Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be able to get it until probably a week or so from now. I'm going to Alabama this week for orientation at college, and then after that I'll be able to go pick it up. :)

Major thanks to wfcook for his help in getting this rocket back!

This also calls to mind another fellow that deserves a special mention.

We all know and love our Mr Teddy Chernok, AKA onebadhawk. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from him saying "don't buy anything yet, I might have something worked out". Now, when I saw this email, I figured (him being a Loki dealer and all) that he'd be able to get me a discount on a new case. So Jim and I wait a few days, and haven't heard anything back. Finally, I get an email from him that damn near made me cry... showed me how awesome y'all really are.
The email (paraphrased) said that a few people on here had emailed Teddy telling him that they were interested in chipping in for a new case for me.
Yes, you read that right. A boneheaded move on my part that resulted in me losing my rocket, and people on here were willing to help me pay for it. It really speaks volumes to the character of some people on here.

I asked him to let me think about it for a day or 2. In some ways, it would really help me out, helping me not have to pay $375+ for a new case. But at the same time, I couldn't do that to you guys. It was a mistake on my part, and I needed to pay for it. Unlike my days of old on here, I just couldn't take a handout now. I feel like I've worked hard to change my reputation on here from what 13 year old me used to do. I want to keep the reputation I have. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a way of knowing who I needed to compensate in some way (just something I do).

I just seriously want to thank you guys for what you wanted to do. It seriously means a lot to me. And an extra thank you to anyone who volunteered to donate.

No TAP will sign off on a L3 cert flight that is recovered at that distance from the launch pad; "well outside the wavered zone"... Great to hear the rocket was found though.
party.gif

Ditto,

I'm late at replying as a city sewer line plugged up on April 29th (not my service line mind you as I'm responsible for that) and when the city truck routed out the mainline, it
blew the sludge out the toilet in the basement. I had the drain next to the toilet plugged but the toilet of course had a direct path. Glad I wasn't standing there!

Found out homeowners insurance doesn't cover this! Hoping city will help with restoration.

Anywho, I'm really glad Matt's rocket is found now. Yes, a rocket that lands outside the waiver area, even though intact, is a did not finish as far as a certification is concerned.
Every waiver has a radius and go outside if it, even if it's a nominal flight, is a failed attempt. Chose one's venue carefully if one wants to cover for an off-nominal event.
(Might not be practical though) Kurt (Sorry about detailing my woes but haven't been able to post in awhile. I apologize.)

Last edited:
I won't be able to get it until probably a week or so from now. I'm going to Alabama this week for orientation at college, and then after that I'll be able to go pick it up. :)

Major thanks to wfcook for his help in getting this rocket back!

This also calls to mind another fellow that deserves a special mention.

We all know and love our Mr Teddy Chernok, AKA onebadhawk. About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from him saying "don't buy anything yet, I might have something worked out". Now, when I saw this email, I figured (him being a Loki dealer and all) that he'd be able to get me a discount on a new case. So Jim and I wait a few days, and haven't heard anything back. Finally, I get an email from him that damn near made me cry... showed me how awesome y'all really are.
The email (paraphrased) said that a few people on here had emailed Teddy telling him that they were interested in chipping in for a new case for me.
Yes, you read that right. A boneheaded move on my part that resulted in me losing my rocket, and people on here were willing to help me pay for it. It really speaks volumes to the character of some people on here.

I asked him to let me think about it for a day or 2. In some ways, it would really help me out, helping me not have to pay $375+ for a new case. But at the same time, I couldn't do that to you guys. It was a mistake on my part, and I needed to pay for it. Unlike my days of old on here, I just couldn't take a handout now. I feel like I've worked hard to change my reputation on here from what 13 year old me used to do. I want to keep the reputation I have. Furthermore, I wouldn't have a way of knowing who I needed to compensate in some way (just something I do).

I just seriously want to thank you guys for what you wanted to do. It seriously means a lot to me. And an extra thank you to anyone who volunteered to donate.

Welcome to Huntsville!! You gonna come out with the SHC folks to the launch Sat?

fm

Motor case and electronics, we're pretty sure is a yes. Parachute is gone.

Excellent idea Matt,to use Craigs List. Ill have to keep that in mind..just ..in..case.
Congrats on the (belated) recovery. :)

Well... rocket has been retrieved by Bill. I'm getting it this weekend. However, he pulled the video off the onboard camera... Some VERY interesting information has been found.

Motor case and electronics, we're pretty sure is a yes. Parachute is gone.

Chute gone? Sorry about that. Seems like someone stole it. I'll be curious to hear if the shock cord was cut, or if it appeared to have snapped and was lost during flight. I doubt that due to how far away it was recovered and was seen coming down on main. Thieves frustrate me...

