Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a coupler fiberglassed today.

I started by mixing up some epoxy, and putting a little bit of marking chalk in. This helps me determine if the epoxy is fully mixed. Note that I took a bit of the chalk out after I took this picture. You really don't need much at all.

After mixing, you get this. Looks really pretty:

Then we have the fiberglass, which is standard 6oz glass from US Composites.

I didn't get many pictures of the actual fiberglassing, but here's one from when I was grabbing the next piece of cloth.

It's currently out in my workshop curing.

I'm also happy to report that the tubes are completely cured and off the mandrel. I'll go up to pick them up sometime soon. Fins come back next wednesday.

Well, I'll start off tonight's post by reminding everyone that you should be very careful about which dye container you grab.

What color would you say the above dye is? Black, or blue, or something similar, right?

Yeah. Wrong.

I present what I swear I thought was going to be black epoxy. ^^^

I set up one side of each fin pocket, labeling each part.

Everything got secured with some epoxy.

Also, my fins came in today. Thanks to Eric C for the motivational quote on the fins:

More work has been accomplished:

Fins glued in:

A bit hard to see but you can see the T2T glass job:

Tried cutting fin slots with a dremel. That didn't work too well.

Pulled out the jigsaw and finished them up pretty quickly.

Dry fit:

And both parts together:

I tried to get a full stack pic but it doesn't fit in our garage. :)

Matt, those fiber/abrasive discs for Dremels never seem to work well in plastics, FG, and CF instead try one of these discs from Dremel, they are very good with most the non-metal materials we work with in rocketry and because of the hole pattern in the disk its easy to see though the disc. The edge cuts and the flats sand slotting airframes is easy peasy!

View attachment 308857

Matt, those fiber/abrasive discs for Dremels never seem to work well in plastics, FG, and CF instead try one of these discs from Dremel, they are very good with most the non-metal materials we work with in rocketry and because of the hole pattern in the disk its easy to see though the disc. The edge cuts and the flats sand slotting airframes is easy peasy!

+1 for the Dremel cutting disk

Very nice build thread. I plan on being at LDRS36 and hope to see your L3 flight, good luck...

Last edited:
Some other things:

Aligning the fins would be a problem. I didn't have a jig. Therefore, I improvised.

So here's what I came up with. I drew an X on my workbench in sharpie. The X was drawn with the legs being 90* apart, and a 7.51" circle in the middle. I then placed the motor mount on top of the X and aligned the fins with the legs of the x. However, I wasn't tall enough. I'm only 6 feet tall. The fin can on top of the workbench was almost the same height. AKA it was impossible to align the fins to the X.

Cue the ladder.

Hence being the first time I've ever had to use a ladder to build a rocket.

I also got a rail button guide glued in. I took a piece of 2x4, sanded it to match the inside of the coupler tube, and glued it in. I rounded all of the edges to make it harder for anything to snag the edge of the tube.

I coated a 1/4 x 20 screw in mold release, and screwed it into the tnut, therefore ensuring that epoxy wouldn't interfere with the threading.

From the outside:

It was a bit cold last night.

I did a full stack test the other day. However, it doesn't fit in the garage. Gotta wait for the snow to melt so I can bring it outside and stand it up in all it's glory. Next up in the project is the external fillets and second layer of tip to tip. However, robotics has started, so I won't be able to hit this as often.

Thanks for watching!

Hey Gus I will need to contact you at some point , your not taking messages thanks Chris

Exciting! I got the decals for this ordered today:

Also, I was finally able to get a full stack photo:

As well as one featuring the doggies:

I'll get fillets and T2T done sometime this week.
The goal is to have this done to show off at an Astronomy Days Event at the local museum.

I'm 6'0" with engineering math. Which means 5'11 3/4".

I haven't weighed it yet. I'm guessing it will be right around 35 pounds empty.

Picked up one of these for the onboard video:
71tignTQXaL._SL1500_.jpg

I also picked up the paint for after I get the T2T done.

Nice camera. How do you plan on mounting it? Do they make shrouds for those cameras?

I picked up a Matecam. For the money, it gives great wide angle video with a small size.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQHA744/

I shot this using it:

[video=youtube;z-Ft5uJAwXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ft5uJAwXA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be 3D printing a shroud for it. I also picked it up just to play around with (family has a Go-Pro but they weren't to keen on the idea of me launching it in a rocket). :)

It also fits in a 3" diameter rocket, so I'll be figuring out how to mount it in my 3" darkstar.

