this problem and if so is there a fix for it?

It's been maybe a year now that I've had this issue while using OpenRocket (v15.03) on my Mac: when switching back from one of the 3D views of the design to (for example) the side view, OpenRocket will just crash. I would say it happens about 99% of the time. I haven't tested all of the OR versions, but I can confirm that OR 14.11 and 13.05 also have this issue.

I'm running the latest version of Java on MacOS 10.12.1, but this issue began for me many Java versions ago back when I was still on OS X 10.11 or possibly 10.10 (can't say for sure).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

It does the exact same thing for me, and I don't think we are the only ones. I assume it's some sort of bug. I just restart it and don't give it much thought because it's still free and awesome.

Last edited:
Yes. I've gotten in the habit of keeping a photo studio window open to serve the purpose of providing 3D viewing. It's obviously much less convenient but it beats crashing.

I have the same issue on MacOS Sierra 10.12.1 running OR 15.03 with Java 8 update 111. It has been happening on previous iterations of my current config of the OS, OR and Java, and it does not really bother me any more. I know it is going to happen and I just make sure I save before I flip over to 3D view, which I rarely do.

Just a guess I think OpenRocket might not be supported any longer. It has been a very long time from the release of v15.03

Nope, a major new update is in the works. Admittedly the pace of releases is slow. I don't have a guess when the new version will be released; there are a lot of bugs to clean up. But it's getting there.

Nope, a major new update is in the works. Admittedly the pace of releases is slow. I don't have a guess when the new version will be released; there are a lot of bugs to clean up. But it's getting there.

Does anyone actually know if the OR team is aware of this bug, and will there be a fix for it in the next release?

I opened an issue on it. It has not yet been fixed.

As far as I can tell, there are a small number of people working on OR in their spare time, so the pace of development is really slow.

Thanks to the authors of OR! Daughter and I are digging into it now for some designs. :)

But... Subscribing, as I have the same issue.

OpenRocket 15.03
macOS 10.12.4

$ brew cask info java
java: 1.8.0_121-b13,e9e7ea248e2c4826b92b3f075a80e441
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
/usr/local/Caskroom/java/1.8.0_121-b13,e9e7ea248e2c4826b92b3f075a80e441 (223.3MB)
From: https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/blob/master/Casks/java.rb
==> Name
Java Standard Edition Development Kit
==> Artifacts
JDK 8 Update 121.pkg (pkg)

^- Java installed via Caskroom, as I refuse to install the Download crap and be hounded for updates forever.

Back