Looks like you took some tube damage as well. The booster tube looks a bit indented on the ends. That seems odd since I'd expect it to come down butt-first into the trees. Maybe it was cut from trees and fell from a decent height? If you fly it again, be sure to carefully inspect the internal and external filets for cracks. I'd suggest drilling small holes and using a borescope to check the internal filets. Heaven forbid you toss a fin during your second flight.

Good luck on your analysis!

...or if it appeared to have snapped and was lost during flight. I doubt that due to how far away it was recovered and was seen coming down on main. Thieves frustrate me...

No, I watched that thing down to the horizon. Chute was definitely attached.

It could just be that the chute was tangled up in a tree, and to get the rocket back they had to disconnect the chute+shock cord from the body. I can't imagine someone would take a chute and leave a rocket behind?

Either that or the chute was the second gunman behind the grassy knoll, and is now hiding in the witness protection program under the assumed name "Tim Lehr".

Recovery notes:

Yesterday I went to the farm to get Matt's rocket. The approach to the farm is a gravel drive lined with signs that say 'keep out', 'trespassers will be prosecuted', etc. The rocket was leaning up against some farm equipment and I am not sure whether it was placed there in anticipation of my arrival or whether it has been there for some time. As I began to examine the rocket I became aware that I was being approached by a very large creature that I am pretty sure was a warg but which the farmer's wife later claimed was was a dog. It approached, sniffed my leg, and tried to pee on it (I dodged, thankfully). After a couple of tense minutes the farmer's wife came out and said, "down boy," at which point the 'dog' decided I was his best friend. The farmer's wife then said, "get off him," and I was able to get up, dust myself off, ask a few questions, give her the small reward, and load the rocket into the truck. The farmer's wife did not appear to know much about where the rocket had been found and I was pretty busy with the 'dog', so I didn't get much info from her.

The rocket is in reasonable shape but not completely unscathed. The most obvious thing is that all of the laundry is missing. The harnesses have been cut and I am theorizing that it came down very close to a tree line and the parachute had to be cut free. There is damage to the shoulder of the nose cone which is consistent with being pulled over the branch of a tree and catching in a bough.

I was able to download the video from the 808 camera, which you can see below:

[video=youtube;eGvS7NrdA1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGvS7NrdA1o[/video]

A few notes:
  1. Launch occurs at 0:07
  2. The first event occurs at 0:28
  3. The rocket touches down in grass, very close to the trees, at 4:51
  4. At 2:11 the intersection of Ell Downes and Goldsboro Rd is clearly visible
  5. At 2:29 you can pretty clearly see the house between Beaver Damn Farm Ln and Mason Branch
  6. At 2:54 you can see Diggins Rd and Goldsboro Rd. The rocket seems to come straight down toward this location for some time.
  7. At 4:38 you can clearly see the brownish-looking house with a roof line that matches 24592 Goldsboro Rd.
  8. At 4:44 the rocket is quite low and right over the farmer's house.
  9. You then see a lot of trees from the side and the the rocket pitches back down and lands in the grass

My tentative observations:
  • The audio is not very good, but I cannot hear the various charges going off distinctly, although all four charges appear to have fired at some point. It could be that they all went off at once but it's just too hard to tell
  • I think it likely that the laundry got caught up in the trees
  • I cannot get the av-bay out of the payload section (at least not easily) and the all-thread is a bit rusted, leading me to speculate that the rocket has seen some rain.
  • I was able to unscrew the av-bay from the wrong end (actually it twisted off the wing-nuts that were inside the payload section). Everything in there appears intact and I see no signs of corrosion.
  • The motor casing appears to be in good shape, although I have not removed it as I can't think of a better place to keep it safe than right where it is. Have fun cleaning that one, Matt.
  • As I reported, the nose cone suffered some damage.

It could just be that the chute was tangled up in a tree, and to get the rocket back they had to disconnect the chute+shock cord from the body. I can't imagine someone would take a chute and leave a rocket behind?

This would be my first guess as well, how often have we as fliers had to sacrifice a chute to get the rocket back, look at from the perspective of the individual who recovered the rocket, that chute ain't worth life or limb to salvage like it would be to us.

Hmmm, A victim of a low camera angle. Always a good idea to have the camera angled out at 15 degrees or so for a better field of view. Seems to be a lesson here about expediently proceeding through the certification cycle. Nothing wrong with that per se but some time/years flying before an L3 attempt might allow the acquisition of skills to avoid the main at apogee, the low camera angle and the usage of the wrong battery in the tracker.

Bottom line though is the rocket is recovered and with some work could be re-prepped for another attempt. I doubt the same issues will crop up next time except fix that camera angle! :wink: Kurt

Back