I've been fussing a lot with my tube glassing and the mylar wrap. I've got almost all the tube glassy smooth except a few areas. Those areas have a lot of texture that I'll need to fill. I noticed that your glassing didn't have a peel ply or mylar wrap? Maybe I missed it. But how do you plan on getting a smooth surface for painting? Going to cover with a veil later?

Yeah. Robotics build season has been busy, so I haven't had much time. :) I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Hey everyone!

Yes, this build is still alive and well. I started priming the rocket, and I'll be having Mistah Scarpinini paint this thing.

With regards to ground testing, I'll most likely have to do that at the launch. With the way timing is working out, and when I can get the parachutes, I won't be able to ground test this most likely at my house. I'll do the ground test at LDRS. Don't worry, this time, I'll actually be telling the RSO what's going on so I don't get to meet the Tripoli BOD again. ;)

I'm finishing tweaking some parts of the nose cone bay. It will be cool when it's done. :)

Hey everyone!

Yes, this build is still alive and well. I started priming the rocket, and I'll be having Mistah Scarpinini paint this thing.

With regards to ground testing, I'll most likely have to do that at the launch. With the way timing is working out, and when I can get the parachutes, I won't be able to ground test this most likely at my house. I'll do the ground test at LDRS. Don't worry, this time, I'll actually be telling the RSO what's going on so I don't get to meet the Tripoli BOD again. ;)

I'm finishing tweaking some parts of the nose cone bay. It will be cool when it's done. :)

If you need a windless place to weigh your powder and prep charges I'll have my trailer there complete with gram scales and tools there. Looking forward to seeing this fly.

Got some pictures which will be uploaded soon when I have time. I was knocked up on Monday thanks to the flu so I slept for 14 hours. Not fun. That was when I was planning on doing a lot of this.

I bought some 0.002" shim stock, which I glued to the inside of the tube where the sheer pins will go. It works super nicely.

I also bought a gallon of bondo. I proceeded to see how crappy my fiberglassing job actually was. once I upload the pic, you'll see what I mean.

To Do list:

STRUCTURAL
Cut thrust plate (tomorrow morning)
Attach thrust plate and aeropack
Drill shear pin holes
Drill holes for screws to attach sections

ELECTRICAL
Drill mounting holes for altimeters.
Wire altimeter bay.
Ground test charges

COSMETIC
Drop rocket off to be painted (Thanks jim)
Install decals after ground testing

TESTING
Ground test charges (will be done Thursday at LDRS).

DOCUMENTATION
Finish L3 Package
Fill out Certification form

FLYING
Shove the M1200 in the rocket and fly the darn thing.

LDRS is really sneaking up on me. Time to really get rolling on this.

(Sorry for any typos, typed this in a rush before I leave school).

Pictures!

I added shear pin assistants (0.002" shim stock) to the inside of the body tube where the nose cone goes in. I used a dremel to sand the body tube down some on the inside, then CA'd a small piece:

It's a bit hard to see (didn't have good lighting) but here's what it looks like:

The nose cone slides on with no interference whatsoever.

Shot a coat of primer on everything (except the nose cone, it was already black when I got it).

Getting the paint to dry quicker.

All taped up and ready to shoot the black on the fins:

Going pretty well.

Decided to add another coat of black on the nose cone to make it look a bit prettier.

Cutting the thrust plate later today, and then dropping the rocket off at Jim's to get painted and brought up to LDRS.

Next up, altimeter bay.

Pictures!

I added shear pin assistants (0.002" shim stock) to the inside of the body tube where the nose cone goes in. I used a dremel to sand the body tube down some on the inside, then CA'd a small piece:

It's a bit hard to see (didn't have good lighting) but here's what it looks like:

The nose cone slides on with no interference whatsoever.

Shot a coat of primer on everything (except the nose cone, it was already black when I got it).

Getting the paint to dry quicker.

All taped up and ready to shoot the black on the fins:

Going pretty well.

Decided to add another coat of black on the nose cone to make it look a bit prettier.

Cutting the thrust plate later today, and then dropping the rocket off at Jim's to get painted and brought up to LDRS.

Next up, altimeter bay.
Nice!

Back